MICROVISION (1979) - World’s First Handheld System - Review of System and All 12 Games

The readers post their own reviews.
djc

Re: MICROVISION (1979) - World’s First Handheld System - Review of System and All 12 Games

Postby djc » February 14th, 2018, 12:21 am

scotland wrote:Wow! That is amazing tech. How in the world was this profitable for MB?

Your thread has really taken off! Great stuff.

On account that the Microvision was only on the market for 2-3 years and there are only about 12 games, I'd say it was not very profitable at all for MB :D

SpiceWare

Re: MICROVISION (1979) - World’s First Handheld System - Review of System and All 12 Games

Postby SpiceWare » March 29th, 2018, 5:55 pm

Retro STrife wrote:- Many of the Microvision games, like Connect Four (pictured below), use overlays on the cartridge to make up for the lack of graphical capabilities.
hqdefault_2.jpg

The overlays could differ, mine had the rounded holes for Connect Four. I recall playing the square hole version once and finding it more difficult to tell which piece was which than with the rounded.

IMG_0723.jpg
IMG_0723.jpg (124.13 KiB) Viewed 2895 times

There's an replacement screen project going on at AtariAge.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » March 29th, 2018, 8:05 pm

SpiceWare wrote:The overlays could differ, mine had the rounded holes for Connect Four. I recall playing the square hole version once and finding it more difficult to tell which piece was which than with the rounded.

I have the same version of Connect Four that you show there, with the round holes. I wonder if the square-hole version is one of the European cartridges? But, even with the round holes, it can be tough to distinguish your pieces - especially as the board fills up.

Return to “Reader Reviews”