Console Launch Reviews

The readers post their own reviews.
a1

Console Launch Reviews

Postby a1 » January 15th, 2007, 6:24 am

[QUOTE=Shawn]

Wii launch and "A". Are you flipping kidding me? That is a joke. Ok you have Zelda which has been in development for a million years and was originally intended for the GC.

You like mini games? Ok, you have plenty of that with more to come!

What about racers, FPS, innovative, ground breaking titles? Not sure if there is much to go around.

Like somebody else said, if you like Zelda, you are happy. But if you are like me and like racing and action games the the Wii is a D- launch at best.

Of PS3, 360 and Wii I still think the 360 launch was the best.

[/QUOTE]

Racer-Excite Truck-It's an A game despite what all the reviews say. If you played it for more than 30 seconds you'd like it too Shawn.

FPS-Call of Duty 3- It may just be a watered down port, but it lays the foundation for good FPS games on the Wii in the future. I played the new Perfect Dark, and it wasn't that great. All it did was lay the foundation for good FPS games on the 360 in the future.

Innovative- Wii Sports, and Rayman-Say what you want, but both are innovative, and fun.

Action-Zelda- Why does Zelda not count as an action game to you Shawn?

You keep acting as though you are completely unbiased Shawn, but every post you have bashes Nintendo. I have 4 great games on my Wii Shawn, and I didn't see a single 360 launch game that I gave a crap about. I think the 360 looks pretty good now, but to me its launch was awful.

Maybe you don't like the games in the Wii launch, but stop saying all there was was mini-games and Zelda. There were plenty of Wii games that weren't mini-games, and how can you expect every genre to be filled in a launch anyway? The 360 had less games in its launch, and less genres were present. The Wii had plenty of consoles out, little to no faulty systems (cough-red light-cough), and 16 games at launch. That's a damn good launch in my eyes.

sega saturn x

Console Launch Reviews

Postby sega saturn x » January 15th, 2007, 8:29 am

[QUOTE=voor]

Quick ?--> Do you think that if the Wii was not packaged with Wii Sports it would have cost $199??

[/QUOTE]

Not a chance in hell.

Shawn

Console Launch Reviews

Postby Shawn » January 15th, 2007, 9:54 am

[QUOTE=a][QUOTE=Shawn]

Wii launch and "A". Are you flipping kidding me? That is a joke. Ok you have Zelda which has been in development for a million years and was originally intended for the GC.

You like mini games? Ok, you have plenty of that with more to come!

What about racers, FPS, innovative, ground breaking titles? Not sure if there is much to go around.

Like somebody else said, if you like Zelda, you are happy. But if you are like me and like racing and action games the the Wii is a D- launch at best.

Of PS3, 360 and Wii I still think the 360 launch was the best.

[/QUOTE]

Racer-Excite Truck-It's an A game despite what all the reviews say. If you played it for more than 30 seconds you'd like it too Shawn.

FPS-Call of Duty 3- It may just be a watered down port, but it lays the foundation for good FPS games on the Wii in the future. I played the new Perfect Dark, and it wasn't that great. All it did was lay the foundation for good FPS games on the 360 in the future.

Innovative- Wii Sports, and Rayman-Say what you want, but both are innovative, and fun.

Action-Zelda- Why does Zelda not count as an action game to you Shawn?

You keep acting as though you are completely unbiased Shawn, but every post you have bashes Nintendo. I have 4 great games on my Wii Shawn, and I didn't see a single 360 launch game that I gave a crap about. I think the 360 looks pretty good now, but to me its launch was awful.

Maybe you don't like the games in the Wii launch, but stop saying all there was was mini-games and Zelda. There were plenty of Wii games that weren't mini-games, and how can you expect every genre to be filled in a launch anyway? The 360 had less games in its launch, and less genres were present. The Wii had plenty of consoles out, little to no faulty systems (cough-red light-cough), and 16 games at launch. That's a damn good launch in my eyes.

[/QUOTE]

Hey I am glad you like the games. I have actually played Excite Truck a lot. I don't think it is an "A" title (not even close) but the game is ok. I think PGR3 and Burnout are MUCH better. As far as the Wii having no problems; the straps are all being replaced, some units are burning up, some units are dying, etc, etc. I would hardly call these monumental problems but they are there. Zelda is an action game? I would agree but if so it is very repetitive. Now, I have not played a lot of TP but I found Windwaker's action elements to be boring as hell.

COD3 plays and looks much better on the 360, why would I buy a Wii for my favorite genre (FPS) when it offers virtually no multiplayer, inferior graphics and inferior control?

Listen, I think you could say this about a lot of things; it really depends on what type of games you like. I am glad you like you Wii. It's off to a great start but I need to see A LOT more from the system before I buy it.

sega saturn x

Console Launch Reviews

Postby sega saturn x » January 15th, 2007, 11:14 am

Call of duty 3 doesn't lay the foundation for anything on the wii, that game was terrible.  I put a good 3 hours into it and the only thing I came away with is if they don't improve from that FPS are doomed on the wii.  On a side note I still play call of duty 3 often on live so I am a fan of the game.

a1

Console Launch Reviews

Postby a1 » January 15th, 2007, 4:03 pm

[QUOTE=Shawn]

As far as the Wii having no problems; the straps are all being replaced, some units are burning up, some units are dying, etc, etc. I would hardly call these monumental problems but they are there. 

[/QUOTE]

The straps are only being replaced because idiots are throwing their remotes at 90 mph. The other problems are incredibly limited, and no where near the scale of the problems the 360 had. All I'm saying is that the Wii had plenty of consoles out at launch, very few problems, and a large selection of games. Maybe you don't like the games, but a good number have gotten 8 averages or higher, and a lot of people do like them. Just because you don't like what's out there doesn't make it a bad launch. If a system launched with a killer MMORPG, a great sims game, and a few good squad based FPS games I would not buy it. But I wouldn't say it was a bad launch.

Funkmaster V

Console Launch Reviews

Postby Funkmaster V » January 17th, 2007, 12:35 am

All of this is pretty subjective, ya know.

I am not a Nintendo fanboy, but I have always been into NEW game experiences. The Wii launch was amazing to me, and I'm a guy that doesn't care about the Zelda. I would like to play Trauma Center, Super Monkey Ball, Excite Truck, Call of Duty 3, Ravin Rabbids, Wii Sports, etc.

As far as the PS3 and Xbox 360 launches... (yawn). Sorry, First Person Shooters were boring to me in 1999. I have alot of race games on the shelf... I'd like to play something unique, please.

So yeah, the Wii kicks ass. I thought the Gamecube's launch was awesome, too... Monkey Ball, Pikmin, Rouge Leader, Super Smash Bros. Sadly, the library didn't experience consistant released games like this over the long haul.

As mentioned before, the PS2 didn't have a great launch... but look at that system now. It's pretty hard to compete with since it got many of the GC's best games late in its life and if you didn't like Halo/ Ninja Gaiden/ Fable/ Elder Scrolls... there really is no comparison.

Funkmaster V

bluemonkey1

Console Launch Reviews

Postby bluemonkey1 » January 17th, 2007, 7:28 am

Right because all FPS games play alike.  Oh and all racing games are the same too.

Clearly the only thing in gaming that offers a new experience is a different controller.

Please.

Funkmaster V

Console Launch Reviews

Postby Funkmaster V » January 17th, 2007, 8:57 am

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]

Right because all FPS games play alike.  Oh and all racing games are the same too.

Clearly the only thing in gaming that offers a new experience is a different controller.

Please.

[/QUOTE]

Has it even dawned on you that to some people that may be true?

"Weeeeeeeeee!!!! I'm shooting a guy! Now I'm shooting a robot! Now I'm shooting an alien!!! It's all different!!!"

Boring.

"Weeeeeeeee!!! I'm driving in a space car!!! Now I'm on a motorbike!!! Now I'm in San Fransicso!!!! It's all different!!!"

Boring.

The controler has nothing to do with it, wifey-poo. New ideas do, Susan. Shooting people in the first and driving the video car has BEEN DONE TO DEATH!!! I SAY SH*T ON IT ALL!!!! Give me something new!!!

Again, I don't understand you guys arguing people's personal preferences. You aren't gonna change my perspective on boring ass First Person shooters and driving games that are released by the truckloads. I'm not gonna change yours on why those games suck. Sorry, Monica... not gonna happen!

Funkmaster V

bluemonkey1

Console Launch Reviews

Postby bluemonkey1 » January 17th, 2007, 1:15 pm

Right because PGR plays like Ridge Racer yeah?

For example I have all of the launch FPS games on 360 (still waiting for Far Cry to arrive though).  Perfect Dark Zero, Call of Duty 2 and Quake 4 all play and feel completely different to each other.  It is more than just the type of enemy.  There are such things as gameplay mechanics which you may have heard off.

Alienblue

Console Launch Reviews

Postby Alienblue » January 17th, 2007, 1:26 pm

Agreed, Funky! Except for driving / Flying simulations, our generations CONSTANT use of 3-D just bores me. I too think all FPS games look and play like DOOM. BORRRING! All First Person Platformers play alike too. Before EVERYTHING was "into the screen" we had side view, diagnol "zaxxon" view, overhead and side scroll, and the beauty of 2-D is YOU KNOW WHAT THE @#$%!S going ON around you-off to the sides and back!!!

"BUT IT IS SO MUCH MORE REALISTIC AND LIFE LIKE!" EXACTLY!
Did it ever occur to 3-D'ers that games are supposed to be an ESCAPE from reality? I got out of Mordern Model Trains for a similiar reason-TOO MUCH TECHNOLOGY made it no fun- now you must use your computer to track all train movements, issue waybills, obey speed limits, etc,etc... fun as doing Calculus homework!
PHBBBBT!

Return to “Reader Reviews”