Console Launch Reviews

The readers post their own reviews.
m0zart1

Console Launch Reviews

Postby m0zart1 » January 17th, 2007, 1:35 pm

[QUOTE=Alienblue]Agreed, Funky! Except for driving / Flying simulations, our generations CONSTANT use of 3-D just bores me. I too think all FPS games look and play like DOOM. BORRRING! All First Person Platformers play alike too. Before EVERYTHING was "into the screen" we had side view, diagnol "zaxxon" view, overhead and side scroll, and the beauty of 2-D is YOU KNOW WHAT THE @#$%!S going ON around you-off to the sides and back!!![/QUOTE]

You're going to have to get used to the fact that 3D games are here to stay.  And I am glad of it.  It's not like 2D gaming has been replaced entirely.  Thanks to the Gameboy and DS line, 2D gaming is here to stay forever.  Besides that, XBOX Live Arcade and the Wii Virtual Console have given a home to 2D games, especially since both are promising to provide new games for older consoles.

Funkmaster V

Console Launch Reviews

Postby Funkmaster V » January 17th, 2007, 2:24 pm

[QUOTE=Alienblue]Agreed, Funky! Except for driving / Flying simulations, our generations CONSTANT use of 3-D just bores me. I too think all FPS games look and play like DOOM. BORRRING! All First Person Platformers play alike too. Before EVERYTHING was "into the screen" we had side view, diagnol "zaxxon" view, overhead and side scroll, and the beauty of 2-D is YOU KNOW WHAT THE @#$%!S going ON around you-off to the sides and back!!!

"BUT IT IS SO MUCH MORE REALISTIC AND LIFE LIKE!" EXACTLY!
Did it ever occur to 3-D'ers that games are supposed to be an ESCAPE from reality? I got out of Mordern Model Trains for a similiar reason-TOO MUCH TECHNOLOGY made it no fun- now you must use your computer to track all train movements, issue waybills, obey speed limits, etc,etc... fun as doing Calculus homework!
PHBBBBT! [/QUOTE]

I agree with most of that, but I like 3D games a bunch, too. Pikmin, Super Monkey Ball, God of War, Fable, Ninja Gaiden Black are just as fun as games as Rampart, Crystal Mines 2, Street Fighter 2, Metal Slug, and Ms. Pac-Man. I just like variety is all.

Funkmaster V

feilong801

Console Launch Reviews

Postby feilong801 » January 17th, 2007, 3:11 pm

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]Right because PGR plays like Ridge Racer yeah?

For example I have all of the launch FPS games on 360 (still waiting for Far Cry to arrive though).  Perfect Dark Zero, Call of Duty 2 and Quake 4 all play and feel completely different to each other.  It is more than just the type of enemy.  There are such things as gameplay mechanics which you may have heard off.

[/QUOTE]

To us hardcore gamers, yes, there is major differences between Halo 2, Gears of War, and Farcry. But to everybody else, all three of those games are near identical. That is what makes the Wii hardware (and Nintendo's stratagy in general) effective. They do not get intimidated and fooled by a hardcore minority.

-Rob

bluemonkey1

Console Launch Reviews

Postby bluemonkey1 » January 17th, 2007, 4:11 pm

No the majority of gamers can appreciate the difference.  Gears plays completely different to Halo and casual gamers do appreciate that.

sega saturn x

Console Launch Reviews

Postby sega saturn x » January 17th, 2007, 6:53 pm

Anyone who says those three games are the same must have a syndrome fo some sort.  Seriously this last page is so full of garabge it's not even funny.  But what is funny is Vinnie says all FPS are the same yet he wants to play Call of duty 3 for the wii?  I guess he doesn't like FPS unless they are really, really bad.

Shawn

Console Launch Reviews

Postby Shawn » January 17th, 2007, 8:32 pm

[QUOTE=feilong80]

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]Right because PGR plays like Ridge Racer yeah?

For example I have all of the launch FPS games on 360 (still waiting for Far Cry to arrive though).  Perfect Dark Zero, Call of Duty 2 and Quake 4 all play and feel completely different to each other.  It is more than just the type of enemy.  There are such things as gameplay mechanics which you may have heard off.

[/QUOTE]

To us hardcore gamers, yes, there is major differences between Halo 2, Gears of War, and Farcry. But to everybody else, all three of those games are near identical. That is what makes the Wii hardware (and Nintendo's stratagy in general) effective. They do not get intimidated and fooled by a hardcore minority.

-Rob

[/QUOTE]

The Wii can't run any of those games! Are you telling me an "average" gamer can't tell the difference, I think you are wrong. Even the average gamer can tell you that Farcry on the Wii is a joke. It doesn't take a genius to point out the terrible graphics, gameplay and lack of multiplayer! So basically what you are saying is that the "average" gamer is an idiot and Nintendo finally figured this out after 25 years in the biz and NOW they will be on top again. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...................................

feilong801

Console Launch Reviews

Postby feilong801 » January 17th, 2007, 11:25 pm

My point has been misunderstood. I'll clarify it, since I've thought about it a bit more and I don't think I put it across as well as I could have.

I was trying to say that if you aren't a fan of realistic, modern 3D action games (which, by the way, I am), than everything in that genre is going to be the same to you. It was a mistake on my part to use the term hardcore gamer because I suppose you could be a hardcore oldschool gamer. 

So, if you are not a fan of 3D action games, the Wii might afford an interesting choice amongst the new consoles. I'm not even sure I understand how the "but Farcry on Wii sucks! All the FPS games on Wii sucks!" statements have anything at all to do with that at all. I certainly wasn't trying to defend those games.

All in all, the reason that people like Alienblue and Funkmaster V are excited about the Wii is that it offers something different, just like the DS did.

Here is the really important thing to remember:

Yes, different controls aren't the only way to have a new experience. But at its core, gameplay has been changed only with visual presentation while the actual, tactile sensation has been the same: button pushing.  With the Wii, the experience in fundamentally changed, especially in the games that really use the technology well.

The fact that Nintendo has accomplished such an important innovation in a game system that actually costs significantly less than its competitors is a huge, massive achievement. I have yet to hear any arguments against the Wii that have real substance. They usually boil down to:

1. Nintendo actually screwed people equal to or even worse than Sony (laughable, but its been argued).

2. It doesn't have "the games." It does have them, but the person arguing this point is really saying "they don't have games that fit my very narrow tastes."

3. It's just going to be a bunch of Mario and Link games. Well, we'll see on that one. Time will tell, but it seems fairly obvious that cheaper development costs and huge early sales = great support.

4. Games will be gimmicky and stupid. So far, not true. Either the game is has solid traditional gameplay and the new controls help it out a bit, or the controls are fully uilitized well.

At any rate, I'm going to make a personal promise to stop arguing about the Wii for awhile...... I think I've said all I could say by now!

-Rob

a1

Console Launch Reviews

Postby a1 » January 18th, 2007, 1:26 am

Pretty sure the Wii could run Halo 2 shawn.

bluemonkey1

Console Launch Reviews

Postby bluemonkey1 » January 18th, 2007, 3:31 am

I like all games except sports games.  The only Wii title to interest me is Zelda.  I do not have a narrow perspective.

Quake 4, PDZ and Call of Duty 2 are not realistic FPS like you said they were.

Many of the Wii's games have been gimmicky in my opinion.  The reviews of the launch games weren't exactly great on a whole and the scores on Gamespot were lower than the 360's launch titles.

Alienblue

Console Launch Reviews

Postby Alienblue » January 18th, 2007, 5:15 am

Time to respond to some posts!

"You are going to have to get used to 3-D"

No, YOU are going to be upset, I would bet anything, when 3-D is replaced by "The next big thing"... I'm guessing full virtual reality like Star Trek's holodecks. You will be like me then, wishing for the simpler,cheaper,easier "3-D" times!-Grampa!

"I don't dislike all 3-D games..."

Whoa, neither do I! I said I prefer driving games to be 3-D. I was happy in the 16 bit era when SOME games were 3-D (Outrun, Space Harrier, many space games, etc..) , but today like 95% of CONSOLE games are 3-D! We need 3-D, yes, but we also need more Metal Slugs, Viewtiful Joes and 2-D Mario/Sonics!

"The Wii is just gimmicky..."

Careful, that's EXACTLY what they said about the DS. The touch screen was just a GIMMICK. Look at how many DS lovers there are now. Not all DS games make full use (or ANY use) of the touch screen but the DS is a great system, in fact, in my opinion a LOT of those Wii's sold were bought by happy DS owners! I don't own and have no intention of getting a Wii, but I think it'll last!

Return to “Reader Reviews”