Thrill Kill (unreleased PS1)

The readers post their own reviews.
Zack Burner

Thrill Kill (unreleased PS1)

Postby Zack Burner » November 23rd, 2019, 8:11 am

You guys won't be hearing from me for a while, so this one will be my last one before I go on a hiatus. When you think of a violent game, the first games that come to mind are Mortal Kombat and Doom. But this one put both to instant shame though EA game didn't release it as they didn't want some senselessly violet game to tarnish their image that they pulled the plug and after seeing some game footage, it's not hard to see why! Unlike Mortal Kombat the fights are matches of 4 and you don't have health meters a gauge builds up as you inflict damage and when it reaches full you unleash a fatality called a Thrill Kill an ultraviolent way of dispatching your opponent which can range from unimaginable ways such as ramming a cattle prod down someone's throat, yanking off someone's head off with a chain, pounding the opponent till their a bloody stain in the floor, dismemberment, etc. The characters are all nightmare inducing the ones that take the cake include a brawny hunched over gorilla-like man, a contortionist, conjoined twins at the torso, a cannibal holding a severed leg, and the cream of the crop a mad surgeon with a bear trap for a mouth. Yikes! The developers however placed the game on the internet for download though, but play at your own risk!

Verm3

Re: Thrill Kill (unreleased PS1)

Postby Verm3 » November 25th, 2019, 6:42 am

The engine for Thrill Kill was reused for Wu-tang taste the pain though.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » November 25th, 2019, 5:06 pm

Interesting - I never heard that they released it online. I just watched a video of it though. Thanks for the tip. I assume it's in unfinished form, so how well does it play and control?

Zack Burner wrote:You guys won't be hearing from me for a while, so this one will be my last one before I go on a hiatus.

Hope it's nothing we did! See you back soon.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » November 25th, 2019, 5:48 pm

Retro STrife wrote:Interesting - I never heard that they released it online. I just watched a video of it though. Thanks for the tip. I assume it's in unfinished form, so how well does it play and control?

Zack Burner wrote:You guys won't be hearing from me for a while, so this one will be my last one before I go on a hiatus.

Hope it's nothing we did! See you back soon.

None of you guys did anything! I’m just going on a trip next month and I won’t be around until after Christmas. Anyway since I didn’t play the game, I just watched footage, I don’t know how much it actually plays.

Verm3

Postby Verm3 » November 26th, 2019, 8:06 am

I believe four different betas in different states of playability appeared online.

I played two of them years and years ago and at least one of them hung whenever a specific character, Mammoth, came up, but otherwise seemed fully playable; it is my understanding that it was canceled very close to the games completion.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » November 26th, 2019, 3:07 pm

Indeed, Verm. There was quite a bit of hype surrounding Thrill Kill, and I remember seeing plenty of hands-on previews in magazines in addition to a few "Coming Soon" ads. There was at least some sort of minor promo merch, as well, as I once bought a used junker PS1 from a thrift shop that was covered in stickers, with a Thrill Kill sticker over the top of the lid. Even though the game never got a release, it was *that close*.

I'm pretty sure magazines received review copies of the game, much like they did for the Dreamcast version of Half-Life years later. It wasn't uncommon practice back then for magazines to run their reviews months ahead of a game's scheduled release, as there had to be plenty of lead time between the time a review was completed and the magazine went to press. Nintendo Power ran a review of the NES game based on Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves that even took up the cover story of the issue, only to have the game not release until about six months after the fact. Ah, the good ol' days!

Another similar unreleased game that comes to mind was the SNES port of Wing Commander II. GamePro reviewed the game and published the review in an issue, though the game never saw a release. To this day, no one is quite sure what happened to the final version of the game, as no review copy or master copy has as of yet been found... *cue spooky voice*

As you said, Thrill Kill did get rebranded as a Wu-Tang fighting game, which I think was released as Wu-Tang: Shaolin Style here in the US. If memory serves, there were codes to allow for decapitations and severed limbs, or maybe that feature was even in the game from the get-go. I never knew anyone who played it, even though I knew plenty of people who liked Wu-Tang at the time.

Verm3

Postby Verm3 » November 26th, 2019, 4:52 pm

Indeed it was called Wu-tang Shaolin in the U.S.

The game had a blood/adult code you had to enter when you started the game, to enable some stuff. The code was in the manual IIRC; I'm away from my PS1 games at the moment.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 28th, 2019, 9:55 am

Seems like I need to track this game if only for novelty value.

"Cash rules everything around me, CREAM get the money, dolla dolla bill yall!"

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » November 28th, 2019, 3:19 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:"Cash rules everything around me, CREAM get the money, dolla dolla bill yall!"

...BWAHAHAHA!! AWESOME!! Never in my life did I think I would see someone on these boards spout off some Wu, but come to think of it, I guess I don't really know you guys all that well. Nice to be pleasantly surprised every now and then :D

If memory serves, the Wu-Tang game came out about the same time as the W album, and I remember Gravel Pit being the big single at the time. I laughed so hard when I first saw that Flintstones-inspired video, and to this day, anytime someone mentions the RZA, all I can think of is "Bobby Boulders." Not as cool of a nickname as "Bo Rockhard," but then again, what is?

That video never, ever gets old. Heck, it's been a while, so I think I'll go pull it up on YouTube right now. Oh, wiiiiiife...

On a side note, my current job involves getting paid in cash tips on the regular, and I can't help but think of C.R.E.A.M. whenever I get a handle on a giant wad of one-dollar bills. I even caught my boss humming the song to himself one day when he was passing them out to the employees. We shared a good laugh, though my mind will always link that song with Prince's own Cream tune off the Diamonds and Pearls album, and the two play intertwined in my head whenever I'm reminded of one or the other. A funny thing, the human mind.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » November 28th, 2019, 7:11 pm

Matchstick wrote:...BWAHAHAHA!! AWESOME!! Never in my life did I think I would see someone on these boards spout off some Wu, but come to think of it, I guess I don't really know you guys all that well. Nice to be pleasantly surprised every now and then :D

Not surprising at all, given his posts in the recent Beastie Boys thread.

Return to “Reader Reviews”