Earthbound (SNES) retrospective

The readers post their own reviews.
Zack Burner

Earthbound (SNES) retrospective

Postby Zack Burner » December 19th, 2019, 6:01 pm

Time to go back to the past with another RPG review! Since I was on vacation in a foreign country, this was perfect. I can remember nearly 25 years ago seeing the larger than average box for this at my local supermarket wondering why it was that size and thanks to emulation, I now know why. It’s an RPG chock full of weirdness, goofiness, scariness and much more. It’s easy to write it off as childish but It is actually more mature than it appears. The battles are all input based with psychic abilities in place of magic. You get a.variety of original enemies such as Master Belch (barf), putrid moody man, mondo mole,trillion sage sprout, and more. You’ll want to play through more than once to catch all the jokes and quirks

Stalvern

Re: Earthbound (SNES) retrospective

Postby Stalvern » December 23rd, 2019, 12:50 am

Which country, if I may ask?

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » December 26th, 2019, 11:05 am

Stalvern wrote:Which country, if I may ask?

This game Earthbound was released in the USA, in Japan as Mother 2 (the first was released on NES in 1990), and this never got a release in the UK for some reason.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » December 26th, 2019, 11:28 am

I'm asking where you went on vacation!

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » December 26th, 2019, 1:07 pm

Stalvern wrote:I'm asking where you went on vacation!

Okay, I've been to Ecuador then Costa Rica

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » December 26th, 2019, 4:43 pm

My kids were HUGE fans of Earthbound back in when they were little, and I was lucky enough to score an original SNES cart for less than $100. I think my oldest son played through it at least 5 or 6 times, and I remember thinking that one day I should sit down and give it a play-through myself. That hasn't happened yet, but it's good to see this reminder of the game they got so much enjoyment out of.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » December 26th, 2019, 7:16 pm

C64_Critic wrote:My kids were HUGE fans of Earthbound back in when they were little, and I was lucky enough to score an original SNES cart for less than $100. I think my oldest son played through it at least 5 or 6 times, and I remember thinking that one day I should sit down and give it a play-through myself. That hasn't happened yet, but it's good to see this reminder of the game they got so much enjoyment out of.

Good thing you can find this game on the Virtual Console and the SNES Classic Edition (if you were lucky to find one that is...), I've played through the game 3 times and each time I find something different such as the elusive Sword of Kings for Poo the jokes, and much more. Did you know that the main antagonist Giygas is based off an experience one of the creators had of entering the wrong movie theatre as a child and experiencing what was in his mind a rape?

Return to “Reader Reviews”