Golden Axe III (Japan)

The readers post their own reviews.
Zack Burner

Golden Axe III (Japan)

Postby Zack Burner » December 26th, 2019, 11:16 am

After a near month long hiatus due to vacation in Ecuador and Costa Rica (both were enjoyable), I'm back with a rare review of the third game in the series that didn't get a US release as some people think it's bad, when it's actually quite good. I've been looking for the true best Golden Axe and I think I've found it. You get 4 players, no two of them aren't Ax Battler or Tyris Flare but legacy characters Kain Grinder (favorite) and Sarah Burns (2nd favorite) plus two newcomers half giant Proud Cragger (don't care for this guy) and Panther (3rd favorite but still cool) an anthropomophic panther man. Sarah Burns still uses fire magic, while Kain uses water magic though there's a great special move that's hard to pull off at first but worth it where he flings a flame from his sword at the foe for a good amount of damage (I'll explain later). Speaking of which there's more moves including magics from tag team and some street fighter mechanics as well. You even get some new bizarrians as well to ride including one that's a bipedal snail with a mace tongue (?). You can also split paths as well and which path you take determines one of two endings one where you obtain the axe and peace is prosperous and the other where the peace is short lived. Like the first two games there's also a versus mode, and this one's more fun than the previous entries. Forget my review of Revenge of Death Adder find this one either through rare cartridge or through emulation and have a blast!

Zack Burner

Re: Golden Axe III (Japan)

Postby Zack Burner » January 19th, 2020, 12:43 am

Here are a few special moves for 2 characters:

Kain Grinder - Flame shot - forward,up, back, down forward + jump and attack simultaneously

Sara Burns - Sword Throw - forward, back, forward + jump and attack Simultaneously.

There's more - to get the good ending you need to be on hard mode and you need to go through this route: trail, town, down to caves, onto docks and boat, then to the castle.

I also like the versus mode, and while I generally use Kain or Sara, I like to use Proud Cragger against Sara and I tell you nothing in my mind is more satisfying than getting up close and delivering some gut punches to Sara's bare belly!

Return to “Reader Reviews”