Punch-Out!!! (Arcade)

The readers post their own reviews.
RDReynolds

Re: Punch-Out!!! (Arcade)

Postby RDReynolds » December 29th, 2023, 7:49 am

Zack Burner wrote:Well I've made it to Bald Bull, the controls take some getting used to in fact you have to set your punch height believe it or not, high for rights and lefts, low for body blows and when you reach special keep it up for right hooks, down low for uppercuts. I was able to floor the Bull with one body blow during the Bull Charge attack, I'll keep at it till I get him good.

I have a Punch Out arcade machine at the charity place I help. A LOT of folks play it, and I've never seen anyone get past Kid Quick. I've played pretty much every version of Punch Out I think, and this one is far and away the hardest. I also find it quite a bit less fun than others, especially the Tyson NES version.

There's also an arcade sequel, the original Super Punch Out. I've only played that one a handful of times as it's rather uncommon. My guess is that it is even harder than the first arcade machine as they are designed to take as many quarters as possible...which isn't always providing the most FUN as possible. ;)

mbd36

Re: Punch-Out!!! (Arcade)

Postby mbd36 » December 29th, 2023, 11:16 am

lynchie137 wrote:Honestly, I can't really get into this game. I can appreciate it for what it is, and if it weren't for this game, later games like Mike Tyson's Punch Out and Super Punch Out would not exist. But I also think that both games are way way better, and after many years of playing those two with their tight responsive controls and smooth as butter gameplay, this one feels rather stiff and choppy in comparison. It's not the worst boxing game in the world, though. That dubious honor goes to the NES port of Ring King imho. But with that said, I doubt that i'll be revisiting this one anytime soon....

Same. I could never get into the arcade games. Maybe it's partly due to emulation but the controls always felt stiff and a bit delayed.

It also might depend on what you're used to because I grew up with Mike Tyson's Punch Out and have always been a huge fan of that game. Whereas I've seen people who love the arcade game but dislike MTPO because of how different it is.

Return to “Reader Reviews”