Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare (GBC)

The readers post their own reviews.
Zack Burner

Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare (GBC)

Postby Zack Burner » February 27th, 2020, 6:00 pm

After a brief hiatus, I'm back to review another game (I'm thinks after a few more, I'll retire from this reviewing as I'm running out of things to review and B I can't replace the Critic). If you like creepy, you'll like this portable survival horror, though lacking a bit, it succeeds where Resident Evil Gaiden partially got, and makes a good substitute for the long lost attempt at brining a true Resident Evil game to portable. For one the graphics themselves create a creepy atmosphere and almost feel realistic despite hardware limitations. However, this comes at a bit of price, the colors kind of feel washes out at times, and what feels like an area to you can explore, you can't, it's easy to get stuck so having a guide is needed. You play the role of Edward Carnby the same man from the original Alone in the Dark from way back in 1992 on PC, investigating the murder of his friend Charles Fiske. You'll find his spirit trapped in a mirror and you need to find an amulet to free him. Along the way in this investigation, you'll find obstacles to overcome, puzzles to solve, and some frightening enemies to fight. You only get 3 different weapons: revolver, shotgun, and crossbow, the last one I recommend for the stronger foes. When you encounter foes, the screen switches over to a battle mode where you fight the monsters. This area is a mixed bag as you have to get your angles right and figure out which weapon is best for which foe. Outside of battle there's one area that can kill you if you aren't careful a tentacle monster in the water. Once you beat the game, there;s little incentive to play again and there's not alternative character to play as just like in the original PC game. Play with caution should you play it.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare (GBC)

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 27th, 2020, 8:18 pm

But... did you play alone in the dark??

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » February 27th, 2020, 8:35 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:But... did you play alone in the dark??

Yes I have, the original PC game, not back in the day mind you, but the website I mentioned in the Commander Keen GBC review where you can play any PC game from 1995 and backwards. The Alone in the Dark game is the original version that was ported to the 3DO at one point. I know the graphics of that version haven't aged well at all, but at least there's a charm about it and the gameplay is good, I'll give it that.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 27th, 2020, 8:39 pm

I think you missed my meaning. I was asking if you were sitting by yourself in a dark room when you were playing it.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » February 27th, 2020, 8:56 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I think you missed my meaning. I was asking if you were sitting by yourself in a dark room when you were playing it.

Forgive me, I'm a little learning disabled, I don't always get what people mean. I played this game some time ago via emulation, so no I didn't exactly experience it that way. I'm giving the review based on what I remember of it or use Youtube videos.

Return to “Reader Reviews”