Lethal Enforcers 3 (arcade)

The readers post their own reviews.
Zack Burner

Lethal Enforcers 3 (arcade)

Postby Zack Burner » March 11th, 2020, 6:24 pm

Yes, there is a 3rd game in the series, but it was only released in Japan. Has some things going for it and some against it. One new feature is as you reload you have a shield now, protecting you from any shot even grenades and rockets, similar to that of Crisis Zone. You can also pick up some weapons such as assault rifles, sniper rifles, submachine guns, and shotguns. Shooting an innocent won't take a life point away, but it will demote you. You only get three lives as opposed to five in past games. You also get judged on performance of speed, accuracy, leadership, etc. but who really cares about that? At least the boss fights are interesting including one foe who fights in a power lifter, one who fights in a helicopter, three foes who fight in the dark with pyrotechnics, and the last foe who fights in a tank and later with 2 swords that can block your shots. Overall, good idea but a little mediocre compared to the past installments charm.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Lethal Enforcers 3 (arcade)

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 11th, 2020, 8:33 pm

Zach - how did you play this?

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » March 11th, 2020, 8:51 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Zach - how did you play this?

I didn't, I just found a Youtube video of it, and watched it. It looks impressive (for its time) I'll give it that. Even though the prequels are definitely highly dated, there's still some charm about those.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 11th, 2020, 10:09 pm

So you're reviewing all these games based on YouTube videos? I assumed you had been using emulators or something like that.

What do you think guys? Does it qualify as a review if the reviewer doesn't actually play it?? Hmmmm

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » March 11th, 2020, 10:16 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:So you're reviewing all these games based on YouTube videos? I assumed you had been using emulators or something like that.

What do you think guys? Does it qualify as a review if the reviewer doesn't actually play it?? Hmmmm

Not always, Some games I CAN play, some I cannot, games like this are more advanced and I don't know how these guys fully do since some arcade games can't be run on MAME. I can do some arcade games via an online MAME since I'm using different hardware (Ubuntu) and because of this I can't do MAME normally. There are some I have physically played such as Star Wars Trilogy Arcade, but I don't have all the time in the world to pursue every arcade game, it's too much work, I have a career to establish of my own, I'm just doing these reviews for fun, and besides, does one have all the time and money to actually do it?

Lucifixion

Postby Lucifixion » March 11th, 2020, 11:39 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:So you're reviewing all these games based on YouTube videos? I assumed you had been using emulators or something like that.

For the purpose of full and honest disclosure, I believe it should be noted prior to the ''review'' the means by which judgement about a particular game is reached. In this case I'd argue the validity of referring to this as a review, since it is entirely encompassed within watching someone else experience the game. There are far too many aspects to experiencing a game to be judged solely within the bounds of someone else's Youtube video. The game in question should be experienced on it's original hardware or a fair emulation thereof in order for a review to be valid. To have it otherwise would be to invite all manner of hearsay and potential inaccuracies.

That said, it is interesting to note that there was indeed a third iteration to Lethal Enforcers. This I did not know.

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » March 12th, 2020, 6:51 am

Personally I think one should only review games you've played. I've watched others play games and thought they look fantastic but when I've played the title myself I found the controls overly complex and obtuse. Perhaps you could put the ones you haven't played in the videogames thread and title the subject as "Impressions" or something similar.
The key aspect of videogames is your interaction with them and having some form of agency over what takes place on screen. Reviewing games via watching someone else play misses the point!

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » March 12th, 2020, 8:13 am

There was a *THIRD* Lethal Enforcers???

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » March 12th, 2020, 11:45 am

I don't think there's anything wrong with writing about a game you've watched footage of but haven't played, but you have to disclose that in from the beginning (and also maybe label the review as "Impression" or "First Impressions" like Buttermancan said) to account for the limitations on your point-of-view. I did something similar years ago with Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, but I made it clear from the beginning that I had only watched a playthrough of the game. I'm sure you didn't intent to be deceptive with your reviews but you need to make it clear in the future the extent of your experience with each game - I would never have known any better if the Critic hadn't questioned you.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » March 12th, 2020, 1:29 pm

velcrozombie wrote:I don't think there's anything wrong with writing about a game you've watched footage of but haven't played, but you have to disclose that in from the beginning (and also maybe label the review as "Impression" or "First Impressions" like Buttermancan said) to account for the limitations on your point-of-view. I did something similar years ago with Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, but I made it clear from the beginning that I had only watched a playthrough of the game. I'm sure you didn't intent to be deceptive with your reviews but you need to make it clear in the future the extent of your experience with each game - I would never have known any better if the Critic hadn't questioned you.

Well at least one person on this page has some understanding and compassion. I'll remember that from now on. Here's an example my reviews of Sly 2 and 4 I've played, but 3rd I watched a playthrough since I have the Sly Collection on Vita and to get the 3rd you need a special code to obtain (so if your planning on getting it on that system keep that in mind). Some of the arcade games I HAVE actually played, even offered a link to play it online in some of them (Spider-man the Video Game and Cadillacs and Dinosaurs), but some games like this one, I had to watch a playthrough since it caught my eye and I didn't know how they ran it well since it probably required a more advanced MAME or something else. I have played more recent arcade games like Star Wars Arcade, Carnevil, Mazan Flash of the Blade, that I did.

Return to “Reader Reviews”