Marvel Super Heroes: War of the Gems (SNES)

The readers post their own reviews.
Zack Burner

Marvel Super Heroes: War of the Gems (SNES)

Postby Zack Burner » March 31st, 2020, 7:06 pm

(this review is based off actual play)

In a time like what we are facing we could do with heroes in our lives, and what a better group than the Marvel Super Heroes! This game lets you play as 5 different heroes: Captain America, Iron Man, Spider-man, Wolverine, and The Incredible Hulk. Each hero as his own strengths and weaknesses such as Spider-man is fast but weak, Wolverine is an all-arounder, and Hulk is slow but powerful. It's platforming action with some street-fighter style special moves (this game was made by Capcom who also did X-men Mutant Apocalypse). The gameplay is addicting yet challenging, plus huge replayability. The graphics are terrific and the sound is equally great. If you're a fan of Marvel Comics, you should definitely check this one out!

Stalvern

Re: Marvel Super Heroes: War of the Gems (SNES)

Postby Stalvern » April 1st, 2020, 1:23 pm

Zack Burner wrote:(this review is based off actual play)

I'm not sure why you think you need to add these disclaimers. Why would anyone assume otherwise? It's like a package of ham labeled "100% edible"; it's more suspicious for raising the question at all.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » April 1st, 2020, 6:13 pm

Stalvern wrote:
Zack Burner wrote:(this review is based off actual play)

I'm not sure why you think you need to add these disclaimers. Why would anyone assume otherwise? It's like a package of ham labeled "100% edible"; it's more suspicious for raising the question at all.

The reason I put these disclaimers is so that people know that I'm being honest in my reviews, it all started after the Lethal Enforcers 3 review I did, after all, who wants a dishonest critic? Nobody! That would be like a doctor giving a diagnosis without actually seeing the patient.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » April 1st, 2020, 11:13 pm

Zack Burner wrote:The reason I put these disclaimers is so that people know that I'm being honest in my reviews, it all started after the Lethal Enforcers 3 review I did, after all, who wants a dishonest critic? Nobody! That would be like a doctor giving a diagnosis without actually seeing the patient.

That thread is... hm. I think people wanted you to have admitted that you were "reviewing" games based on videos – given that you were posting about them in the first place, which wasn't especially justified – not for you to explain in every review since that you actually played the game involved. The assumption that a critic has engaged with what they're criticizing is so fundamental to criticism itself that it's redundant to state and should not warrant mention, even though you have betrayed that trust in the past. ("Should not warrant mention" means both that legitimate reviews shouldn't need to mention it and that "reviews" that would raise doubt shouldn't exist.)

The real issue is that you shouldn't have posted those bogus reviews to begin with. YouTube comments masquerading as game reviews have no use to anyone and are blatantly deceptive, and I don't understand why the idea even occurred to you; there's neither a shortage of games that you have played nor some quota of reviews that you need to meet. You ventured a very strange question in that thread:

I don't have all the time in the world to pursue every arcade game, it's too much work, I have a career to establish of my own, I'm just doing these reviews for fun, and besides, does one have all the time and money to actually do it?

Nobody asked you to review every single game, regardless of whether or not you could even play, so this rhetoric is nonsense. The whole project comes off as a crass exercise in self-promotion, in spite of being on a forum small enough to defeat the concept.

Return to “Reader Reviews”