Pro Wrestling (NES)

The readers post their own reviews.
Zack Burner

Pro Wrestling (NES)

Postby Zack Burner » June 24th, 2020, 7:34 am

Time to finish the wrestling on the NES with this classic game. Moving away from WWE material, Nintendo opted for their own wrestlers in 1987, with a roster of 6 plus a boss character at the end should you make it there. There's Fighter Hayabusa (my 2nd favorite based off Antonio Inoki), Giant Panther (1st favorite based off Hulk Hogan), Star Man, King Corn Karn, The Amazon (3rd favorite), and King Slender (based off Ric Flair). All these wrestlers have different moves, and some same such as punch, jump kick, scoop slam, clothesline, drop kick, and depending on who you choose, some varieties of extra power slams such as back drop, brain buster, and piledriver. Giant Panther's special moves are a headbutt and an Iron Claw, Hayabusa has a Back Brain Kick, The Amazon has a chokehold (looks more like a noogie) and bites his opponent (if you look closely, you'll see some blood which is unusual for a Nintendo game), Star Man has a somersault kick and a flying chop, King Corn Karn has a Karate Kick and Mongolian Chop, and King Slender has a Backbreaker. You don't have a health meter, you're going to have to use your own judgement to figure out when the right time to pin your opponent. In 1 player you fight your way up to King Slender unless you're playing as him and then it's a title defense run until you face the final opponent The Puma who's a tough customer with many of the other wrestlers moves. If you're playing 2 player you have a best of 3 falls match. The graphics are pretty simplistic but do the job, the music memorable, right up there with Punch-Out!! Once you beat it, you'll want to hold off playing it again unless you're good with other wrestlers. Overall, as the signature line says, "A winner is you!"

lynchie137

Re: Pro Wrestling (NES)

Postby lynchie137 » June 24th, 2020, 2:36 pm

For such an early NES title, I can't believe how much depth this game has. Yes, every character can do the same basic moves like slams, suplexes, drop kicks and splashes off the ropes, to name a few. But every character also has their own finishing move unique to them. And in some cases, more than one. This is a bonafide classic game that still holds up today, and still one of the best wrestling games made in the 8 and 16 bit era.

On a personal note, my favorite character is The Amazon. Not because he has the best moves or anything like that. But because he's a total heel. I love how he bites his opponents on the forehead, then looks at the referee as if to say, "I didn't do it". Cracks me up every time I see it because that is just classic old school heel behavior right there and it shows that the game designers just had to have been wrestling fans to include small details like that.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » June 24th, 2020, 2:44 pm

lynchie137 wrote:For such an early NES title, I can't believe how much depth this game has. Yes, every character can do the same basic moves like slams, suplexes, drop kicks and splashes off the ropes, to name a few. But every character also has their own finishing move unique to them. And in some cases, more than one. This is a bonafide classic game that still holds up today, and still one of the best wrestling games made in the 8 and 16 bit era.

On a personal note, my favorite character is The Amazon. Not because he has the best moves or anything like that. But because he's a total heel. I love how he bites his opponents on the forehead, then looks at the referee as if to say, "I didn't do it". Cracks me up every time I see it because that is just classic old school heel behavior right there and it shows that the game designers just had to have been wrestling fans to include small details like that.

The heelness is why I liked The Amazon. The Giant Panther's signature moves were basic but powerful, Iron Claw and Headbutt, though I prefer finishing the opponent as him with a brainbuster as that feels more awesome than just smashing your head or squeezing their faces. As for Hayabusa, that Back Brain Kick was powerful but risky as you had to time it just right (make sure you're below your opponent and your head is at his waist level and then let em have it!).

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » June 24th, 2020, 3:48 pm

I could never get the timing of that Back Brain Kick down no matter how much I tried. Which is why I never used Fighter Hayabusa all that much, I guess. :D

RDReynolds

Postby RDReynolds » June 24th, 2020, 6:51 pm

What I'd love to know is why this game has been essentially blackballed by Nintendo:

- Never any sequels or reboots despite massive love for it
- Characters never appear anywhere, especially something like Smash Bros which is a natural fit
- No official merchandise ever I believe for it

Anyone know the story here?

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » June 25th, 2020, 1:54 pm

Thanks for doing these NES wrestling reviews lately. I picked up Pro Wrestling a few years ago based on another Reader Review in the forum here (from back when Rockofhysteria was doing a bunch of them). And I was very impressed with it. Like you guys have all said, very deep fighting system for the NES and just an impressive and polished package all around. I agree with lynchie that it still holds up today, especially since I didn't first play it until 2018 and still had fun with it.

When I was growing up, WWF Wrestlemania was all I had on the NES. Playing it was an exercise in frustration, but I stuck with it because I was a wrestling fan as a young kid and it was nice having the real roster. Pro Wrestling was a game I never even heard of as a kid, and it was one I totally overlooked once I started collecting NES games. (And let's be honest, it's hard not to overlook it with its simplistic generic artwork and name... it looks like a crappy game before you play it.) But once I tried it, it's much better than the WWF games.

noah98

Postby noah98 » June 26th, 2020, 8:13 am

RDReynolds wrote:What I'd love to know is why this game has been essentially blackballed by Nintendo:

- Characters never appear anywhere, especially something like Smash Bros which is a natural fit

Time for a Pro Wrestling character in Smash Brothers, for sure!

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » June 26th, 2020, 1:11 pm

noah98 wrote:
RDReynolds wrote:What I'd love to know is why this game has been essentially blackballed by Nintendo:

Now that sounds like a good idea! Wonder who they'd put in? Hmmmm.......Most likely Starman considering he's the most popular, perhaps Giant Panther another favorite and maybe even The Amazon. I seriously doubt the other three and the Puma....

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » June 26th, 2020, 3:54 pm

noah98 wrote:

Definitely a nice idea for sure. But I think an even better idea would be a modern day remake of it on the Switch. Just have the same characters with updated move sets and better graphics and sound..

RDReynolds

Postby RDReynolds » June 26th, 2020, 9:47 pm

Everytime my son tells me there's new Smash DLC he always follows up with, "Starman isn't in there - stop asking!"

Return to “Reader Reviews”