Golden Axe trilogy (Retrospective)

The readers post their own reviews.
MSR1701

Re: Golden Axe trilogy (Retrospective)

Postby MSR1701 » July 8th, 2020, 10:41 am

Zack Burner wrote:I feel disgusted looking at that article. I guess the nostalgia of the other games clouded their judgement. I'm not amused.

It's mid-90s EGM; some of the time they were dead-on for their enthusiasm (Dracula X for the PC Engine is an interesting article - see issue #55), and then there were their reviews, which never matched their score to what was being written, and Sushi-X always gripped about why Nintendo didn't release a color Game Boy...

strat

Postby strat » July 8th, 2020, 8:04 pm

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/gimmick/

The EGM review of (Mr.) Gimmick! (pic near bottom) has my jaw dropping. If these guys are calling the game easy they could've only beaten it during an acid trip.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » July 8th, 2020, 8:42 pm

MSR1701 wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:Was Golden Axe III a Japanese only release? I don't recall that one.

Yes it was, and I was always amused how EGM and other game mags of the day used to warn DO NOT BUY, NOT WORTH IT every time they mentioned it...

These backgrounds and magic effects would look bad in a Master System game.

Who cares that you can now choose your path, when there's nothing to see, and no imagination or ambition to be found, anywhere?

The new combat engine loses any individuality the series had. Only some of the character sprites improve on what came before.

It's Golden Axe in name only.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » July 10th, 2020, 9:36 am

Well PixelatedGenocide, to each their own, you can say what you like about it, but let's just wait until the Critic gets his hands on this game, and we'll see what he says about it. You might be surprised. I will admit there are a few weaknesses, but that don't matter to me, I love it for what it is.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » July 10th, 2020, 9:44 am

Zack Burner wrote:Well PixelatedGenocide, to each their own, you can say what you like about it, but let's just wait until the Critic gets his hands on this game, and we'll see what he says about it. You might be surprised. I will admit there are a few weaknesses, but that don't matter to me, I love it for what it is.

We all have a game that we love that may not be loved by our friends and gaming culture at large. I enjoy Lion King Game Boy (more for nostalgia), and we saw the Critic's review.

Other games I enjoy that usually don't have a high opinion by others:

Mega Man II Game Boy (horrible music, but mindless fun)
Jim Power and the 3rd Dimension (love that music!)
Star Trek Academy Simulator (SNES/32X)
D/Generation (Amiga CD32/DOS/Switch)
Equinox (SNES)

VicViper

Postby VicViper » July 10th, 2020, 1:31 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Was Golden Axe III a Japanese only release? I don't recall that one.

I was about to say that it had a PAL physical release, but I had either Mega Man: The Wily Wars or Alien Soldier in mind. Does seem that it only had a Japanese cartridge, the American version was a downloadable from the Sega Channel.

However, you can definitely play Golden Axe III in most Genesis collections, I do know you have Sonic & Genesis Ultimate Collection on 360/PS3, and that one has Golden Axe III in there. The more recent collection has it too.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » July 10th, 2020, 5:48 pm

I actually didn't know about Golden Axe III being japanese only. I play in on my Genesis Collection on the 360. It's no streets of rage but it isn't a bad game.

As for the whole 'difference of opinion' deal, I think that both Guardian Heroes and Godhand are games that I personally rate much, much higher than the Critic does, but to each their own. Some things just jive with some people more than others.

Golden Axe 1+2 I do feel have aged a bit, but they still aren't bad games by any means. I can't beat either 1 or 2 by myself. With a friend it isn't too bad.

strat

Postby strat » July 10th, 2020, 8:12 pm

At least it wasn't made by people who clearly never played a MM game before (looking at the DOS MM games) but a lot about it feels off. Actually, my biggest pet peeve is the "rhythm" of shooting enemies, their invincibility frames and the weak sound of them taking damage.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » July 10th, 2020, 8:16 pm

strat wrote:

At least it wasn't made by people who clearly never played a MM game before (looking at the DOS MM games) but a lot about it feels off. Actually, my biggest pet peeve is the "rhythm" of shooting enemies, their invincibility frames and the weak sound of them taking damage.

Oh, in terms of a Mega Man game it is definitely subpar with issues. Still, a guilty pleasure for me, and one I can easily beat in 30 minutes, 40 with messing around with the weapons.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » July 10th, 2020, 9:36 pm

Zack Burner wrote:Well PixelatedGenocide, to each their own, you can say what you like about it, but let's just wait until the Critic gets his hands on this game, and we'll see what he says about it. You might be surprised. I will admit there are a few weaknesses, but that don't matter to me, I love it for what it is.

More power to you. I'm happy it found an audience for what it offers. But I'm not convinced it needed to sacrifice everything else to achieve it. And apparently, neither was EGM.

As for the critic, the only guarantee is that he'll be honest about his experience. We have our differences (Majora's Mask), but I keep coming back because his reviews have earned my trust, even more than some critics who share my tastes.

Sometimes, he'll even change my mind. (Night Trap's cheese is slowly winning me over.)

With that said, I really can't believe he hasn't reviewed Golden Axe 3 yet. I had to double check, to make sure.

Return to “Reader Reviews”