Super Metroid (Retrospective)

The readers post their own reviews.
Zack Burner

Super Metroid (Retrospective)

Postby Zack Burner » August 11th, 2020, 11:27 am

After watching the creepy movie Alien (1979), I've decided to review the great game Super Metroid and see how well it holds up. Without a doubt the answer is yes, all the way in every way! The graphics have a cinematic almost anime-style and move fluidly even in the cutscenes. The controls are dead on tight, and the biggest kicker is the atmosphere. This game really gives you the feeling of actual dread that few games can, until Alien Isolation. For example the boss battles of Ridley and Kraid give the feeling that you're cut off with no escape, trapped until you defeat the abominations. When in Norfair, the graphics make you feel like your in heat the instant you start noticing your health whittles away. Another factor is it pushes you to be resourceful of your surroundings using enemies as a platform or stairs, using the electrograpple as a weapon at one boss fight, etc. Another big kicker is the scripting of events. When you first approach Mother Brain, at first you think "This'll be a piece of cake, we fought this in the first Metroid", until she forms the robotic body, opens her eyes, and the music builds up in intensity, you know you're in for a frightful fight. Late in the battle, after getting pulverized badly by her psychic beam, all hope seems lost as you can't move and you're down on health until.......If I say any more it would ruin the fun of the experience, but I will say this the ending is trade one for one, and that's one of the many things that makes it hold up. This game is timeless.

Return to “Reader Reviews”