WWF In Your House (PS1)

The readers post their own reviews.
Zack Burner

WWF In Your House (PS1)

Postby Zack Burner » August 12th, 2020, 8:21 am

Time now for a unique wrestling game, not too many people know about today: In Your House. Before this game there was Wrestlemania (an Arcade game), a good idea, but needed some fleshing out. Here you get 10 wrestlers: Ultimate Warrior, Vader, Bret Hart, Owen Hart, Undertaker, Hunter Hearst Helmsley, British Bulldog, Shawn Michaels, Goldust, and Ahmed Johnson. This game plays both wrestling and Mortal Kombat style mechanics, meaning you not only do wrestling moves, but some wacky attacks including some projectiles for some. Ultimate Warrior can shoot electricity like Raiden, Bret Hart shoots what look like eye lasers, Undertaker hurls demons, and Goldust blows a smooch. You also get finishing moves called Super Pins which can range from Vader getting his derrière enlarged and squashes the opponent, Ultimate Warrior unleashes some lightning which causes the opponent to break apart (non gory), Undertaker sends his opponent to the grave, Hunter Hearst Helmsley sucking his opponent into a bottle of perfume, and Shawn Michaels causing a Hotel sign to crush the opponent. The arenas add some interest depending on the opponent, such as British Bulldog fighting at Buckingham Palace, Bret Hart's arena in some rustic cabin, Warrior out in the desert, Undertaker gets a medieval dungeon with some creepy things including one guy hanging on a noose. You'll hear Vince McMahon's commentary but occasionally you'll hear the respective wrestler's voices as well. "I'm here to take a bite out of the WWF!" "Feel the power of the Ultimate Warrior!" "I'm the best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be!". When you complete it you only get a brief video of your respective wrestler and no story. Fun but not the greatest.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Re: WWF In Your House (PS1)

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » August 16th, 2020, 3:41 am

Sometimes, less is more. I'd trade all of those tacky custom stages for a single real wrestling ring.

It doesn't help that the quality of digitization took a hit. Less animation frames, worse lighting...it's just a budget game, that cost too much. Don't get me wrong - it's not a bad game. My brother, an Ultimate Warrior mark, loved it. And it was fun, compared to most WWF wrestling games back then.

But that's all it ever was. It was a completely forgettable experience, otherwise.

It doesn't know what it wants to be. Somehow, it's more realistic than the games of the past, and far less realistic, at the exact same time.

It feels like an example of why the WWF itself was struggling. Torn between the bland New Generation, which kept sabotaging it's own strengths to try to bring back the 80's...

And the first tastes of the Attitude era, which seemed desperate to shock throughout, until they found stories worth telling.

Return to “Reader Reviews”