Splatterhouse 2 (Retrospective)

The readers post their own reviews.
Zack Burner

Splatterhouse 2 (Retrospective)

Postby Zack Burner » August 25th, 2020, 8:05 am

Disclaimer: If you haven't known or even played the first Splatterhouse on either MAME or TG-16 don't read this review as there will be some spoilers in this review.

4 years after the arcade release and 2 years after the TG-16 release, this game followed up. It basically follows the same gameplay as the first one, straightforward 2D beat-em-up, though the storyline is a little different as Rick (the character you're controlling) is being baited by the infernal pleas of the Terror Mask to rescue Jennifer (the one you fought in the first game was an imposter) as she is being held captive in the dark netherworld. To get there you have to trek through another house, or is it a different house? The manual has several plot holes, not that is matters. You start in what looks like the ruins of the West Mansion and you trek to the Mueller mansion. The gore effects I think are better in this version as the graphics are more details plus several eye candy moments such as in the third boss fight where blood trickles down the screen briefly. The bestiary is more interesting if not as disturbing as the first game. The zombies look great, and there's some original enemies such as blood puppets, an octopus like foe, a bug-headed boss, a serpent made of human heads, and finally the ultimate evil which is composed of heads. You also get a nice set of weapons such as pipe, bone, chainsaw, shears, an oar, some potassium flasks, shotgun, even a zombie's head! My favorite boss fights are the blood puppets as if you do things right you acquire a chainsaw for the fight, and the zombie scientist part where you have a choice of either punching him out or if your skilled and daring use a flask and set him ablaze! You do get a difficulty meter, which alters the amount of health you have, but I don't recommend it unless you're up for the challenge. The final boss fight is virtually impossible to defeat without an emulator, unless you're really good at memorizing. Overall of the Splatterhouse games this one is my favorite.

Return to “Reader Reviews”