Austin Powers, Oh Behave and Welcome to my Underground Lair (GBC)

The readers post their own reviews.
Zack Burner

Austin Powers, Oh Behave and Welcome to my Underground Lair (GBC)

Postby Zack Burner » September 22nd, 2020, 8:06 am

It's no secret I'm a fan of the Austin Powers movies, even today, they're so much fun to watch and laugh at. The games however, don't deliver such thrills, though they do provide brief laughs. In this double review, we have two games, one from Austin's perspective and the other from Dr. Evil's perspective. The first one functions in a semi-parody of Windows computers with start up which takes a while. Then it asks you a few questions of perference including which of these three ladies you like: Felicity Shagwell, Ivana Humpalot, and Alotta Fagina. After you get through a few minutes of that with some brief laughs, you then get to choose what you want to do next, it's basically just a set of mini-games such as Rock-Paper-Scissors, Domination - an Othello style game, Mojo Maze, which runs in Pac-man style, and the "highlight" a platformer where you play as Austin, collecting items and shooting at foes including Fat Bastard and Random Task. The mechanics are a little stiff here.

The second game is Welcome to my Underground Lair, which plays just the same as Oh Behave except it's from Dr. Evil's perspective, the first three are just the same as Oh Behave, the highlight here is Kin-Evil where you play as Dr. Evil and Mini-Me riding a motorcycle where you have to perform stunts.

Are these games worth your time? Unless you're a diehard Austin Powers fan, perhaps, but everyone else, no. To quote Dr. Evil, "It's not evil enough.......you're semi-evil! You're quasi-evil! You're the margarine of evil, you're the diet coke of Evil!"

Buttermancan

Re: Austin Powers, Oh Behave and Welcome to my Underground Lair (GBC)

Postby Buttermancan » September 23rd, 2020, 5:51 am

I enjoy a dose of Austin Powers from time to time. It's easy watching Bond with gags and doesn't take itself seriously.
It's a shame that they didn't do something more with the charcters for this game. Imagine playing as fat bastard in a simple reverse version of pacman where you're chasing after all the food or something. Mini games featured on all the characters showcasing their personalities etc.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 23rd, 2020, 6:07 pm

Never heard of this but it sounds like it's worth picking up for novelty value alone!

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » May 26th, 2021, 1:07 pm

Oh behave.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » May 26th, 2021, 10:26 pm

It's like all the excitement of early 90's multimedia discs, squeezed into a tiny 8-bit cart.

It's such a bad idea, that I can't help but love them for trying. I wish this was an entire genre, and we'd archived an entire 8-bit internet's worth of pixelated fan pages, sub-GIF quality animations, and questionable sprite swap minigames.

Return to “Reader Reviews”