Bugs Bunny's Birthday Blowout (NES)

The readers post their own reviews.
Zack Burner

Bugs Bunny's Birthday Blowout (NES)

Postby Zack Burner » October 14th, 2020, 12:28 pm

Eh, what's up doc? Bugs Bunny had another NES game, a fun little platformer that can be quite challenging if you have the patience. Unlike Mario, Bugs can only attack enemies with a mallet. You can collect carrots to play some bonus rounds which range from getting some numbers on a grid and how many you have to connect to the center star gives you life up depending on how many numbers connect to the star, or a whack a mole style game. Bugs amusingly runs like Road Runner, the hit detection is a little sloppy but it can be a blessing even if it doesn't make contact. There are a lot of hazards and enemies such as walking mallets, frogs, alarm clocks, rocks, and much more. You'll also square off against classic Looney Tunes characters such as Daffy Duck, Tweety (!?), Elmer Fudd, Yosemite Sam, Sylvester, Wile E. Coyoye, Pepe Le Pew, and Taz. The graphics are quite good, especially the still shots of Bugs himself and the two cutscenes. You can't skip the first cutscene though, which can be annoying, plus there's no password feature. Fun but quite challenging.

Stalvern

Re: Bugs Bunny's Birthday Blowout (NES)

Postby Stalvern » October 14th, 2020, 10:39 pm

How about Bugs Bunny's birthday BEATING?

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » October 15th, 2020, 7:03 am

Stalvern wrote:How about Bugs Bunny's birthday BEATING?

Yeah, I'm sure if the critic reviewed this game he'd give it the Arthur award for difficulty and the ending, which I won't reveal here, takes the player completely by surprise. But hey, it's Looney Tunes, what do you expect?

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » October 15th, 2020, 2:12 pm

Was always surprised by AVGNs review of this - and it was an early episode too, so it's not like he was getting thin on bad games. I don't remembering it being an absolute classic but I used to play it a lot with my cousin on Game Boy and I always found it at the very least functional as a puzzle game.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » October 15th, 2020, 3:17 pm

TheEagleXIII wrote:Was always surprised by AVGNs review of this - and it was an early episode too, so it's not like he was getting thin on bad games. I don't remembering it being an absolute classic but I used to play it a lot with my cousin on Game Boy and I always found it at the very least functional as a puzzle game.

I think you're referring to the other NES Bugs Bunny game: Crazy Castle.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » October 15th, 2020, 3:39 pm

Zack Burner wrote:I think you're referring to the other NES Bugs Bunny game: Crazy Castle.

I haven't played Birthday Blowout in years and can't really remember it. But since you mentioned it, I actually played Crazy Castle just a few nights ago. I remember that one much more vividly. I have a vivid memory of playing Crazy Castle at a family members house as a little kid. I was maybe around 5 years old. I remember loving it, because it was of the first games that felt easy for me - games like Super Mario Bros were way too hard at that age, but here I was playing Crazy Castle and cruising through the levels.

I never played it again until just last week. I can't say it's all that good (the VGC gave it an F and that's a fair score), but it was good to finally play it again.

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » October 16th, 2020, 1:55 am

Zack Burner wrote:I think you're referring to the other NES Bugs Bunny game: Crazy Castle.

Aha, you're right, my bad! :)

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 17th, 2020, 9:39 am

Yeah I was thinking it was Crazy Castle too, and couldn't believe it when he said it was fun.

Maybe I should check out Birthday Blowout. I am a big fan of Bugs Bunny.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » October 17th, 2020, 11:49 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Yeah I was thinking it was Crazy Castle too, and couldn't believe it when he said it was fun.

Maybe I should check out Birthday Blowout. I am a big fan of Bugs Bunny.

Poor Bugs Bunny didn't translate so well on other systems save for a few good ones such as Crazy Castle 2 on GB and one on Atari2600. Perhaps Birthday Blowout will score much better than those bunch, although I've got a very strong hunch what award this one's going to get: The Arthur award!

Return to “Reader Reviews”