Resident Evil (GBC unreleased)

The readers post their own reviews.
Zack Burner

Resident Evil (GBC unreleased)

Postby Zack Burner » October 22nd, 2020, 7:22 am

Yes, believe it or not there was going to be a port of the original game on the GBC, but did it deliver or was it doomed to not be released? Having played some of it, plus watched some videos, I can honestly say you're going to be disappointed. For one, I commend the effort in actually producing the graphical environments including the fixed camera angles and attempts at bringing the rooms to life. The characters on the other hand look blocky, but that's to be expected. The gameplay kind of hurts, it feels sluggish on this port compared to others, takes a slow time to turn. Defeated zombies don't fall over, they just kneel, and even worse, you don't get any boss fights which is disappointing as those were memorable moments. You get the same musical track over and over again. Overall, not recommended even if you're curious.

pacman000

Re: Resident Evil (GBC unreleased)

Postby pacman000 » November 12th, 2020, 8:43 am

How far along was this when it was canceled? If it was still in the early stages of development, I'm not sure we can really judge it.

Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRCd2VVmLXw

I like the multiple camera-angles, but I think Dragon's Lair GBC looks better.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » November 11th, 2021, 9:02 am

pacman000 wrote:How far along was this when it was canceled? If it was still in the early stages of development, I'm not sure we can really judge it.

Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRCd2VVmLXw

I like the multiple camera-angles, but I think Dragon's Lair GBC looks better.

It was fairly far along, though I always thought that the original project was something that I might have bought (which is odd, since I didn't care for the PSX RE games due to the controls). Yes, the GBC was not something for jump scares or horror in the same sense that the 32-Bit systems were, but dang, this was a very ambitious project.

The existence of Alone in the Dark GBC shows that the prototype RE game might have found a market, and might have been noted alongside Dragon's Lair GBC as a technical achievement (the GBC was supposedly a portable NES in the way the games were viewed at the time, and games like Dragon's Lair and RE should not have been possible).

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 11th, 2021, 10:05 am

A helpful reader actually provided me a copy of this prototype, and I can attest it is remarkable. Despite its low-resolution graphics, this is a very good port of the original Resident Evil game for the PS1. Highly playable.

I meant to review it before Halloween but got bogged down with other Halloween games. I do expect to post a review at some point.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » December 9th, 2021, 11:30 am

Would love to hear your thoughts on this!

m0zart

Postby m0zart » December 9th, 2021, 2:27 pm

Wow! I am actually amazed by what's on that video! That is crazy impressive for that system's resources!

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » October 23rd, 2022, 2:56 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I meant to review it before Halloween but got bogged down with other Halloween games. I do expect to post a review at some point.

Here's hoping we see this before the end of the current Halloween season! If not... we'll wait 'til next year...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 29th, 2022, 5:52 pm

I'm on it

Return to “Reader Reviews”