Alone in the Dark (Retrospective)

The readers post their own reviews.
Zack Burner

Alone in the Dark (Retrospective)

Postby Zack Burner » October 25th, 2020, 10:12 am

Before there was Resident Evil there was Alone in the Dark released by Infogrames in 1992 for a variety of platforms including PC and 3DO. How does this game hold up today? Well for one thing the polygonal graphics are way past outdated for the character models, though the creepy sound effects and atmosphere based on the works of H.P. Lovecraft including a few monsters are quite nice. The gameplay control is pretty good today which is easy to use including opening, fighting with fists and feet (sometimes weapons) and non-linear gameplay paths. It does get harder near the end where you have to avoid giant worms and jump over platforms until you reach the final foe which I won't reveal here but it will take you by surprise. Some versions you get voice acting and some you won't. I've been playing the PC version thanks to the website Classic Reload which can let the viewer play old DOS games. I have yet to get past the ghoul pirate foe as he quickly blocks your sword attacks (make sure you have the real sword from the knight and not the cavalry sabre as that breaks upon use and besides that's more of a key item than a weapon). There are some foes you can't destroy such as the bathtub jellyfish and the giant worms. In one room there's a ghost sitting in the chair, try your best not to disturb it or you'll be having nightmares for sure. Overall, a good game if a little dated.

Update: I've managed to finally beat the Pirate Ghoul, the trick is to do side slashes not overhead as he will block those.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Alone in the Dark (Retrospective)

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 25th, 2020, 5:53 pm

I started re-reviewing Alone in the Dark for the 3DO today, and it's taking me a while to grasp the controls. To shoot a gun you hold the A button and press UP?? What's wrong with just pressing the A button?

The atmosphere is seriously lacking with all the bright rooms and neat furniture. It helps to have an FAQ handy to avoid some of the instant death traps.

I like the cinematic style but I don't think this has aged well. The gameplay is so slow and the controls awkward.

BlasteroidAli

Re: Alone in the Dark (Retrospective)

Postby BlasteroidAli » May 3rd, 2023, 1:26 pm

The good news is there is a new Alone in the Dark game on the cards. I know you will all be thrilled when it comes out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0WPDDn6DpY

I never played the original game and after this review I am not sure I am going to try it.

Return to “Reader Reviews”