WWF Royal Rumble (SNES and Genesis)

The readers post their own reviews.
Zack Burner

WWF Royal Rumble (SNES and Genesis)

Postby Zack Burner » November 20th, 2020, 11:38 am

Time for a two system review of the same game! Released in 1993 you get a roster of 12 wrestlers 7 of which are the same: Macho Man, Bret Hart, The Narcissist, Razor Ramon, Shawn Michaels, Crush, and Undertaker. In the SNES version, one gets the following: Yokozuna, Ted DiBiase, Ric Flair, Tatanka, and Mr. Perfect. In the Genesis version, one gets Hulk Hogan, IRS, Jim Duggan, The Model Rick Martel, and Papa Shango. As for the gameplay, the wrestling system is a tug-o-war system where once in a lockup one has to press the button they want repeatedly until they are the victor or loser and then the victor gives the move such as atomic drop, scoop slam, suplex, irish whip, and backbreaker to name a few. You can also use kicks, punches and dash attacks as well, plus if you're outside you can either rake the eyes, choke, or use a chair. Once your opponent is low on health, you can execute your wrestler's finisher depending on circumstance. There are several modes of play: tournament, one fall, brawl, and royal rumble. Tournament has you fighting all the opponents to claim the title and have your face on the magazine (ho-hum). One fall is exhibition mode with rules such as no choking, eye raking, or chair unless outside. Brawl is anything goes including chokes and eye rakes and the victor is the one who completely depletes all his opponent's energy. Finally Royal Rumble is a fight to see who still stands in the ring without getting thrown out. Fun game for sure, but sure to wear out the controllers!

Buttermancan

Re: WWF Royal Rumble (SNES and Genesis)

Postby Buttermancan » November 21st, 2020, 4:38 am

I had this back in the day. I was excited to get and it mostly lived up to my expectations. Firing it up when friends came over was a laugh. We used to play a game where the winner would be the person that landed the most drop kicks in a bout :D

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » December 4th, 2020, 8:00 pm

It's an okay game for sure. And probably the best WWF themed game released to home consoles at that point in time. But one thing that kinda bugs me about this one ( besides that grapple meter) is that you can't win matches by submission. Therefore making playing as Bret Hart or Rick Martel nearly pointless. Sure, you can use their finishers on your opponents and then pin them afterwards. But that just seems so weird and so wrong for me to do so

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » December 4th, 2020, 9:35 pm

lynchie137 wrote:It's an okay game for sure. And probably the best WWF themed game released to home consoles at that point in time. But one thing that kinda bugs me about this one ( besides that grapple meter) is that you can't win matches by submission. Therefore making playing as Bret Hart or Rick Martel nearly pointless. Sure, you can use their finishers on your opponents and then pin them afterwards. But that just seems so weird and so wrong for me to do so

At least they corrected that problem in the next game, WWF RAW, which had both Bret and Owen Hart

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » December 4th, 2020, 10:31 pm

One of my favorite chip-tune albums, from back in the day.

As a game? It was more fun to immediately eliminate myself from the Rumble, then see how close the AI could get to simulating a real PPV quality match.

After playing Tecmo Wrestling on 8-bit and WWF Superstars/WWF Wrestlefest in the arcades, LJN's games just couldn't compete.

Return to “Reader Reviews”