Super Return of the Jedi (retrospective)

The readers post their own reviews.
Zack Burner

Super Return of the Jedi (retrospective)

Postby Zack Burner » January 2nd, 2021, 8:44 am

I conclude the retrospective trilogy with the last installment, and it sure went out with a bang! Well maybe I'm being a little opinionated, but Return of the Jedi is my favorite Star Wars movie. The majority of the mistakes from previous games have been fixed, more characters are playable, the graphics hold up today, the music is epic and orchestral, and though there is still a challenge, it's easier to grasp. The roster of playable characters has now been expanded to 5, you get to play as Luke, Han, Chewie, Leia (in three different costumes!), and Wicket. I know some people have a thing or two against the Ewoks, but Wicket is fun to play if a little too cutsey and saccharine. The special abilities of the trio are carried over, Leia in her first two costumes (Bousch bounty hunter disguise, and the famous Gold Metal Bikini) comes with a charge attack by holding the attack button and when she blinks release for a devastating attack, though this is dropped in her rebel trooper outfit, and Wicket's arrows aren't just for shooting but creating platforms, and do a great amount of damage too. The great double jump ability is carrried over for all characters as well. The graphics are now excellent with mode 7 being used to it's finest though some will be frustrated with the first stage which is skimming the surface of Tatooine, though it gets better from here on. Now you have a password for every level instead of just for every few stages like the predecessor. The music is terrific, though the boss theme lacks the epicness the predecessor had. If there's one negative it's the frustrating Millennium Falcon final 2 stages, the first is relatively easy, it's the escape part that kills me every time, I have yet to complete it without an emulator. I'm even going to say the ending for this game is marginally better than the others but still short and sweet. All in all this is the ideal Star Wars game for the SNES.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Super Return of the Jedi (retrospective)

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 2nd, 2021, 10:40 am

Yeah you could tell lessons were learned from the previous two Super Star Wars games. The first was fantastic, but the lack of a password was glaring. Empire was a beautiful game, but the difficulty was arduous at times. I hated how in the snow ice-cycles would sprout right under your feet!

Return of the Jedi feels almost effortless compared to the first two. Then again, maybe that's why I spent a lot less time with it. I tend to race through it a little too fast.

I think I'd like to revisit all three of these games in 2021.

Return to “Reader Reviews”