Commodore 64 John Madden Football

The readers post their own reviews.
GeoX

Re: Commodore 64 John Madden Football

Postby GeoX » February 13th, 2022, 4:31 am

An interesting tidbit from wiki (no doubt copied verbatim from somewhere else)…

“ In 1984, Hawkins approached Madden. He and game producer Joe Ybarra arranged a follow-up meeting with the broadcaster during an Amtrak train trip over two days because of Madden's fear of flying.[3][6][7][8] The EA executives promised that the proposed game would be a sophisticated football simulation, and they asked the retired Oakland Raiders coach for his endorsement and expertise. Madden knew nothing about computers beyond his telestrator but agreed; he had taught a class at the University of California, Berkeley, called "Football for Fans",(I rarely use “OMG” but OMG how incredibly awesome that would have been to take.) and envisioned the program as a tool for teaching and testing plays.(Madden would continue to see the game as an educational tool. When asked in 2012 to describe Madden NFL, he called it "a way for people to learn the game and participate in the game at a pretty sophisticated level".Hawkins and Ybarra during the train trip learned football plays and strategies from Madden from sunrise to midnight.(Again…”OMG!”.

EA likely expected Madden to endorse the game without participating in its design. Early plans envisioned six or seven players per team because of technical limitations but Madden insisted on having 11 players, stating "I'm not putting my name on it if it's not real". Ybarra, who had played chess, not football, in high school, became an expert on the subject through his work, but found that 11 players overwhelmed contemporary home computers…”

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » February 13th, 2022, 6:29 pm

i wish this version would have been released back in 83

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » February 14th, 2022, 2:42 am

C64_Critic wrote:Ohhh look! Only ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS for a complete, used version on Ebay!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334290240579?hash=item4dd5404443:g:0YgAAOSwvGZh4H8P

If I can find one for, say, less than a $100 I'll most likely bite, but sadly I may be forced to let this one escape my loving attention.

Ever thought about the flash cart route? There's several good options out there for the C64.

I can understand wanting to stick with the complete experience (Manual, original cartridge or disk, etc.), but prices are just out of reach for a lot of stuff these days.

The Kung Fu Flash cartridge and BackBit seem to be two popular options that are pretty modern.
Last edited by Atariboy on April 15th, 2022, 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » February 15th, 2022, 12:42 am

Great write-up. I'm intrigued to try this out. I wonder if there is an emulator that has options to speed up the load times.
I had the first Madden game on the Megadrive as a kid. Being from England, where the sport isn't so big I found all the tactics options confusing and didn't know what I was doing.

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » February 15th, 2022, 12:50 am

ASalvaro wrote:Tom Landry football was amazing on the Amiga..it even had online play..me and a buddy would play online until 4am on some nights..thinking back now online play in 1993 was pretty amazing!
btw Tom Landry football is STILL being made by the original author of the Amiga version..it's called Pro Strategy Football and it's
on Android,Iphone & Steam and it's still looks pretty much the same as the Amiga version but a lot of features have been added

It blows my mind that you were playing against each other online in 93. That game looks great and it's wonderful that the developer is still making modern iterations. I wonder if they're any good?

jon

Postby jon » February 15th, 2022, 2:10 pm

There may be no better example than this firs5 Madden game when it comes to judging the game by not how good it plays but everything else. Just like the Front Page series there is so much enjoyment out of the game to make it an incredible game without ever taking control of any players.

This is a different type of game, just like a lot of computer games before 1997. Games like this simply can’t be viewed as a video game.

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » February 15th, 2022, 3:22 pm

Buttermancan wrote:
ASalvaro wrote:Tom Landry football was amazing on the Amiga..it even had online play..me and a buddy would play online until 4am on some nights..thinking back now online play in 1993 was pretty amazing!
btw Tom Landry football is STILL being made by the original author of the Amiga version..it's called Pro Strategy Football and it's
on Android,Iphone & Steam and it's still looks pretty much the same as the Amiga version but a lot of features have been added

It blows my mind that you were playing against each other online in 93. That game looks great and it's wonderful that the developer is still making modern iterations. I wonder if they're any good?

i have played it on the Android and the newer versions are still pretty good with basically the same graphics and more features but for whatever reason i still like the original Amiga version the best..it must be the nostagia factor

Return to “Reader Reviews”