Commodore 64 John Madden Football

The readers post their own reviews.
Teddybear

Commodore 64 John Madden Football

Postby Teddybear » February 4th, 2022, 1:42 pm

I guess this may be a little late but after the recent passing of Madden I was motivated to pull out his first EA game that was released for the C-64. I was then reminded on why it was kept in a box for many years....

Without a doubt, this was a very detail oriented offering for a football fan. The manual for this game is over 100 pages! Plenty of plays and formations to select and I was shocked that there are penalties called (you even get to accept or decline the penalty!) But because of the disk loading times it takes at least 45 seconds to get to play one single down. The action is slow and plodding. There is a "passing cursor" that if given enough practice works pretty well but everything just seems to be moving in slow motion. And boy, is it easy for the CPU to sack your quarterback!

I recall reading an article that highlighted how "hands on" Madden was with any football game that his name would be associated with and you certainly get that impression with his first offering. The game really tried to blend football play gaming action and strategy on one disk. Simply put, the reach exceeds the grasp for this game on the Commodore hardware. Still, it was enjoyable really giving this game a thorough play and seeing several options on it that would soon appear in the legendary upgrades that were released for the Genesis and SNES.

But for Commie football fixes I'll stick with 4th and Inches and TV Sports Football..........

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Commodore 64 John Madden Football

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 4th, 2022, 7:25 pm

I had no idea the series began on the C64! Hopefully the C64 Critic will see this and take action!!

jon

Postby jon » February 5th, 2022, 8:56 am

That's awesome. But I don't remember the Apple 2 version taking that long to load a play. That's too bad. I've always sung the praises of this game. I didn't know it was also on the C64 and that the C64 Critic could review it. Wow. This is strategy heavy with a lot of great customizable options and not necessarily about the action. Looking forward to the review.

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » February 5th, 2022, 1:24 pm

Ohhh look! Only ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS for a complete, used version on Ebay!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334290240579?hash=item4dd5404443:g:0YgAAOSwvGZh4H8P

If I can find one for, say, less than a $100 I'll most likely bite, but sadly I may be forced to let this one escape my loving attention.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 5th, 2022, 5:21 pm

I am sick of your excuses Sudz! Everyone has three mortgages nowadays!

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » February 5th, 2022, 8:22 pm

I remember this game actually. I remember the opening screen and everything. Damn I am old. It was revolutionary for its time and I'd like to play it again, of course I need to get my c64 back I think is in my dad's store room. I shall find out.

jon

Postby jon » February 6th, 2022, 12:00 pm

That's got to be the best game cover and opening sequence of all time. But seriously, who knew this game's value would age like a Neo Geo game. It certainly is surprising. I'm sure it's still fun regardless, but that manual is crazy.

jon

Postby jon » February 12th, 2022, 10:00 pm

This game, with it's in depth features and options and the huge manual, is representative of what was going on in those days with sports games on computer vs. consoles. It was a golden age, all through the mid 90's until around '97. The Front Page Sports Football and Baseball games had great, in depth manuals with a couple hundred pages if I recall. It really was wonderful being able to play these games while the 16 bit gen had such weaker depth to it.

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » February 13th, 2022, 1:22 am

Tom Landry football was amazing on the Amiga..it even had online play..me and a buddy would play online until 4am on some nights..thinking back now online play in 1993 was pretty amazing!
btw Tom Landry football is STILL being made by the original author of the Amiga version..it's called Pro Strategy Football and it's
on Android,Iphone & Steam and it's still looks pretty much the same as the Amiga version but a lot of features have been added

GeoX

Postby GeoX » February 13th, 2022, 4:23 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I had no idea the series began on the C64! Hopefully the C64 Critic will see this and take action!!

Actually it began on the Apple II but I never knew until today there were ever 8 bit versions! The game seems a lot for an 8-bit version to bite off. It’s a shame that an Atari version wasn’t made with it’s superior speed and graphics way back when.

BTW Madden insisted on 11 players per side!!!

Eric

Return to “Reader Reviews”