Commodore 64 John Madden Football

The readers post their own reviews.
C64_Critic

Re: Commodore 64 John Madden Football

Postby C64_Critic » November 22nd, 2022, 7:11 pm

Atariboy wrote:
C64_Critic wrote:Ohhh look! Only ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS for a complete, used version on Ebay!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334290240579?hash=item4dd5404443:g:0YgAAOSwvGZh4H8P

If I can find one for, say, less than a $100 I'll most likely bite, but sadly I may be forced to let this one escape my loving attention.

Ever thought about the flash cart route? There's several good options out there for the C64.

I can understand wanting to stick with the complete experience (Manual, original cartridge or disk, etc.), but prices are just out of reach for a lot of stuff these days.

The Kung Fu Flash cartridge and BackBit seem to be two popular options that are pretty modern.

I may regret my decision, but I found a copy on Ebay this week that I was able to buy for $60. Sadly, I waited until after I bid and won the game before I bothered to look at a Youtube video of the gameplay. Ohhhh boy! I may have just wasted $60 needlessly, this game looks like it's going to be a chore to play. We'll see what happens after it arrives.

jon

Postby jon » November 22nd, 2022, 7:49 pm

I'm definitely looking forward to a review. I played this game a ton back in the day. I made fake teams and fake players with certain teams having better players. It was amazing. I still view it as the best Madden game ever. But it was on the Apple ii. I don't remember there being any slowdown or it taking a long time for plays to load. It's kind of a bummer to hear the C64 version has those issues. Still, the plethora of options were very groundbreaking and I view it as a representation of what was going on with computer sports game during that time. A lot of depth and who could forget the huge manuals. The Front Page Sports Football manuals were epic. I think the baseball one can be seen for free somewhere. They're fascinating reads.

scotland

Postby scotland » November 23rd, 2022, 8:49 am

I'm looking forward to a review as well! I never knew Madden was on the C64.

Played a lot of sports games on the C64 (Hardball, Leaderboard, etc) but not Madden.

Not sure what the boards think of flashcarts these days, but I do have some systems, such as a VIC-20 and a C64 hooked into a hobbyist flashcart system. The games load from the SD in pretty much real time. Especially for the VIC-20, hobbyists have made a lot of fun games over the years, and the original system was a mess with different layouts of expanded memory.

jon

Postby jon » November 23rd, 2022, 12:47 pm

Yea I was pretty excited when it was brought up here that Madden was on the C64. Those other games like Hardball and Leaderboard sound interesting.

I’m kind of in a funny way interested to see Madden review. I can imagine it being really, really fun to review a game like that, maybe even more than playing it. The game can really stimulate your imagination. And that intro with John Madden when you start the game up is unbelievably epic. Even the cover of the game is insane.

Return to “Reader Reviews”