Resident Evil 4 VR (Oculus Quest 2)

The readers post their own reviews.
JWK

Resident Evil 4 VR (Oculus Quest 2)

Postby JWK » February 21st, 2022, 1:17 pm

A couple of years ago, I did a reader review for Resident Evil 7 on PSVR. I viewed it then (and still do) as THE killer app for PlayStation’s VR system. Like a lot of others, I look forward to PSVR2 taking the VR experience to new places with the improved tech, 4k in each eye and 120fps to keep gamers from getting motion sick.

Resident Evil 4 VR is obviously a different experience than 7. Much different, in my estimation. I’ve played Resident Evil 4 perhaps more than any game in the 3D era, finishing the game multiple times on Gamecube, PS2, Wii, PS3, PS4 and Switch. Each system had its individual pros and cons, but I viewed the PS4 version to be definitive. While the PS3/360 digital versions had been simply upscaled from the Gamecube to 720p, the PS4/XBoxOne game appeared in native 1080p HD and ran at 60 fps for the first time. Add in customizable controls and you had the best version of one of the greatest video games ever. The only problem I had? I missed the Wii’s pointer controls.

Enter: Resident Evil 4 VR only available for Facebook/Meta/Whatever They’re Calling Themselves Today’s Oculus Quest 2 system. I bought a Quest 2 for my daughter on her 12th birthday just over a month ago. It didn’t take long before I took it over to play RE4, a game I had been interested in since it’s release in 2021. The title screen has you looking out at the pews in the church at the center of the game’s first village… but you’re THERE. First person view and you move your head to view around you. You feel like you’re in the church. You can literally turnaround and see behind you. I’m impressed by just the title screen!

Some games get watered down when they have a VR version made. Not so with RE4. This is the full single player campaign in its entirety. You play as Leon Kennedy in first person mode for the whole 10 - 15 hour experience. No compromises. The game runs at a fairly smooth 72 frames per second, and while that sounds high, remember this is VR. It actually would benefit from running even higher. I got very motion sick my first two times playing around 30 minutes. Thankfully I was able to get used to it. There are multiple “comfort options” for those sensitive to VR. The visuals have received a decent bump. Thousands of assets and backgrounds have been either uprezzed or redrawn entirely. Certain bosses, like the lake monster, look far better and more believable in this version of the game. There are multiple options for the controls. You can physically grab weapons and healing items off your person to use them, but I chose a weapon wheel. You still physically reload your weapon, which can put you in some compromising situations as you’re getting used to the control changes but feel awesome as they become second nature later on. The controls themselves are FAR more modern than they’ve ever been. The right analogue was basically unused in the original GameCube game. It was a stubborn control design, but it worked well. Here, the controls are much more traditional with the left stick moving forward and backward and the right stick turning. You can also side step now, making many encounters throughout the game much easier. But the actual combat is where the game really shines. It’s motion controls used about as well as I’ve ever experienced in any game of this kind. Right arm raises the gun, the trigger fires. While not necessary, the left arm can be used to steady guns like the rifle. It works incredibly well. If you enjoyed landing headshots from across the room with the Wiimote, you’ll be even more precise here.

These changes and improvements to combat make this probably the easiest version of Resident Evil 4. The villagers and bosses still have the same stubborn patterns they always have, but Leon can run, move, back up, side step and aim with ease. The only thing that could make this version of RE4 more difficult is getting used to the controls at the rather tough village encounter that includes the chainsaw “doctor” and having to physically “pump” the shotgun between each shot. Other than that, expect the game to be easier than you remember. Boss encounters in particular are a breeze now. But also expect them to be far more epic. Nothing is quite like literally looking up at an El Gigante. It’s amazing.

I could go on and on about how, despite playing through this game some 15 times or so, I’m finding secrets for the first time because of how clean the art is in VR. Bird nests no longer blend into the background, for example. It’s undoubtedly the same Resident Evil 4 experience, but it’s a new game, too. RE4 has never looked or played or FELT like this. No doubt, the Mercenaries mode and Ada’s missions will be missed. But this remains an essential VR experience for newcomers and especially old fans that want to experience one of their favorite games in a new way. Play RE4 VR. It’s brilliant.

Grade: A

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Resident Evil 4 VR (Oculus Quest 2)

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 21st, 2022, 2:25 pm

I find it interesting how you "got used to" the motion sickness.

I wonder if this is something people in general can overcome just by sticking with it.

JWK

Postby JWK » February 21st, 2022, 2:53 pm

It’s a great question, Critic. Some may not feeling anything at all when they first play it. Others may never get used to it. I was one who was SO sick I was on the verge of puking my first two sessions. After that, I had to be very deliberate with my movements. Soon after, it was no big deal.

I don’t know how long Capcom and Facebook can keep RE4 VR exclusive to the Quest 2. If it’s gets optimized for PSVR2, the frame rate may be so high that even fewer develop motion sickness. Regardless, it’s really a fantastic way to play one of my favorite games ever. (I know it’s one of yours, too). Honestly, I don’t know if I’ll be able to go back to playing it any other way.

Tron

Postby Tron » June 8th, 2022, 10:24 am

JWK wrote:It’s a great question, Critic. Some may not feeling anything at all when they first play it. Others may never get used to it. I was one who was SO sick I was on the verge of puking my first two sessions. After that, I had to be very deliberate with my movements. Soon after, it was no big deal.

I don’t know how long Capcom and Facebook can keep RE4 VR exclusive to the Quest 2. If it’s gets optimized for PSVR2, the frame rate may be so high that even fewer develop motion sickness. Regardless, it’s really a fantastic way to play one of my favorite games ever. (I know it’s one of yours, too). Honestly, I don’t know if I’ll be able to go back to playing it any other way.

Wow! Almost puking after 2 sessions & you stuck with it? I commend you for your dedication to gaming. Thus at this time I would like to nominate you for the “Diehard Gamer of the month award”.

Unfortunately I lack the constitution you possess. I am extremely sensitive to bright lights and loud sounds. I can’t stand being under those industrial overhead lights for very long. Loud noises drive me crazy. As much as I would love to play this game I know that the VR stuff ain’t for me.

Return to “Reader Reviews”