Inside (Available for all major platforms: PC version tested)

The readers post their own reviews.
Buttermancan

Inside (Available for all major platforms: PC version tested)

Postby Buttermancan » July 30th, 2023, 10:40 am

Inside is possibly the most cinematic and atmospheric title I’ve experienced in my thirty plus years of playing video games. Somewhat of a spiritual successor to ‘Limbo’, ‘Playdead’s’ follow up has you take control of a young boy who is running away from a nefarious group that we know nothing about. Navigating the boy through the 2d landscape, the player must stealthily hide from would be captors, and his escape through the woods is nail biting as we witness our character survive several near misses which culminate in a dramatic end to the opening segment. This harrowing start sets the tone of what to expect as we navigate the vulnerable child through this bleak, dystopian world.

Facing danger at every turn, death greets you in horrific ways such as being savaged by grizzly dogs, strangulation and drowning. Animated convincingly, these grim scenes are disturbing but help to elevate the tension. On your journey you'll encounter a variety of Puzzles that are mostly unique in concept to each other. These range from timing the pull of a lever to ensure the object it's connected to protects you from a violent blast of wind, to controlling zombified workers via mind control to activate pressure plates. Several of these appear overly complex in nature only for the simple solution to be staring you in the face. Thankfully the controls are simple and responsive enough that deaths and mistakes always felt like user error rather than poor programming.

Inside’s music and rich sound design are deeply immersive, with the latter being amongst the greatest I’ve come across in the gaming medium. Aesthetically reserved, the art direction is sparse in colour, yet every scene looks like it’s lifted from a photography manual.

Perhaps Inside’s greatest puzzle is working out what story it is trying to tell. With no backstory whatsoever, the ending is fascinating and leaves a lot to interpretation: it will play upon the minds of those that have experienced it for weeks after completion.

Graphics :- 90%

Sound design :- 96%

Sound track :- 90%

Playability :- 90%

Replay Value :- 65%

Final Verdict :- 90%

Billydeethrilliamsss

Re: Inside (Available for all major platforms: PC version tested)

Postby Billydeethrilliamsss » August 4th, 2023, 4:29 pm

Excellent review. I think Inside is one of the best games of it's time, and a great successor to older, classic cinematic platformers. And it blows Limbo out of the water. Hopefully we see Playdead's next game soon.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » August 5th, 2023, 11:28 pm

This darkly surreal game definitely made an impression on me. I completed it in one sitting. It is one of the few games that made me realize when I pass away, I wish to exist in the afterlife as an amorphous mass.

Great Review, thank you for rekindling memories.

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » August 15th, 2023, 6:31 am

Thanks for the positive feedback guys. Several weeks on from completing the game and I am still thinking about it from time to time. It's currently on Xbox Game Pass if anyone wants to check it out.

Return to “Reader Reviews”