The Fatal Frame series is not for me

The readers post their own reviews.
JohanOberg

The Fatal Frame series is not for me

Postby JohanOberg » October 23rd, 2023, 10:36 am

This won't exactly be a review but still.

I've played three Fatal Frame games. Mask of the Lunar Eclipse on Wii, the original Fatal Frame on PS2, and Fatal Frame 2 on Wii (Project Zero 2 Wii Edition as it's called). I've only managed to finished Mask of the Lunar Eclipse, and it was not a pleasant experience, then I gave up on Fatal Frame early on due to the controls mostly, and I gave up on 2 several hours in after similar unpleasantness and a particularily annoying boss battle. My issues:

1. I can't figure out the battle system(taking photos of ghosts) and probably hence I don't get any enjoyment out of it. It took me until the last hour of Mask of the Lunar Eclipse to figure out that the game had a lock-on system which was stupid of me I admit, but even so, it's much more annoying than scary that ghosts weave around and disappear altogether only to reappear right next to me and bam, they grab me and I lose health. Sometimes a photo doesn't register damage even though the ghost was clearly still in view when I took shot, or I frequently miss the timing trying to wait until a Fatal Frame appears. Those extra lenses I never figured out how to use either... I'm willing to concede most of this is probably my own fault, but still. Majority annoying.

2. Control in Fatal Frame 1. Walking with the right stick and moving the camera with the left is much more disorienting than swapping A and B in a platforming game to me.

3. Slow "running",too much backtracking, and not knowing where to go. I frequently felt bored and "why isn't this over yet?" with Mask of the Lunar Eclipse, running around the mansions and village in these games back and forth looking for stuff gets tedious fast, even if they really are spot-on with the atmosphere and sense of dread. There's also a similar feeling to the combat as I think it takes too long for the ghosts to "die".

I don't know, I want to like these games but I can't, and it's mostly because of the combat but also because of how drawn-out it all feels like.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: The Fatal Frame series is not for me

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 25th, 2023, 8:58 pm

Thanks for sharing - especially around Halloween! I'm kind of surprised you got three titles in before decided you didn't like the series though! I think I would have stopped at the first one.

JohanOberg

Postby JohanOberg » October 27th, 2023, 3:19 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Thanks for sharing - especially around Halloween! I'm kind of surprised you got three titles in before decided you didn't like the series though! I think I would have stopped at the first one.

Well the atmosphere kept pulling me in... I still kind of want to play the third game because the going between the real world and old-timey ghost world until the ghosts start to invade the real world is a cool concept, but I'm not going to given my past experiences. Given that I did try Fatal Frame 2 again and made it past the boss I was stuck on and finished the game at least.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » October 27th, 2023, 7:28 pm

I played the first game as a PS2 Classic on PS3, but never beat it. The combat was just too janky. The ghosts blend in too much with the environments, and trying to keep the camera on them while they zip back and forth was frustrating. It's a shame, because I love the atmosphere and soundtrack too.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » October 31st, 2023, 4:53 pm

I liked Project Zero 2 (aka Fatal Frame II) on Switch. Nice atmosphere, nice progression and I thought the controles were fine too.

Return to “Reader Reviews”