Monopoly (NES)

The readers post their own reviews.
MaverickMoPete

Monopoly (NES)

Postby MaverickMoPete » March 6th, 2024, 10:23 pm

Title: Monopoly
System: NES
Publisher: Parker Brothers (1991)

Everyone knows about the popular board game Monopoly. But not losing all those pieces and cards, having to keep track of money and rents, and counting on your fellow players to not cheat you is such a hassle. Well, your worries are over, as this version of Monopoly gives you everything you need to play the game, and all you need is an NES, the game cartridge, and a controller!

The graphics and sound are functional rather than flashy. The game was designed with performance on the NES in mind, and it does the job admirably. There's no flicker, and the animations, while limited, do the job. There are a few fun animations too, such as seeing Uncle Pennybags/Mr. Monopoly get chucked out of jail or seeing the little bunny under the top hat token. Some of the sound bites are fun too, like the "Choo-Choo!" of landing on a Railroad, or the "ZAP" of landing on Electric Company.

The best part about this version of Monopoly is what it provides you with. It can keep track of cash on hand, properties, and houses and hotels for up to 8 players, and all of them can play using a single controller. Don't have that many friends? No problem! Computer players can be added to fill any vacancies. In fact, if you want to, try setting up a CPU only game and watch what kind of surprising strategies they'll use to drive their opponents to bankruptcy!

Added features include being able to establish a time limit, which can be changed at will during the game. When time is up, the player with the most money and assets is the winner. Otherwise, you play until only one player is left. The game also includes several "pre-set" games, but these are 4-player only. You can also completely set up the board before starting the game, assigning property to players, adjusting how much cash they start with, and even building houses and hotels!

There are a few downsides to the game, alas. Computer Players will sometimes get into time-consuming trade negotiations that ultimately lead to nothing, which can be annoying. The fact that you can only play with the official Monopoly Rules is a bit of a bummer. No house rules here, folks! And the "Money Eating" animations that come with paying rent or taxes can be time consuming, especially as houses and hotels get built and rents skyrocket.

Monopoly on the NES is exactly what it needs to be: A decent Monopoly simulator that gives you everything you need to play the game without throwing in a bunch of unnecessary bells and whistles. If you just want to play Monopoly without having to worry about all the pieces and cards and money counting, this game will suit your needs perfectly.

My Grade: B
Last edited by MaverickMoPete on March 7th, 2024, 5:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

matmico399

Re: Monopoly (NES)

Postby matmico399 » March 7th, 2024, 12:11 am

Several years back I bought both Monopoly and Clue for the NES. Not half bad and good for solo gaming. Clue on the other hand was not good. At least I got one pretty good one.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 7th, 2024, 9:20 pm

I'm glad this game offers the time limit option. This solves the age-old problem of the game just dragging on and on with no sign of conclusion. I never thought the original board game was all that great.

MaverickMoPete

Postby MaverickMoPete » March 8th, 2024, 5:28 am

That actually reminds me of a few extra features I forgot to mention. (None of which are grade changing, but they're nice to know about.)

You can toggle CPU Players between "hurry" and "relax", which affects how quickly they take actions.

You can switch players between human and computer control,

You can even end the game at any point you wish, and the game will immediately determine the winner based on assets (Cash on Hand, Properties owned, Houses/Hotels).

LuckyWDFN

Postby LuckyWDFN » March 9th, 2024, 9:50 am

I've played the Genesis port. If you set everything to play in "hurry" mode, you can blow through a game very fast while retaining the fun and strategy of the board game. Because of the speed and taking out the human element of banking etc, it takes a slow game and makes it enjoyable. I like the board game Risk on Sega Genesis for this very reason. You can play a whole game of Monopoly or Risk in about 20 minutes where it can take HOURS in a board game.

Another feature I like about the game are the computer opponents... they all have a different personality as to how they approach the game. For example - one loves railroads (and will attempt to trade you out of yours), one favors only high-end properties, one is a shrewd trader of properties, one's a dumbass etc... They all play and trade differently with each other (and you) based on these traits.

Eric

Postby Eric » March 9th, 2024, 8:52 pm

As a kid when we played the Monopoly board game we didn't do it right. Roll the dice, go around the board, buy a property if you land on it, build houses. Playing that way is interminable, and I'm not sure I ever finished a game.

A few years ago I read the instructions. If you play the game according to the rules it is much, much better. One example that makes a big difference is the auction rule. If the person who lands on the property doesn't buy it, it is immediately auctioned to the highest bidder. The opening bid can be anything. That gets the property out there much faster and speeds the game up.

If you want to speed it up more there are short game rules. I've never had a game go more than two hours using those. The property cards get shuffled and every player gets dealt three at the beginning of the game. If you don't roll doubles on your first try you have to pay to get out of jail. The income tax is a flat $200. You're supposed to end the game when one person goes bankrupt. But I prefer to play until only one player is left. It's fun to outfox all your rivals and become kingpin.

Other things that surprised me: the free parking jackpot rule doesn't really exist, and you can make deals with other players at any time according to any terms you choose.

If you play the game the way it's supposed to be played there is a lot of strategy involved. If you don't it's like being on a merry-go-round that never stops.
Last edited by Eric on March 10th, 2024, 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eric

Postby Eric » March 10th, 2024, 10:16 am

Just watched YouTube footage of the Master System version. Why did they have to put a pimp feather in the top hat?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 10th, 2024, 10:34 am

Eric wrote:Just watched YouTube footage of the Master System version. Why did they have to put a pimp feather in the top hat?

Somebody's gotta take care of the hookers on Baltic Ave.

MaverickMoPete

Postby MaverickMoPete » March 10th, 2024, 4:30 pm

The problem with the Baltic Ave. Hookers is that they aren’t the expensive kind.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 10th, 2024, 5:22 pm

I'm starting to see why hotels are so popular in this game.

Return to “Reader Reviews”