Planet Puzzle League (NDS)

The readers post their own reviews.
MaverickMoPete

Planet Puzzle League (NDS)

Postby MaverickMoPete » March 16th, 2024, 9:42 pm

Title: Planet Puzzle League
System: Nintendo DS
Publisher: Nintendo (2007)

In what is a strange rarity for the Puzzle League/Panel de Pon games, this is the first one that didn't have the cute fairy folk of Panel de Pon nor did it have some license linked to it like Tetris Attack (SNES, 1996) or Pokémon Puzzle League (N64, 2000). But what this most certainly proves is that Puzzle League games don't need a license attached to them to be an addictingly fun puzzle game to play.

The DS's design allows you to play the game either horizontally (best used with button controls) or vertically (best for touch controls). I personally find the touch controls for this to be a godsend, as it allows you to easily slide panels all the way from one side of the stack to the other without button mashing. And good news for you lefties out there: Adjusting the appropriate option will cause the screens to rotate so you can play it left-handed!

The graphics, sounds, and music aren't really much to write home about, but this is one of those games where less is more. The stage selections allow you to find the right stage for your mood, and more importantly, they provide atmosphere without being detracting from the gameplay. The panel designs are simple, but distinct enough that you can clearly tell which ones you're supposed to line up to make clears.

With six single player modes, there's a gameplay style for any length of time you have. Whether it's trying to get the highest score you can in two minutes, or seeing how long you can keep your panels from reaching the top, there's something for everyone here. And with wireless play, you can even challenge up to three of your friends in three different game modes! There also was Online Play, but with the shutdown of the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, that's no longer an option, sadly.

If you want to give a truly addicting puzzle game a try, this is the perfect place to start. It's not for everyone, certainly, but it's kept me hooked for Endless game sessions that ran over an hour. Just make sure you have a comfortable stylus if you're playing with touch controls, because otherwise, your hand will be hurting.

My Grade: A

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Planet Puzzle League (NDS)

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 17th, 2024, 12:22 pm

It's cool to see a new DS review! That system seems to have been forgotten by many. This game might be something I'd want to pick up! Thanks for writing this.

MaverickMoPete

Postby MaverickMoPete » March 18th, 2024, 9:48 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:It's cool to see a new DS review! That system seems to have been forgotten by many. This game might be something I'd want to pick up! Thanks for writing this.

Watch yourself if you try Endless Mode. You might never want to stop!

Hagane

Postby Hagane » March 19th, 2024, 9:56 pm

A great game for those who love Tetris Attack/Panel de Pon, but the DS touch screen gives a new edge to the game.

Another puzzle game I love on DS is Meteos.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » March 24th, 2024, 12:42 pm

This game is decent (you hold the DS horizontal), but I feel it's kinda bland... it doesn't have the personality of the original Tetris Attack / Pokemon Puzzle Leagues. I like that games a little more.

Return to “Reader Reviews”