Wolfenstein 3D (SNES vs Jaguar)

The readers post their own reviews.
Zack Burner

Wolfenstein 3D (SNES vs Jaguar)

Postby Zack Burner » March 27th, 2024, 11:25 am

Been on a binge playing this classic game, even the DOS games but what about these two console versions? For one thing they have included 2 more weapons and feature not only the bosses of the classic game, but also from the Spear of Destiny expansion. The real question is, which version is better? I'll go over the pros and cons of each.

SNES:
positive: tight gameplay, includes the music
negative: high pixelations, sloppy translation/includes censorship

Jaguar:
positive: has the blood and Nazi references
negative: slippery control, lack of music, confusing button schematic

Feel free to expand upon anything I may have missed.

CaptainCruch

Re: Wolfenstein 3D (SNES vs Jaguar)

Postby CaptainCruch » April 27th, 2024, 4:22 am

The version on the Jaguar does have music; maybe you are confused with Doom on the Jaguar, which indeed doesn't have music.

Honestly, I don't take your question very seriously, because for me the Jaguar version is far superior to the SNES version of Wolfenstein 3D. It looks and plays much smoother.

A more interesting question would be Wolfenstein 3D: 3DO vs. Jaguar, with very different versions, both of which are very nice.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 27th, 2024, 10:10 am

The fact that Wolfenstein does have music on the Jaguar makes the LACK of music in Doom all the more disconcerting. Did they run out of time??

Verm3

Postby Verm3 » April 27th, 2024, 1:23 pm

The 3DO version of Wolfenstein is probably the best of the console versions.

The gameplay is comparable to the Jaguar version, but it has 90 levels instead of 30 (the 30 from the other console ports, and 60 more that attempt to imitate all the PC versions maps).

I'm also partial to the 3DO versions soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0tPC8DHRlA

Maybe it's the mythical 3DO game that the critic is seeking, to balance the force :p

EDIT: Blimey, it's certainly gone up in price since I purchased it back in the 2000's!

djc

Postby djc » April 27th, 2024, 3:26 pm

The Jaguar version easily bests the SNES version for a number of reasons:

1. It uses the improved graphics found in the Apple version of the game (which are actually better than the PC version)

2. It is not censored and more closely matches the original source material. The SNES version does not contain any Nazi artifacts and has other weirdness like giant rats as enemies.

3. The Jag version contains music faithful to the original.

VideoGameCritic wrote:The fact that Wolfenstein does have music on the Jaguar makes the LACK of music in Doom all the more disconcerting. Did they run out of time??

One of the authors of the game said relatively recently that it was a licensing issue with the music which is why it had to be removed from the game (late in the process from what I recall reading). It's a shame because the Jag version could have easily been the best version of the game.

The new 32X homebrew (Doom Resurrection) uses the Jaguar engine as the base and fixes many issues of the original 32X port (including a SIGNIFICANTLY improved soundtrack). If you feel the version of Doom on the 32X is watered down, I urge you to give this one a try as you will not be disappointed.

Hagane

Postby Hagane » April 27th, 2024, 3:56 pm

I like how the SNES version of Wolfenstein 3D runs fast, it runs way faster than Doom on the console, compared with the PC version there are more weapons on the SNES version, also the stages are shorter and more dynamic, plus you can circle-straffing with the shoulder buttons, way before circle-straffing became a thing.

All things considered, the Jaguar version still clearly superior to the SNES version.

Quick_Man

Postby Quick_Man » April 27th, 2024, 8:42 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:The fact that Wolfenstein does have music on the Jaguar makes the LACK of music in Doom all the more disconcerting. Did they run out of time??

From what I remember it's actualy because the processor that would usually handle music in Jaguar games was instead used for things like collision detection and physics. They really pushed the Jaguar to the point it was impossible without some sacrifice, so music it was.

Return to “Reader Reviews”