Bad Street Brawler (NES)

The readers post their own reviews.
MaverickMoPete

Bad Street Brawler (NES)

Postby MaverickMoPete » March 27th, 2024, 8:05 pm

Title: Bad Street Brawler
System: NES
Publisher: Mattel (1989)

With this game, Mattel had two primary objectives. The first was to cash in on the beat-em-up craze inspired by the runaway success of Double Dragon (NES, 1988). The second was to provide gamers with a reason to drop $75 for their Power Glove (IT'S SO BAD!) gaming accessory. Does it succeed at either of these objectives? Well, not ever having the "pleasure" of owning a Power Glove, I cannot speak for the second one. For the first, one, however... The polite way I can say it is "no." The impolite but accurate way would get me banned from this forum, so I won't say that.

What I will say is that Beam Software turned out a game that can be best described as "meh." You move your "action hero" Duke Davis through stages that only allow you to move left or right, jump, and crouch, fighting such nefarious ne'er-do-wells as stray dogs, circus strongmen midgets, thugs with bats, and gorillas. Adding insult to injury, the bosses are more of the same. With a very short time limit for each stage, you're almost obligated to mostly ignore the random enemies and just rush for the bosses. I can't say I've seen every level in the game and maybe there are cooler enemies later on, but getting that far will require a level of patience most people won't have.

The graphics are plain to the point of being bland, and the music and sound are miserably simple. The game tries to act like it's incorporating interesting strategies by giving you a different move set for each stage, but most often you'll find yourself using the same move over and over just because it's the only one that actually works. Add stunlocking and a lot of cheap hits to that, and you'll find your rather small amount of life depleting rapidly. And if you die, you have to start the entire level over. ARGH!

There are a lot of good beat-em-ups on the NES, so there's almost no excuse for a game this "bleh." Just like the Power Glove this game tried to get people to buy, it really is "so bad."

My Grade: D

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Bad Street Brawler (NES)

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 27th, 2024, 8:08 pm

Bad - Street's - Back - ALRIGHT!

ASalvaro

Re: Bad Street Brawler (NES)

Postby ASalvaro » March 29th, 2024, 12:56 pm

MaverickMoPete wrote:Title: Bad Street Brawler
System: NES
Publisher: Mattel (1989)

With this game, Mattel had two primary objectives. The first was to cash in on the beat-em-up craze inspired by the runaway success of Double Dragon (NES, 1988). The second was to provide gamers with a reason to drop $75 for their Power Glove (IT'S SO BAD!) gaming accessory. Does it succeed at either of these objectives? Well, not ever having the "pleasure" of owning a Power Glove, I cannot speak for the second one. For the first, one, however... The polite way I can say it is "no." The impolite but accurate way would get me banned from this forum, so I won't say that.

What I will say is that Beam Software turned out a game that can be best described as "meh." You move your "action hero" Duke Davis through stages that only allow you to move left or right, jump, and crouch, fighting such nefarious ne'er-do-wells as stray dogs, circus strongmen midgets, thugs with bats, and gorillas. Adding insult to injury, the bosses are more of the same. With a very short time limit for each stage, you're almost obligated to mostly ignore the random enemies and just rush for the bosses. I can't say I've seen every level in the game and maybe there are cooler enemies later on, but getting that far will require a level of patience most people won't have.

The graphics are plain to the point of being bland, and the music and sound are miserably simple. The game tries to act like it's incorporating interesting strategies by giving you a different move set for each stage, but most often you'll find yourself using the same move over and over just because it's the only one that actually works. Add stunlocking and a lot of cheap hits to that, and you'll find your rather small amount of life depleting rapidly. And if you die, you have to start the entire level over. ARGH!

There are a lot of good beat-em-ups on the NES, so there's almost no excuse for a game this "bleh." Just like the Power Glove this game tried to get people to buy, it really is "so bad."

My Grade: D

its much better on the Amiga

Return to “Reader Reviews”