System Overview - Amstrad GX4000

The readers post their own reviews.
Marriott_Guy1

Postby Marriott_Guy1 » August 19th, 2007, 3:53 pm

The GX4000, released in the UK in 1989 by Amstrad, is definitely one of the most unique looking video game consoles ever released. Amstrad, a popular computer manufacturer, looked to cash in on the lucrative video game console market like many of its peers had attempted to do, some more successful than others. Sporting a very sleek design that resembles the snow speeder in Star Wars, looking underneath the hood of this console reveals anything but space-age technology at the time of its release.

The GX4000 is basically a modified CPC6128+ computer. This enabled the console to be compatible with many existing CPC computer games and applications. The system came packaged with the two controllers (NES style), AV cables and a racing game entitled Burnin Rubber. Released for commercial sale for $99 (British Pound), this console was moderately priced at its time. With a substantial amount of readily available ports from the CPC, the GX4000 would not have to entirely rely upon new game development but could be subsidized by its sister system(s) for game content/programming. Even with all of these positive measures, the GX4000 was doomed from the beginning.

The GX4000 was powered by an 8 bit Zilog Z80A processor, which could display a color palette of 4096 (impressive at the time for an 8 bit system) and enhanced sound. The drawback - 16 bit processing technology was released by Sega (and shortly thereafter Nintendo) just after the GX4000 hit the store shelves - this sealed this consoles fate. Porting of the inferior CPC games to the GX4000 did not prove to be financially sound and was quickly abandoned. Around 32 games were released for this console and could be found in the bargain bins throughout the UK along with the GX4000 system within months of it's initial release.

The GX4000 is an interesting system, but only recommended as a purchase for collectors. Readily available in the UK and abroad through eBay and like services, a CIB (complete in box) system can run you around $50-$100 USD, much less in the UK, but keep in mind that shipping costs can be pricey (around $70 USD from the UK to the USA).

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » August 27th, 2007, 6:24 am

Great review but I would add to that "its an amstrad!".  Your review does not state whether it was a cartridge based system or that terrible 3 inch disk (still not as terrible as Clive Sinclair's decision to use Microdrives in the QL!)was used athe data source.

To qualify that for American readers is to explain that Amstrad put out various things that always seemed to be a couple of steps behind everyone else.  
When i saw this console I just thought, I am not getting it. 
Amstrad also released a 286 PC with a sega genesis in it as the ultimate games machine. 

Marriott_Guy1

Postby Marriott_Guy1 » August 28th, 2007, 7:54 pm

Thanks Astro for the feedback.  The review I posted here was just the text body copied from another site I originally posted the review on.  The review on the other site includes pictures (hardware/packaging) and technical details (specs, media type and the like) that accompany this overview.

Yes - Amstrad was always a step behind it seemed - I agree.  But, I only wanted to review this system and not the company.  Great feedback though - it is appreciated!

Return to “Reader Reviews”