Sega 32X

The readers post their own reviews.
Herschie

Re: Sega 32X

Postby Herschie » February 16th, 2021, 6:04 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Since I haven't priced that system in a while, I'm a little hesitate to recommend it. I would make sure the carts you want for it are attainable first.

So the other week I had a few extra bucks and decided to seek out a flash cart for the Genesis. What I actually found was one that will play SMS, Genesis, 32X, and CD games. All on the Genesis. Wasn't the cheapest thing in the world, but hey, I'm getting the ability to play four systems in one.

This is basically the long way of saying I can get any game's ROM for the 32X. Only thing is, unlike the CD or Master System, you actually need the 32X attachment to play 32X games.

The flash cart is amazing if you're wondering. You'd think I'd be playing my PS5 all the time, but no. Notice how all the sudden I'm playing all these Sega games in the "Now Playing" section?

strat

Postby strat » February 16th, 2021, 8:26 pm

The TerraOnion MegaSD has the Sega CD implemented via FPGA but it requires a 32-X for those games. Assume the latter goes for Mega Everdrive.
https://terraonion.com/en/producto/megasd/

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » February 16th, 2021, 10:27 pm

It does apply to the Mega Everdrive. There's no practical way for a FPGA multicart to offer 32X functionality.

It's not obvious for someone that has never owned one, but the 32X works in a unique way with the video/audio output of the Sega Genesis sent to an input on the rear of the 32X. The 32X then combines what the Genesis sent to it with what the 32X itself is doing, and sends the final result to your tv screen via the 32X's own video/audio out.

For something like an Everdrive to do this, the cartridge would obviously be pretty cumbersome since it too would need inputs to receive audio and video from the Genesis and also its own set of video/audio outputs. And last I knew, a reasonably accurate 32X core was still out of reach on affordable FPGA technology like the MiSTer or Mega Sg.

I don't fully understand how the Sega CD core of these two multicarts is possible through the Genesis cartridge port, but I suspect the expansion port of the Genesis and the cartridge slot have lines wired up in common, making this possible. 32X though would seem to be a different beast entirely.

djc

Postby djc » February 17th, 2021, 12:15 am

I am also a fan of the 32X. There are near perfect arcade ports of some twitch shooters like Space Harrier and Afterburner. It has good home versions of Mortal Kombat II (probably the best home version) and NBA Jam TE. If you like FMV games, Night Trap on the 32X is a good time but you'll need the Sega CD to enjoy that one. Decent early 3D games as well like Virtua Fighter and Virtua Racing.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » April 9th, 2021, 3:43 pm

djc wrote:Virtua Racing.

Easily, the best Sega port in the library, in terms of what you can't find anywhere else.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » April 9th, 2021, 3:47 pm

And Darxide, which was sadly passed over for NA release... :-(

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » April 9th, 2021, 4:39 pm

MSR1701 wrote:And Darxide, which was sadly passed over for NA release... :-(

I don't know. I usually play the game like 3d Asteroids until I get bored. Is there something more to it?

Right now, it feels more like a tech demo than a finished game. Especially with those frame rates in the hanger.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » April 9th, 2021, 5:24 pm

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:

I don't know. I usually play the game like 3d Asteroids until I get bored. Is there something more to it?

Right now, it feels more like a tech demo than a finished game. Especially with those frame rates in the hanger.

It's a fun arcade space shooter with great music and fast n smooth game play (especially considering it is a PAL game).

goldenband

Postby goldenband » April 9th, 2021, 10:17 pm

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:

Cue A User’s Guide to Darxide for the SEGA 32X:

A User’s Guide to Darxide for the SEGA 32X wrote:"The Misconceptions: Despite what everyone on the internet says, Darxide is not just about flying around and blowing up asteroids. This is not just 3D Asteroids with a few enemy fighters thrown in. This is a misconception that seems to stem from the fact that most people cannot get past the first mission, because from the second mission onward the game begins piling on new mission objectives and goals. Destroying all of the asteroids in the area is a persistent goal throughout the game, but they also appear in progressively smaller numbers as other goals begin to take precedence."

djc

Postby djc » April 9th, 2021, 11:46 pm

As was FIFA Soccer which I really want to get my hands on but it's pricey.

Return to “Reader Reviews”