Sega 32X

The readers post their own reviews.
NixonTech2071

Sega 32X

Postby NixonTech2071 » April 19th, 2008, 12:25 pm

NOTE: Im not putting any pic's cause I really dont want this to take long.
 (And I hope any of those "pic's or it didnt happen" phrases dont leech here!)

During 1994 to 1995 sega released an add-on for the genesis. This add on was to carry a pretty powerful 32-bit processor that when demonstrated at a tech demo, people were at aww at the magnificant amount of gourard polygons and shades it would have pulled off. Unfortunately, when this device was released, the saturn was on it's way! To make matters worse, the capabilities of the system never came to be and people were steamed at the lack of innovation in most of it's 2D games. This had so many problems sega couldnt even count. The fact that this seemed NOT 30% testedThat it was really missleading from the tech demo. Audio for one thing; was really mushy, it was a pain in the azzcan to set up, only 36 games were made for this! (36 is way below hardly in a console lifetime) REQUIRED ITS OWN POWER ADAPTER!

FOR TODAY: Basicly the 32X is more valuable today then it was yesteryear.
I can still say if you have a 1st generation genesis (like I do) and the 32X.  It still is a pain to hook up! I still cant figure out why only 97% of the system is working! I have all to cables for this to work! Even that A/V in cord is attached! Somebody please help! And if I could just ask, why is it so dang important to put those magnetic plates in!?! You put a spacer in the 2nd model but not those plates? I need ANOTHER explanation!
The games I have are: Doom, star wars arcade (not working?) and The worst racer ever, Motocross championship. I dont know why SWA isnt working.
I cant seem toget the A/V in cable to work properly, But the graphics are not
too much to shout about.

IS IT WORTH IT?: Basicly the only thing noteworthy about this system is the fact that home developers can probably make more graphicly impressive games. So yeah I guess it's worth it since Im a die hard collector.

pfccypret

Sega 32X

Postby pfccypret » May 3rd, 2008, 10:46 pm

The 32x was a great addition to collections 4-5 years ago when the things could still be found really cheap. I don't know what it is these days, but most of them I see know cost $30-40.  They are still cheap at Flea Markets (I'm sure everyone knows this, but for those that don't, Flea Markets are great for classic gamers) but hard to find.

The 32x had some good games for it. I enjoy mine and as I said, if you can find one cheap, it is worth getting. If you can't find one cheap, I'd pass.

Herschie

Re: Sega 32X

Postby Herschie » February 9th, 2021, 1:26 pm

Hate to revive an old thread, but one thing that drives me nuts on Facebook is multiple posts about the same topic. For example, everyone who gets a PS5 feels the need to show it off, so it really clutters up my feed. I wish they could do it like these internet forums where there's one topic that everyone can post in. Nice and neat.

But I digress. The US Postal Service says that my flash cart should be arriving today, although the mail service is simply atrocious in Chicago. I was originally looking for one for the Genesis, however Stone Age Gamer had one that can play Genesis, Sega CD, Master System games. And 32X. However, with the 32X, you actually need the actual add-on, unlike with the Sega CD for some reason.

So now I'm seeing these things going for $99, but I'm questioning if it's worth it or not. From what I understand it's only a minor upgrade from the Genesis. However my mind takes me back to all those times I'd be at Woodfield Mall in the 90s with no leg to stand on when asking my parents for any sort of new console. I was lucky to be able to play Tecmo Super Bowl on the NES, and I remember wanting one of these new systems so bad. There was this football game I wanted to play but it was hard to ask for after my parents signed yet another detention slip.

For those who have a 32X would it be worth the $99?

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » February 16th, 2021, 4:53 am

H,
I think the critic needs to address this issue. I never got a 32x in the UK as it only had 6 games released for it.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » February 16th, 2021, 5:17 am

Herschie wrote:For those who have a 32X would it be worth the $99?

May I suggest emulating it see if it's worth it to you?

You can always delete the games after you've satisfied your curiosity. If you'd rather not, then I'll leave you with this -

One of my favorite games is Galaga on the 7800. Not because it can compete with other versions, or because it stands out as a unique variant. Mostly, what makes it unique counts against it.

Still, it's a game I desperately wanted, and couldn't afford. Not even at a yard sale. So whenever I play it now, it's an instant time machine to a long ago summer, that I can escape into for as long as it takes me to use up my lives.

If you think some of the 32x games might be that for you? Then it's a personal choice what price you're willing to pay for it.

Otherwise, you'll find a system that's taking up too many wall outlets, and offers little that hasn't been done better, elsewhere.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » February 16th, 2021, 6:48 am

32X has some very interesting gems hidden, some relatively inexpensive, and some that will cost you the same as a car (Darxide...).

Among the gems are Virtua Racing Delux (which has exclusive features not found in other versions), Virtua Fighter (again, features that are present are not in other versions), Darxide (PAL only shooter that would not be out of place in an early Saturn/PSX list), Doom (a showcase that the system could handle Doom (look at the poor effort of Doom on the 3DO)), Star Wars Arcade (the only port of this game to my knowledge, and a fun one still), and ShadowSquadron.

Oh, and very good versions of Mortal Kombat II, NBA Jam TE, and Primal Rage (if you have the system to run 32X, these typically perform somewhere between SNES and Genesis).

DocHix

Postby DocHix » February 16th, 2021, 12:36 pm

I agree with MSR1701. The 32X can take a little getting used to in terms of connectivity (be sure to download a PDF of the manual before you buy/try to be sure you understand all of the "pieces" you'll need to get the system up and running) but there are some really outstanding games to be played. In addition to the titles MSR1701 mentioned, I also like "Space Harrier", "Afterburner", "Tempo" and the amazing "Kolibri."

goldenband

Postby goldenband » February 16th, 2021, 3:28 pm

I like the 32X, though I actually don't agree that the most-acclaimed titles deserve the plaudits they get -- I didn't like Kolibri and loathed Blackthorne, and I'm not in love with the MKII port either.

But if you like grungy early 3D and transitional games from the mid-1990s, the 32X is ground zero, and has kind of a weird 3DO-meets-Jaguar thing going on. My favorite games on the system are Metal Head, Space Harrier, Virtua Fighter, Night Trap -- and oddly enough Motocross Championship, which has a horrible reputation but is actually quite playable if you know how to get past the inevitable traffic jam at the start.

DarXide is also interesting, though hard to wrap one's head around at first. Nice-looking game though.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 16th, 2021, 5:27 pm

I have a soft place in my heart for the 32X. For the Christmas of 1995 I got the 32X with Doom, Virtua Racer, and Star Wars Arcade! I thought it was great.

Of course, after just a year or two later I was selling all that stuff to make room for my new Playstation collection.

Fortunately, in the late 90's when I began collecting, I was able to reconstitute the entire 32X library for very cheap. I believe I got a brand new 32X in box for $15.

Since I haven't priced that system in a while, I'm a little hesitate to recommend it. I would make sure the carts you want for it are attainable first.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » February 16th, 2021, 5:38 pm

Question, is there a Genesis Flash Cart that can run/emulate 32X ROMs? I heard one exists that can run Sega CD ISOs without a SCD attachment.

Return to “Reader Reviews”