SNES Review

The readers post their own reviews.
MSR1701

Re: SNES Review

Postby MSR1701 » July 9th, 2021, 11:17 am

Interesting thread.

There's an old GameFAQs review I wrote back in the early-mid 2000s on the Game Gear Sonic 2, and even ten years ago rereading that review made me cringe at my work...

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » July 18th, 2021, 10:18 am

Genesis!

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » July 18th, 2021, 10:27 am

In my heart of hearts, I consider the SNES to be the greatest console of all-time, and I'm not just saying that. The gameplay feel of it is 2nd to none, it was innovative in a lot of ways, and the games are memorable you'd spend hours by yourself, with friends, or even family, making it a member of the family as well. It was so much more than a console. I'm grateful to have played it back then and play it now. I'm getting rid of my old model, but I still have my SNES Classic edition

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » July 18th, 2021, 10:33 am

The best console of that era? Game boy. ;-)

Growing up I liked both the Genesis n SNES, though I didn't own a Genesis until around 2000 or so (though a neighbor and lots of friends had them).

I got a SNES in the mid-90s and had a blast with it, and over the years there were games I found on both were awesome, some better on one system than the other, and others that were unique to the given system.

In the end, gamers won, as the intense marketing rivalry between Nintendo n Sega resulted in a LOT of timeless gems...

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » July 18th, 2021, 1:22 pm

I absolutely loved my SNES. In 1994 my girlfriend and I (now my wife) were living in Tokyo, Japan, in a 100 square foot apt, and my SNES was my salvation. I had an adapter that allowed me to play Japan games (it was a US system) and my wife, who studied Japanese for 3+ years, would translate the Katakana and Hiragana for me. We had the SNES and some VHS tapes with American TV shows (Star Trek TNG baby!) so we were set!

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » July 18th, 2021, 2:47 pm

MSR1701 wrote:The best console of that era? Game boy.

You know, the older I get, the more I tend to agree with this sentiment. While I'm happy for everyone that got to grow up in a stable environment where a TV & game console combo was always at the ready, for those of us who moved around a lot, or had to stay with older relatives for an extended period, the Game Boy was a real lifeline.

That, and for situations like this one -

Gleebergloben123 wrote:...in a 100 square foot apt...

My first apartment was a "studio" inside a Victorian house from the 1800s. It was tiny. It was drafty. It had ants, mice, and rats. Most of the wall outlets didn't work. Buuuuuut my Game Boy Pocket worked just fine! I didn't have a TV for the longest time, and spent most of my time at work or in the art studios on campus, so long, dedicated hours of gaming in front of the TV just weren't in the cards. But man, that Game Boy could go anywhere, and take it everywhere, I did.

I'm happy for those that have fond memories of the Super NES. Really. Myself, I could take or leave it, as it wasn't really a major part of my life or childhood. My neighbors at one point had a Genesis, and I do have fond memories of it. As an adult who now owns both consoles, I greatly prefer the Genesis for what I view is a greater library of pick-up-and-play games. My wife, however, holds dear to her Super NES. We play Mario Paint on a regular basis, and always have a good time.

Personally, I wouldn't call either 16-bit console the "best" or "greatest" ever, but for those that feel that way, well, more power to you :D

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » July 18th, 2021, 3:40 pm

Matchstick wrote:
MSR1701 wrote:The best console of that era? Game boy.

You know, the older I get, the more I tend to agree with this sentiment. While I'm happy for everyone that got to grow up in a stable environment where a TV & game console combo was always at the ready, for those of us who moved around a lot, or had to stay with older relatives for an extended period, the Game Boy was a real lifeline.

That, and for situations like this one -

Gleebergloben123 wrote:...in a 100 square foot apt...

My first apartment was a "studio" inside a Victorian house from the 1800s. It was tiny. It was drafty. It had ants, mice, and rats. Most of the wall outlets didn't work. Buuuuuut my Game Boy Pocket worked just fine! I didn't have a TV for the longest time, and spent most of my time at work or in the art studios on campus, so long, dedicated hours of gaming in front of the TV just weren't in the cards. But man, that Game Boy could go anywhere, and take it everywhere, I did.

I'm happy for those that have fond memories of the Super NES. Really. Myself, I could take or leave it, as it wasn't really a major part of my life or childhood. My neighbors at one point had a Genesis, and I do have fond memories of it. As an adult who now owns both consoles, I greatly prefer the Genesis for what I view is a greater library of pick-up-and-play games. My wife, however, holds dear to her Super NES. We play Mario Paint on a regular basis, and always have a good time.

Personally, I wouldn't call either 16-bit console the "best" or "greatest" ever, but for those that feel that way, well, more power to you :D

Totally get where you’re coming from. For you it seems like the GameBoy was the “it” system. It sometimes boils down to not what’s the best system, but the experience(s) you had with it. When I think of the SNES I immediately think of my time in Tokyo, getting married, and my wife and I playing it as newlyweds.

Kinda like having dinner at an amazingly fantastic memorable restaurant, it’s not so much the food but the sights and sounds around you at the time that make it special. The SNES, along with the INTV and the CV (yeah I’m a geezer) all bring back memories and the experience. I doubt I’m making sense so I’ll stop here.

Hagane

Postby Hagane » July 18th, 2021, 3:56 pm

Best console of all time, so many great games, Capcom Konami, Rare, Square... all focusing their best efforts on SNES at the time, Nintendo itself also releasing lots of classic games, I mean, FF6, Zelda, Donkey Kong 2, Super Metroid, Mega Man X..., unbeatable at the time. Mode 7 was the icing on the cake, the zoom/rotation capabilities still blows my mind.

Also it didn't need stupid add ons, smart move having special chips inside the cart for games with special effects, more affordable for the consumer. The SNES pad with diamond shapped four face buttons plus shoulder button, genious, but the best thing about the pad imo was the Y+B configuration, your thumb you can easily access both buttons, the "shoot/run + jump" configuration becomes an extension of your arm, I mean, on Genesis Earthworm Jim A shoot and C jump, wtf?, just to show, I love Sega Genesis but the SNES is something else, just better overall.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » July 18th, 2021, 4:08 pm

Gleebergloben123 wrote:It sometimes boils down to not what’s the best system, but the experience(s) you had with it.

Agreed, 100%. I posted at length about this over on the "Why Do You Play Videogames?" thread. Every time I play a classic game or system from my youth, I am transported, and am able to re-live my happy memories from yesteryear right alongside the new experiences from today. It's quite the trip!

It's natural to develop an emotional attachment to such things, especially if they played an important role during your formative years. One of my favorite childhood titles was The Empire Strikes Back for the 2600. Still one of my favorites. My nephew's favorite game from his childhood is Minecraft. He'll probably always love it. I've never played Minecraft, and he's never played ESB, but our attachment to our chosen games and experiences are very similar. Time and place play such a role in these sorts of things.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » July 18th, 2021, 7:24 pm

What's funny is that the SNES isn't even my favorite console anymore. Definitely still top 5 for sure, but I actually pick the GameCube as my favorite nowadays.

Return to “Reader Reviews”