2018/10/20: Playstation: MediEvil, Dracula: The Last Sanctuary

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2018/10/20: Playstation: MediEvil, Dracula: The Last Sanctuary

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 20th, 2018, 10:40 pm

This pair of reviews may give me a case of deja-vu, since I just reviewed Dracula: The Resurrection and Medievil 2 just a little while back. Please feel free to critique my reviews - I don't get much feedback nowadays but I'm sure there's room for improvement.

Retro STrife

Re: 2018/10/20: Playstation: MediEvil, Dracula: The Last Sanctuary

Postby Retro STrife » October 23rd, 2018, 12:47 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:This pair of reviews may give me a case of deja-vu, since I just reviewed Dracula: The Resurrection and Medievil 2 just a little while back. Please feel free to critique my reviews - I don't get much feedback nowadays but I'm sure there's room for improvement.

You're a pro at writing these by now, so there's usually not much feedback to give on improvement. I think both of these were good reads.

On the games, I've never heard of Last Sanctuary, but just from the screenshot I can tell how frustrating the darkness must be.

I think your Medievil review is spot on, even though I'm personally not that big a fan of the game. Medievil was really hyped by Sony's marketing teams in 1998.. That was around the time I got my PS1 and really got interested in gaming, so I was checking out all the games that were coming out, and Medievil was a big one Sony was trying to push. Nothing about it really interested me though, and I tried a demo and didn't really care enough to play more. Flash forward to present and it's still considered a good game, so I finally bought a copy a few years ago. I liked it a lot more now, but, still, could only stay interested for a few levels. It was like a C range game for me, based on the levels I played. That said, maybe I'll pull it out for Halloween and go further into it.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 23rd, 2018, 7:47 pm

So either I'm so good I'm beyond reproach or people just aren't reading any more! *sigh*

Luigi & Peach

Postby Luigi & Peach » October 23rd, 2018, 8:45 pm

Personally I haven't played either of these so I don't have anything to add other than games that are too dark drive me crazy. I recently had this problem when trying to replay Silent Hill 3.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » October 24th, 2018, 11:53 am

I gave Medievil a play again last night, inspired by your review. I played two levels, still early in the game -- Hilltop Mausoleum and Return to the Graveyard. I probably played for about 40 minutes total. I'm still not feeling this game. The combat is clumsy and the camera is unmanageable. There are controls to spin the camera, but oftentimes you're not allowed to use them when you need them most. The "Dan Cam" (1st person view) was helpful in a couple instances, but even that isn't allowed sometimes. Also, while the difficulty is fair, I hate the old-school punishment of having to restart a level when you die. For example, I did well throughout the Return to Graveyard level for the first 15 minutes, only to get clobbered by the end boss and having to restart at the beginning..that's when I gave up. I'm a fan of the game's look and it has a humorous personality about it that I like, but I don't see much in the gameplay department that'll bring me back to it or motivate me to keep playing. At best, maybe I'd pop it in for level or two at Halloween some years. It is nice to have a game to play around Halloween that isn't in the survival horror genre.

EDIT: Then again, I was just googling some of the levels that come next..they look interesting and it's got me thinking that maybe I will play it again to try getting a couple levels further.

Verm3

Postby Verm3 » October 25th, 2018, 8:07 am

Random thought; maybe the critic could do a special on the launch PS1 games?

Breaker

Postby Breaker » October 28th, 2018, 2:13 am

Verm3 wrote:Random thought; maybe the critic could do a special on the launch PS1 games?

This would be pretty cool, especially if it expanded to all consoles and was linked directly from the console review page. It would be neat to see what games were release games for each system along with the relative strength or weakness of the launch class.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 28th, 2018, 10:27 am

This launch special idea is pretty good! But do I even have all the games that launched with the PS1? Got a list?

goldenband

Postby goldenband » October 28th, 2018, 10:43 am

Supposedly this is it:

PlayStation
Japanese launch: December 3, 1994
A. IV Evolution
Crime Crackers
Gokujō Parodius Da! Deluxe Pack
Mahjong Goku Sky: Atsushi
Mahjong Station Mazin
Nekketsu Oyako
Ridge Racer
TAMA

U.S. launch: September 9, 1995
Battle Arena Toshinden
ESPN Extreme Games
Kileak: The DNA Imperative
NBA Jam Tournament Edition
Power Serve 3D Tennis
The Raiden Project
Rayman
Ridge Racer
Street Fighter: The Movie
Total Eclipse Turbo

European launch: September 29, 1995
3D Lemmings
Battle Arena Toshinden
Jumping Flash!
Kileak: The Blood
Novastorm
Rapid Reload
Ridge Racer
Wipeout

I think this list used to be at Wikipedia but got wiped out in one of their deletion sprees. If you Google "List of video game console launch games" there's a site that has a long list of launch titles for all systems, which is probably archived from Wiki.

Getting all the US launch titles for each system reviewed would be a nifty project! For many of them, you've got that done already.

In the case of the PlayStation, you've got the majority done. Kileak is a decent though barebones mech FPS that I enjoyed, though I'm solidly in the minority in that. Power Serve 3D Tennis may be the worst tennis game I've ever played. Total Eclipse Turbo adds a save feature and a few other things to the 3DO game; it seems to be considered an upgrade by most sources.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » October 28th, 2018, 10:48 am

Yep, the Wikipedia people decided in their infinite brilliance that the site had no need for a list of console launch titles:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... unch_games

Gotta love those Wikipedia editors who think that, by subtracting information from the world, they're somehow doing something worthwhile! Hand a little man a little power, and watch him become even littler [sic]...

Return to “Review Feedback”