2018/12/5: Colecovision: Time Pilot, Q*bert's Qubes

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2018/12/5: Colecovision: Time Pilot, Q*bert's Qubes

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 5th, 2018, 10:01 am

Here's a new pair of Colecovision reviews. Time Pilot is an update, with a little more meat than the previous 2004 version. I also bumped up the grade from C- to C. Q*bert's Qubes is a brand new review. Thoughts?

scotland

Re: 2018/12/5: Colecovision: Time Pilot, Q*bert's Qubes

Postby scotland » December 5th, 2018, 10:44 am

The Time Pilot review gives a good sense of it being fun, but the fun being limited. A solid enough game you probably would not have kicked yourself for buying back then.

I've never played Q*berts Cubes - but its odd that you have the Colecovision version as an F and the Atari version a C (which has far worse graphics, but I know we're not directly comparing) and said that the game wasn't half bad once you get the hang of it. I wonder if you shouldn't re-review the Atari Version now with the Colecoversion still fresh on your mind. Also, the Atari version has the puzzle icon, which would then apply to the Colecovision version too.

It may be a good time to re-review Atari Video Cube as well. You did that back in 2002.

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » December 6th, 2018, 8:24 am

Back in the day I bought Time Pilot for my brother, I remember it costing £27 about 50 bucks back then. It was very expensive but hey it was my bro so it was worth it. I got to play it also and loved it. Sure it did not have the 2020 part like a lot of Coleco games they missed out loads of levels but still it was genuinely like the impossible arcade game so I was I was happy.

When I did get to play the game it was superb. Back in the day it was just like having the arcade game in your front room. A plus in its day.

About 10 years back I had a coleco. Superb system. I bought loads of games for it and then it broke. Before it broke I got to play TP again and well time had not been kind to it. Scrolling was shoddy. Plus the colour palette was so limited. Also what no 2020 stage? Though that aside it was still a good fun game. I reckon a c plus 20 years later.

As such your review is right on the money on this one.

crimefighter

Postby crimefighter » December 7th, 2018, 7:53 pm

Ahem - the only reason why you gave Qbert Qubes an F is that you could not get the hang of the mechanics. It's certainly challenging all right, but learnable. Granted you have to suffer with the Coleco controllers, but with a better controller it's certainly not an F game. And my experience has been with the arcade version.

crimefighter

Postby crimefighter » December 8th, 2018, 12:34 am

scotland wrote:The Time Pilot review gives a good sense of it being fun, but the fun being limited. A solid enough game you probably would not have kicked yourself for buying back then.

I've never played Q*berts Cubes - but its odd that you have the Colecovision version as an F and the Atari version a C (which has far worse graphics, but I know we're not directly comparing) and said that the game wasn't half bad once you get the hang of it. I wonder if you shouldn't re-review the Atari Version now with the Colecoversion still fresh on your mind. Also, the Atari version has the puzzle icon, which would then apply to the Colecovision version too.

It may be a good time to re-review Atari Video Cube as well. You did that back in 2002.

He probably gave the Atari version a better grade cause you only needed four instead of five in a row...

Return to “Review Feedback”