2021/9/25: Genesis: Spider-Man/Venom: Maximum Carnage, Venom/Spider-Man: Separation Anxiety

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2021/9/25: Genesis: Spider-Man/Venom: Maximum Carnage, Venom/Spider-Man: Separation Anxiety

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 25th, 2021, 12:42 pm

I reviewed these games for the SNES a few weeks back. These Genesis versions are close, but slightly inferior.
The control might actually be better in these, but the audio is inferior.

I believe these will be my last Spider-Man reviews until my Spider-Man special, scheduled for November.

Ransom

Re: 2021/9/25: Genesis: Spider-Man/Venom: Maximum Carnage, Venom/Spider-Man: Separation Anxiety

Postby Ransom » September 27th, 2021, 5:22 pm

Solid reviews! I also like this series better on SNES. But in your review of Maximum Carnage you call Morbius the Living Vampire a villain and he's a hero in this storyline! He's on the docket to get his own MCU movie in the next few years. Keep the good stuff coming!

Matchstick

Re: 2021/9/25: Genesis: Spider-Man/Venom: Maximum Carnage, Venom/Spider-Man: Separation Anxiety

Postby Matchstick » September 28th, 2021, 8:11 pm

I might be in the minority here, but I definitely prefer these games on the Genesis. Well, Maximum Carnage, at least. I don’t really care for either version of Separation Anxiety all that much.

I do agree with the insight that the controls are better in the Sega version, especially when using the six-button pad. I believe webs are assigned to the Y button, and I had no problem swinging around and lassoing bad guys. Very responsive.

I also like that this is one of the few Spidey games where your webs are truly unlimited, with no sort of fluid meter to manage.

Lastly, I loooooove the way the music sounds coming out of the Genesis sound board. The harsher, twangy sound goes so well with the punk rock tunes. I’ve always thought the SNES version sounds a little thumpy and muffled in comparison.

All in all, good reviews comparing the titles on the two systems. Genesis definitely gets my vote, but I don’t mind the Super NES version getting the edge in most people’s minds. Seems like that’s usually the case when the two systems are compared, anyway :roll:

Return to “Review Feedback”