2021/10/24: Xbox 360: 007: Blood Stone

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2021/10/24: Xbox 360: 007: Blood Stone

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 24th, 2021, 11:12 am

This was a missing piece to my new James Bond review special.
I'm glad I tracked it down. This is one of the most fun 007 games out there.

Thoughts?

ThePixelatedGenocide

Re: 2021/10/24: Xbox 360: 007: Blood Stone

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » October 24th, 2021, 12:04 pm

The last game made by the studio that brought us Wiz and Liz, Project Gotham Racing, and Geometry Wars.

They really deserved better, but this game was compared to both the most expensive AAA games and actual James Bond movies. It never stood a chance...

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » October 24th, 2021, 2:43 pm

Having played through Everything or Nothing with a buddy of mine - and being a big fan of the couch co-op missions in the game - we were both pretty pumped when we heard about Blood Stone, looking forward to it as sort of "completing the trilogy" of third-person Bond games. I know that From Russia With Love is in that mix, but I never spent much time with that one.

You're right when you say that Bloodstone didn't get much fanfare leading up to its release, but I blame Activision for that one, as it came out exactly the same day as the Wii remake of GoldenEye. The hype for that Wii game was off the charts, and it got tons of hype online, in magazines, and in store displays. Blood Stone... not so much.

The thing is, I had **zero** interest in the GoldenEye remake, and to this day have still never played it. I just don't care. But me and my buddy were so excited about the multiplayer modes in Blood Stone. Surely it would have co-op missions like Everything or Nothing, right? Wrong. If memory serves, every multiplayer mode was some sort of deathmatch or capture the flag sort of deal. LAAAAAAAAAAAAAME.

As we lived three time zones away from each other at that time, we were only really looking to get the game for its co-op multiplayer options. No dice.

With that out of the way, I couldn't really bring myself to spend $60 on a game I was already on the fence about, so I decided to rent it. Thankfully, Blockbuster was still around back then! It made for a good rental - it was short, it was easy, and it felt like a movie, with lots of action, explosions, and quick pacing. I did really like the driving / boating missions - at least, when I wasn't forced to restart due to crashing or taking a wrong turn. I wish the driving parts had been more forgiving, or allowed for more exploration.

Honestly, that's how I pretty much felt about the game, in general. The first time through, it makes for a great experience. But attempting to replay some of the missions shows its flaws. You're really only allowed to play each mission one certain way. Not to mention the fact that I don't think there were any sort of unlockables or cheats. No extra multiplayer modes or characters. No "Paintball Mode" or anything else of the sort.

Really, this is what made the game feel more like a movie than a game - but not in a good way.

In saying that, I think games like this have aged pretty well. There's nothing wrong with a short, easy game that just lets you jump right in and start kicking butt. For an older, cheap, used game that you can pick up on a whim, Blood Stone is a great title. But if you're expecting something more than that, or something that'll keep you coming back after you've finished it, eh...

crimefighter

Postby crimefighter » October 24th, 2021, 4:03 pm

Games left to add -- James Bond 007 for the Game Boy, and James Bond Jr. for the NES.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » October 24th, 2021, 7:46 pm

crimefighter wrote:Games left to add -- James Bond 007 for the Game Boy, and James Bond Jr. for the NES.

James Bond Jr. is on the SNES, too, so there are options on that one.

Unless I missed it, 007 Racing on the PS1 could be added as well.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » October 24th, 2021, 8:12 pm

crimefighter wrote:Games left to add -- James Bond 007 for the Game Boy, and James Bond Jr. for the NES.

Golden Eye reloaded for the DS. Local MP .. 2 DS 1 cart. I gubbed my friend at it whilst we were in the pub. Fab fun. Much better than the DS game which was average. It is around somewhere, has not been played in years.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » October 24th, 2021, 8:13 pm

Fab review of a great game. I loved it. One player to the max. I never played the MP. TBH I rarely play it anyway.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » October 24th, 2021, 10:42 pm

Besides all the games everyone else caught and the 3 DS games the critic's looking at now, there's the GBC's The World is not Enough.

It features some of the worst platform stages ever made. It's also the worst Bond game ever made, by a considerable distance.

At least on consoles.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » October 25th, 2021, 12:01 am

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:... GBC's The World is not Enough.

It features some of the worst platform stages ever made. It's also the worst Bond game ever made, by a considerable distance.

At least on consoles.

I have this game, but have never played it. This is the type of review that will get me to dig that game out quick!

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » October 25th, 2021, 11:27 am

Breaker wrote:
ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:... GBC's The World is not Enough.

At least on consoles.

I have this game, but have never played it. This is the type of review that will get me to dig that game out quick!

Good luck!

There's a lot of terrible overhead stages to make it through before you reach the terrible platforming.

Return to “Review Feedback”