2022/1/23: Nintendo 64: Madden Football 64

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Matchstick

Re: 2022/1/23: Nintendo 64: Madden Football 64

Postby Matchstick » January 24th, 2022, 3:20 pm

Bravo, Critic. I've mentioned this one on the boards a few times over the years, and have been low-key hoping for a review for some time now. Nice to know you enjoyed it. I have similar feelings - it's a good, solid football game, but like many others from the era, the running game is practically worthless unless you go for toss or sweep plays.

Still, I think this one nails the atmosphere, from the pervasive crowd noise to the subtle weather effects. As a Bears fan, I love to play day games in the snow, and the lighting and snowflake effects feel very, very accurate for the time. It's also one of the few games to let you play in a 3D rendition of the old Soldier Field. Play a daytime snow game against the Eagles, and it's practically like playing in the Fog Bowl! Nice 8-)

djc wrote:I *believe* Madden 64 came out in '97.

Indeed. Essentially, this game is "Madden '98" in all but name. Even the Saturn and PS1 versions feature the same intro song and menu music. Although, for whatever reason, this N64 version lacks the NFL license, so all teams have generic uniforms are referred to by their home cities instead of the actual team names - just like the oldest batch of Genesis games. I've always enjoyed seeing the Patriots referred to as Foxboro, myself.

Funny thing is, I never really kept up with the series after this year. Madden '99, even with all its improvements, just didn't draw me in. I see that one as the turning point, where the game became a bit more "sophisticated" and started going all-in on new features and play modes. Me, I like simple, pick-up-and-play football games that aren't *too* realistic, where I can just play a single game and be done with it. Madden 64 definitely scratches that itch.

Alongside Tecmo Super Bowl and the first NFL Blitz, it's one of my absolute football go-to games. And if I want to go classic, I pull out Madden '92 and '93. I could never decide which one I liked more between the two, so I've kept them both after all these years. Oh, don't make me choose...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 24th, 2022, 8:14 pm

I think you guys are right that the storage limitations probably limited the number of "Maddenisms" they could squeeze in. Funny, I didn't even notice the lack of team names.

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » January 25th, 2022, 1:58 pm

Matchstick wrote: Indeed. Essentially, this game is "Madden '98" in all but name. Even the Saturn and PS1 versions feature the same intro song and menu music.

That makes me really interested in trying out Madden on N64. I love the still-2D Madden 97 and 98, especially on Saturn. The 2D Sprites make those games feel like a supercharged 16-bit game, as opposed to an early 3D / ugly 32-bit game.

I realize Madden 64 is all 3D but I've seen the graphics and it looks decent enough on the console. I liked seeing this title reviewed. Although I didn't give Madden 64 the time of day back then, now it appeals to me especially being on cart and not having to deal with the load times the PlayStation had.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » January 25th, 2022, 6:09 pm

Never really played Madden 64. I had Madden 98 on the Genesis, and then got the N64 and went right to Madden 99. It's the last Madden I put any investment of time into. Sophomore year of college, Steelers franchise... wow, 15 seasons of Madden in about 10 weeks. Guess I binged too hard and never went back. Sort of like tequila.

I have played some franchise modes on the NCAA football games... create-a-school kind of thing, probably 2008 or thereabouts. I'll still go back to Madden 95 or so, College Football USA 96, and Blitz every once in a while, but nothing prolonged. Just haven't had the desire to play video game football since it became realistic!

Back on topic - good review, and I'll have to pull this out of the drawer and play a few games.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » January 25th, 2022, 6:51 pm

So is there a football or Madden special article in the works?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 25th, 2022, 10:53 pm

Not really; I think that might be a bit repetitive. I am interesting in reviewing the remaining Madden N64 games however.

Also, I never reviewed the PS1 Maddens, so that might be an option.

cuda man

Postby cuda man » February 6th, 2022, 5:46 pm

Matchstick wrote:Bravo, Critic. I've mentioned this one on the boards a few times over the years, and have been low-key hoping for a review for some time now. Nice to know you enjoyed it. I have similar feelings - it's a good, solid football game, but like many others from the era, the running game is practically worthless unless you go for toss or sweep plays.

Still, I think this one nails the atmosphere, from the pervasive crowd noise to the subtle weather effects. As a Bears fan, I love to play day games in the snow, and the lighting and snowflake effects feel very, very accurate for the time. It's also one of the few games to let you play in a 3D rendition of the old Soldier Field. Play a daytime snow game against the Eagles, and it's practically like playing in the Fog Bowl! Nice 8-)

djc wrote:I *believe* Madden 64 came out in '97.

Indeed. Essentially, this game is "Madden '98" in all but name. Even the Saturn and PS1 versions feature the same intro song and menu music. Although, for whatever reason, this N64 version lacks the NFL license, so all teams have generic uniforms are referred to by their home cities instead of the actual team names - just like the oldest batch of Genesis games. I've always enjoyed seeing the Patriots referred to as Foxboro, myself.

Funny thing is, I never really kept up with the series after this year. Madden '99, even with all its improvements, just didn't draw me in. I see that one as the turning point, where the game became a bit more "sophisticated" and started going all-in on new features and play modes. Me, I like simple, pick-up-and-play football games that aren't *too* realistic, where I can just play a single game and be done with it. Madden 64 definitely scratches that itch.

Alongside Tecmo Super Bowl and the first NFL Blitz, it's one of my absolute football go-to games. And if I want to go classic, I pull out Madden '92 and '93. I could never decide which one I liked more between the two, so I've kept them both after all these years. Oh, don't make me choose...

I remember Madden 64's release. It pretty much came out of nowhere, and was even release early (as was it's NFL QB Club '98). I preferred Madden to QB Club, though my friends thought otherwise, since they were hooked on that game's graphics and they could easily beat the AI. IMHO Madden 64 plays much better, at least AI players didn't just stand around looking at the ball carrier instead of blocking. Madden 64 is on my top-3 Madden release list!

EA didn't secure the NFL license for Madden's first N64 release because Acclaim secured exclusive rights for N64 games that year, as EA Sports didn't decide to jump into N64 development until about a year into the N64's lifecycle (not counting FIFA 64).

Return to “Review Feedback”