2022/7/2: Super Nintendo: An American Tail: Fievel Goes West, Weaponlord

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2022/7/2: Super Nintendo: An American Tail: Fievel Goes West, Weaponlord

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 2nd, 2022, 10:28 am

Let's get some feedback on my latest SNES reviews for Weaponlord and Fievel Goes West.

An American Tail: Fievel Goes West is a game I really wanted to love. It has a lot of charm. Unfortunately, it's gameplay just isn't happening, and the further you get, the further you realize how mediocre it is. Not bad but not particularly good either. I have not seen the movie, by the way.

Weaponlord is a re-review. The original review (2001) was a C. Time has not been kind! What really triggered me to give this another go was my upcoming review of the Genesis version. Stay tuned...

Zack Burner

Re: 2022/7/2: Super Nintendo: An American Tail: Fievel Goes West, Weaponlord

Postby Zack Burner » July 2nd, 2022, 10:59 am

Time to get a little nostalgic! I haven't played the game but saw the movie many times, it had some big names like Jon Lovitz (the spider), Jimmy Stewart of "It's a Wonderful Life" fame (the dog), and the show stealer John Cleese as the villainous cat.

As for Weaponlord, you're right Critic, it looked good on paper, but in execution doesn't deliver. Do like the design of the fighters though, my favorites were Korr and Jen-Tai.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » July 2nd, 2022, 12:47 pm

Yes, Weaponlord stinks, I was playing this last week on my modded SNES classic. You have a typo in the last paragraph as it should reach "looks good on paper"...it now reads "looks good but paper".

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » July 2nd, 2022, 1:15 pm

Yes Weaponlord makes Primal Rage look like art and play like a dream, in fact currently I'm writing a Primal Rage Fanfic.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » July 2nd, 2022, 4:04 pm

Is it possible to think a review isn't giving a game enough credit and is still completely right, anyways?

SNES WeaponLord is the only game that made question whether I still enjoyed 16-bit games.

Fortunately, it was just a brief moment, but this game's limited animation requires more imagination to enjoy than the entire 2600 library.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » July 3rd, 2022, 8:11 pm

Digging the Fievel review! The movie is one of my favorite kids movies of the 90s- it’s just hilarious. It’s got many legit comedy actors like John Cleese, Dom Deluise, Jon Lovitz, and James Stewart. Highly recommend. I watched it with my daughter a few weeks ago and the jokes still land. It was sold at McDonald’s as a promotional VHS during the 90s, so my parents bought it for us there. As a kid, we didn’t have many VHS tapes, so this one got a lot of airplay growing up.

Anyway, I bought this game from a game store a few years ago, because of the movie. But I don’t think I ever played it. Enjoyed the review though.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » July 3rd, 2022, 10:56 pm

Spot on with Weaponlord! I remember all of the magazines gushing over it, and giving it very high marks. I was so excited, so I rented it the first chance I got, and I was shocked to find this supposedly great game was really just a piece of crap.

If I had the time, and the energy, I would love to comb through some of the old magazines and pick out instances when the reviewers were way off base. I know that Gamepro gave Bubsy insanely high scores while Earthbound received a very mixed review (a 3.5 for Funfactor, I believe). If I remember right, they even gave Terminator 2 for SNES a good review!

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » July 4th, 2022, 4:50 am

Nice write ups. Weaponlord looks like it was too ambitious for the hardware. Either that or they didn't scale back their ambitions appropriately. I loved the background in the screenshot.
I noticed a couple of typos in Weaponlord.

GeoX

Postby GeoX » July 4th, 2022, 5:55 am

newmodelarmy wrote:Yes, Weaponlord stinks, I was playing this last week on my modded SNES classic. You have a typo in the last paragraph as it should reach "looks good on paper"...it now reads "looks good but paper".

One little typo yourself…”as it should read”. Sorry couldn’t help myself! :D

One thing that annoys me is this habit of designers making mice heroes and cats villains! It ain’t right!

travistouchdown

Postby travistouchdown » July 5th, 2022, 12:27 pm

Feivel goes west is an underrated movie, happy to see the game is at least decent, will have to re-watch the movie and give it a try.

Return to “Review Feedback”