2023/2/2: Playstation 5: Sonic Frontiers

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Maks

Re: 2023/2/2: Playstation 5: Sonic Frontiers

Postby Maks » February 3rd, 2023, 2:52 am

Dang, I picked this one up for the Switch during one of the Black Friday sales, it's still sitting in my "to be played pile" but I think it's going to be moved to the bottom after that review.

Miles Prower

Postby Miles Prower » February 3rd, 2023, 7:32 am

CaptainCruch wrote:
Miles Prower wrote:I'm probably going to be in the minority here, but I actually thought that the game was pretty decent. Not extraordinary by any measure, but an overall solid title.

I agree. However I also agree there are way too many items in the game. But I'm kind of disappointed you didn't mention the appearance of Big the Cat and his fishing mini-game in the game! Easier way to get all the items than actually running around on the islands... (if you can find him of course).

I loved the Big the Cat fishing mini-game. It was so relaxing. I'm glad they didn't try to over complicate the controls and instead just made it a calm, tranquil break from the regular action. I could listen to that lo-fi fishing music for hours.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 3rd, 2023, 2:55 pm

djc wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:I think part of that is due to the fact that I'm expecting big things from the Playstation 5, and I haven't seen them yet. This system should be the high-water mark of games, not just ports of PS4 titles.

I don't think you're going to see it anytime soon. As the systems get more powerful, the differences between generations is going to drop and graphical improvements will plateau until developers can learn how to better harness the power of the newer console.

There were huge jumps between 8-bit to 16-bit, 16 to 32 to 64, etc... Now you have the PS4 and PS5 that both run at 4K resolution with similar graphics hardware so there will not be that huge jump in graphics.

Yeah I'm starting to think that with only slight improvements in graphics, the main reason to buy a new console in the future will just to be to "play the latest games" since they won't be supported on older platforms.

jackj5000

Postby jackj5000 » February 3rd, 2023, 5:45 pm

idk I enjoyed it, played it all the way through

crimefighter

Postby crimefighter » February 3rd, 2023, 9:18 pm

Would it be a stretch to say this was a port of someone's fan game of Sonic made with Unreal Engine?

Tron

Postby Tron » February 3rd, 2023, 9:58 pm

If Sonic were a child in the US cps would’ve legally kidnapped him from Sega.

astrodomekid

Postby astrodomekid » February 4th, 2023, 12:18 pm

OK, this is weird to me because a lot of people (including Sonic fans) have been praising this as one of the best Sonic games to date and a step in the right direction. Sure there are some others who dislike the game, but overall a lot of people actually really like it. I myself haven't played the game yet, but I have bought it and it's already installed on my PS5. So who knows, I might actually get some enjoyment out of it. It may not be a “traditional” Sonic game, but I for one appreciate doing something fresh and different, and the fact that this actually got higher review scores than other 3D Sonic games of recent memory is definitely something to be admired.

Also, the game's director has confirmed that the next Sonic game is already in the works.
Last edited by astrodomekid on February 4th, 2023, 1:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » February 4th, 2023, 12:28 pm

Ps5 must be a duff consoles. All your reviews do not seem to pick out any classics.

Joking of course. I played it and liked the console. The least Sonic I liked was Sonic Generations. Very good. I had sonic on 360 and that game was AWFUL. So I keep away from them. The 3d ones that is.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 4th, 2023, 12:42 pm

I can see how opinions could be split on this one. As I said in my review, it looks amazing. You'll tall structures you can climb, as well as rail in the sky you can actually reach. The game provides both "sandbox" and "rails" action.

The problem is, neither style of play convey a sense of infectious fun that defined the series. The cut-scenes are extremely boring and unnecessary. The boss encounters are way too serious, and there's a melancholy feeling that pervades the entire game.

I expect a Sonic game to be light and fun, not heavy and serious. That's why I called it tone-deaf.

Of course, a D- from me is like a B- from most other sites.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » February 4th, 2023, 9:32 pm

Maaaaan, I took the heat off your God of War review with my Elden Ring review, and you decide to go and provoke the Sonic fans? You must be into self-torture or something.

Return to “Review Feedback”