2013/2/5: Atari 2600: Beany Bopper, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, Mountain King

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 7th, 2013, 6:08 pm

Glad to hear I nailed that one!  I really wanted to take my time and get it right, considering it's such a high profile title in video game history.

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » February 7th, 2013, 6:15 pm

I was surprised to see that E.T. got the E.T. award for extreme disappointment.  

Mountain King was one of the first games I played as a kid.  I was 5 playing it on my family's Atari Home Computer.  I really liked the atmosphere in the game.  Like the Critic mentioned, it was an incredibly original concept at the time.  I remember wiggling the controller back and forth ferociously to get out of the web on the bottom level before the spider came back to eat me!  But, yeah.  It's an extremely flawed game.  I enjoy it through the lens of nostalgia.... but a "D" is more than fair.

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » February 7th, 2013, 9:54 pm

A fair review of E.T., but I think you were too hard on Mountain King.  Yes, the controls are awkward, but I still find it unique, challenging, and fun despite some frustration.  I love the music and how it's used in the game - very innovative.  For me that alone bumps it up a letter grade.  I would give it a 'C' at worst. 

Irenicus1

Postby Irenicus1 » February 7th, 2013, 10:01 pm

E.T. was the best movie license of all time?

Even you wouldn't agree with yourself on that one.

Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Rocky & more more more.

Nice review though of E.T. Really good job.

Paul1231

Postby Paul1231 » February 8th, 2013, 12:36 am

"... and an FBI agent who wants to steal your junk."

If I had a nickel for every game I have played where a federal investigator tries to confiscate my penis...

Mario5001

Postby Mario5001 » February 8th, 2013, 4:37 pm

Video Game Critic, what did you mean by the word "junk" in your review of the E. T. game?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 8th, 2013, 10:55 pm

I meant it as a slang for "items", but it may also have been a subliminal message to the government that they need to keep their hands out of our pants!

LS650

Re: 2013/2/5: Atari 2600: Beany Bopper, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, Mountain King

Postby LS650 » December 8th, 2023, 10:59 am

Ikaris1 wrote:In my opinion you've been too harsh on Beany Bopper... I like it indeed.

I know this review is 10 years old... but I recently acquired Beany Bopper and was playing it last night for about 40 minutes.
I really liked it as just a simple, perhaps mindless shooter, so I came here to see how it was rated, and was a little surprised to see the low rating.
Ah well, different strokes for different videogame players, I guess.

bigfriendly

Re: 2013/2/5: Atari 2600: Beany Bopper, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, Mountain King

Postby bigfriendly » December 9th, 2023, 4:44 pm

I ended up aquiring a loose copy of Beany Bopper back in the early to mid 2000s. I had a free want ad looking for old video games and systems in a local publication called the Bulletin Board that I called in weekly. I got a call from a guy who said he had an Atari 2600 with some games he would sell for $20. Remember this was back when you could still gets lots of Atari and NES stuff for really cheap. So I got his address and went to his house and it was in a very old and run down part of town. I walked up onto the porch knocked on his door and out came a very rough looking thin man with a ragged beard carrying a battered cardboard box. His women came out behind him and her grill was terribly stained and she was missing a few teeth. Anyway he handed me the box and I sat it on a chair on the porch and started sifting through it and immidiately saw a couple small roaches scrambling for cover. It was covered in dust and it was gross. After looking at it I still wanted it but I wasn't going to pay $20 for it. I told them no thanks because of how dirty it was and that it obviusly hadn't been tested in years. I handed him the box back and started walking back to my car. As I walked away I could hear her whispering to him and when I was about to open the car door she blurted out "will you take $10!?" I told them I would give them $5 because it looked so terrible and again that it wasn't even tested. They took the $5 and I ended up with the 4 switcher 2 joysticks a set of paddles and 10 games. One of them just happened to be Beany Bopper. I had some trash bags in my car for this very reason and I placed everything into a bag and sealed it up as tightly as I could and Ieft the gross box on the curb. Actually cleaning up these old systems and carts was half of the fun to me but in this case I had to fumigate everything before I could even consider bringing it into the house. It was fun chasing down this old stuff back in those days:)

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » December 12th, 2023, 2:10 pm

bigfriendly wrote:I ended up aquiring a loose copy of Beany Bopper back in the early to mid 2000s. I had a free want ad looking for old video games and systems in a local publication called the Bulletin Board that I called in weekly. I got a call from a guy who said he had an Atari 2600 with some games he would sell for $20. Remember this was back when you could still gets lots of Atari and NES stuff for really cheap. So I got his address and went to his house and it was in a very old and run down part of town. I walked up onto the porch knocked on his door and out came a very rough looking thin man with a ragged beard carrying a battered cardboard box. His women came out behind him and her grill was terribly stained and she was missing a few teeth. Anyway he handed me the box and I sat it on a chair on the porch and started sifting through it and immidiately saw a couple small roaches scrambling for cover. It was covered in dust and it was gross. After looking at it I still wanted it but I wasn't going to pay $20 for it. I told them no thanks because of how dirty it was and that it obviusly hadn't been tested in years. I handed him the box back and started walking back to my car. As I walked away I could hear her whispering to him and when I was about to open the car door she blurted out "will you take $10!?" I told them I would give them $5 because it looked so terrible and again that it wasn't even tested. They took the $5 and I ended up with the 4 switcher 2 joysticks a set of paddles and 10 games. One of them just happened to be Beany Bopper. I had some trash bags in my car for this very reason and I placed everything into a bag and sealed it up as tightly as I could and Ieft the gross box on the curb. Actually cleaning up these old systems and carts was half of the fun to me but in this case I had to fumigate everything before I could even consider bringing it into the house. It was fun chasing down this old stuff back in those days:)

that's too bad it sounds like they could have really used the $20

Return to “Review Feedback”