2024/6/15: Commodore 64: Bop'N Wrestle

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2024/6/15: Commodore 64: Bop'N Wrestle

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 15th, 2024, 1:40 pm

Did you miss the C64 Critic? Well he's back with a brand new review!

I definitely can relate to his memories of watching wrestling on Saturday afternoon. Ric Flair... Andre the Giant... the Samoan Brothers... Hulk Hogan when he was still a bad guy... Good times!

Thoughts?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: 2024/6/15: Commodore 64: Bop'N Wrestle

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 15th, 2024, 1:44 pm

In case you're interested, this is the original unabridged version of his review.

Bop ‘N Wrestle (Mindscape, 1986): C+
A cool, cloudy Spring Sunday was the perfect day to take this game for an airplane-spin, so to speak.
When I was a kid in high school, I couldn’t wait to watch the latest WWF show on Sunday afternoon at
4:00, on – of course – grainy, blurry, UHF channel 45. Shout out to Piper’s Pit! Bop ‘N Wrestle takes you
out of trying to enjoy pro wrestling via crappy reception and thrusts you into the “squared circle” as one
of the participants. It’s been quite some time since I paid much attention to pro wrestling, probably not
since the WWF transformed into the WWE, but I remember the outrageous characters and moves like it
was yesterday. This game allows you to perform, if you’re agile enough with the joystick, up to 19
different wrasslin’ moves although to be honest I generally stuck with the same 3 or 4 tried-and-true
moves for all of my matches.
The game I have is *almost* complete; I have the original box (record album style cardboard sleeve), a
registration card, a Mindscape catalog of products, an advertisement to order a personalized book for
your child, even the original receipt from Toys R’ Us! Apparently whoever purchased this game
originally bought it on June 30, 1987 for a total of $26.22 (he paid with $27 in cash). The one thing I
don’t have is the bloody instruction manual, and it was clear pretty early on that I was really going to
need that. An internet search later and I finally knew to an extent what I should be doing, but it didn’t
help a whole lot.
The point of Bop ‘N Wrestle is to fight your way up the ranks through increasingly more difficult
opponents until you take on the ultimate baddie for the Championship. The game has you start your
first match against what is clearly a Hillbilly Jim rip-off, a country bumpkin in denim coveralls and a hat.
Don’t let his look fool you though, this clown pinned me within the first 10 seconds of the match my first
3 games! The controls of the game are, to say the least, not super intuitive, so even with the
instructions it took some time before I was even remotely proficient with my moves. With a little
practice, I was finally able to beat Redneck McCoy on a pretty consistent basis, earning my second
matchup against Molotov Mike. Many MANY matches later, I finally pinned him once and went to take
on the Iron Sheik… err, Angry Abdul. That’s as deep as I got. My standard approach would be to try and
grab my opponent and either give him a suplex or airplane spin, kick him in the junk a bunch of times,
slam him down again, and go for the pin. I found that if my opponent ever did the same to ME (throw
me, slam me, pretty much anything) and went for the pin, I was done for. I could never seem to get up
off the mat with any regularity, and I don’t think I ever kicked out from a pin.
The game also supports a 2-player mode, which I would imagine is LOADS more fun, as I can see myself
sitting on the couch talking total trash to any one of my friends as we pummel each other into
submission in the ring. I rather enjoyed playing 2-player games without a second person so that I could
practice all my moves and basically just pummel the ever living daylights out of my unmoving opponent.
Very cathartic!
The sound effects are pretty dreadful to be honest, they sound like digitized yells and counts but like
they were recorded using a Radio Shack cassette recorder held up to a bad TV speaker. The music,
which only contains two tracks, is great though. Very upbeat and entertaining, goes great with the
game and at no point was I tempted to turn it down despite it being a pretty shallow loop. You can
listen to them here and here. The graphics are pretty good and it’s obvious that most wrestlers in the
game are modeled after then-current popular wrestlers so it’s easy to imagine you’re taking on your
favorite villans. The Controls are tough to say the least and definitely take some practice to get used to.

I suspect I’ll play some more 2-player matches without a 2 nd player and maybe see if I can get beyond
Abdul going forward, but I need to give my wrists and forearm a bit of a break first!
Pairs well with: Spiked Coffee (medium roast coffee with 1 ounce Smokey Maple bourbon, ½ ounce
Brown Sugar bourbon, and ½ ounce Licor 43).
IMAGE: https://cdn.mobygames.com/screenshots/2 ... suplex.png
Suggested ICONS: Head to Head, Manly

Teddybear

Postby Teddybear » June 15th, 2024, 2:42 pm

Heck YEAH!!!! This was the game back in the day! My first honest and actual C-64 software purchase from Toys R Us as well.

Excellent and 100% accurate review. Like you mentioned there is real value in practicing and learning the moves on the Hillbilly. Once proficient, it is awesome to be able to pile drive or the ultimate.....do a Superfly Snuka leap off the top rope. With the later opponents you gotta grab 'em first and control the narrative. Otherwise, as you stated.....there is no kicking out of a pin.

Later opponents include a masked guy (The Masked Superstar?) an Indian (Chief Jay Strongbow?) and the grand finale of Lord Toff (not really sure what actual wrestler he was supposed to be so I just considered him as Harley Race). Above all, YOUR guy is clearly supposed to be Ric Flair........Woooooooooooooo!

This review truly made my day! Thank you!

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » June 15th, 2024, 4:57 pm

Fun review.

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » June 15th, 2024, 6:46 pm

unfortunately i had the Atari 800 version back in the day and man were the controls bad and very sluggish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEmDkBtd61Q

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » June 15th, 2024, 6:58 pm

Wow Bop N Wrestle...that is a name I have not heard in a long time.....

When I was a kid, say 15 around 1986, my mother, step-father and I took a Trailways (bus) across country to visit my Sister in California. You see, this is how poor people traveled back then. I could probably write some short stories about the few times we did this but it is just as dreadful as you can imagine. In any case, the only saving grace was that my Mother would take me to the Toys R Us in Sacremento (which is the only thing that kept me going on the 4 days/3 nights journey from NY to CA). You see, at the time there was no Toys R Us near us in NY so going there was just a fun and incredible experience. My mother let me pick out not one but two video games for my C64. One was Infiltrator (great game) and the other Bop N Wrestle. By the time we got back to NY, I had both instruction manuals memorized as I read them throughout the journey home while listening to one of several cassette tapes on my trusty walkman. I would rate Bop a bit higher due to the fun multiplayer aspect of it. My buddies and I played this game a ton and really enjoyed it. I even enjoyed and think I beat the single player mode but I can't remember. In any case, this game has a special place in my heart even thought it conjures up dreadful memories being on the road! Great review!

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » June 15th, 2024, 8:06 pm

I had this for DOS PC. It seemed tough until I figured out that I could beat every opponent by stomping on them when they were flat on the ground until I could pin them for the win.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » June 15th, 2024, 9:55 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Did you miss the C64 Critic? Well he's back with a brand new review!

I definitely can relate to his memories of watching wrestling on Saturday afternoon. Ric Flair... Andre the Giant... the Samoan Brothers... Hulk Hogan when he was still a bad guy... Good times!

Thoughts?

I would prefer a review of Panther.. hint hint

Eric

Postby Eric » June 17th, 2024, 12:53 pm

I still have some 1980's WWF trading cards somewhere in the back of my closet. Hulk Hogan, Roddy Piper, Andre the Giant, all those guys.

We had some cool stuff for the Commodore 64 when I was a kid. But reading these C64 Critic reviews makes me start to realize how big the game library was.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » June 17th, 2024, 6:54 pm

I love the C64 Critics reviews. Always informative about a system I never had. My fave review being 4th and inches, it is just like being there for an immense battle between two titans of Grid Iron the VG and C64 Critics going head-to-head. Now that is something you need to put on your Pateron channel.
Back to wresting, I had never heard of this game. Being totally useless at wrestling games and having an Atari 800xl for years meant that I could not sample its delights. Though image my joy at seeing that there was an 800xl version, and I managed not to get it, it looks sheer torture. Maybe one for the critic to get then put an Atari vs Commodore mega battle on his Pateron channel.

It is a good review of a game I would never buy. Though I did get one wrestling game on the cube. I was pretty useless at it. I once played my 8 year old nephew. His dad was a karate champion. Well he wiped the floor with me, and then said so sweetly, thanks for letting me win. I was honest and said, you beat me fair and square.

Return to “Review Feedback”