Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Wii console reviews

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Pacman0001

Postby Pacman0001 » January 9th, 2013, 6:32 pm

Pits.  Still, I don't think it's that bad; a new game could surpass it, if that hasn't happened yet.

Orion1

Postby Orion1 » January 12th, 2013, 9:55 pm

The Internet has already decided that ET is the worst game ever.  There's nothing I can say that'll change everyone's mind, but I will say that when you compare ET to other Atari 2600 games, it's not that different in terms of quality.  Below average for the 2600, yes, but the worst, not quite.  I was playing games back then, and I remember quite a few that I despised (eg., Slot Racers), but ET wasn't one of them.  Yes, I'm an old fart.

BTW, there were other Atari games that had pits too.

rift1

Postby rift1 » January 12th, 2013, 10:14 pm

I used to be hard on the critic around here for constantly bashing the PS3's need for game updates, but that was before I ended up buying a 360.  Now all that updating the PS3 has to do just seems laughable.  I never go back and play games on it because you know you're going to have to sit there first and wait for an update.  

Orion1

Postby Orion1 » January 13th, 2013, 12:20 am

Adding to the PS3 conversation, I picked an older game off the shelf, God of War Collection, and placed it into the PS3, only to be prompted about an update.  It was odd because I had bought the game a few months back, and it had already been out a while even when I bought it.  I was surprised that anyone at Sony was still thinking about the game, let alone finding ways to update it.

I can't remember if I had an option to skip the update, but I went through with it.  After it was done, it said the game was now compatible with the Vita through crossplay.  It was a little annoying to sit through all that just for something I'm probably never going to use.

I'm all for updating games in order to correct glitches though.  

LoganRuckman1

Postby LoganRuckman1 » February 4th, 2013, 7:37 pm

Okay, I just noticed this and have yet too truly read them (I did skim a bit), but I'm glad that you finally decided to post reviews for them. One thing though, and this is something I have asked for a lot, so sorry if I'm starting to sound redundant, but I would love to see reviews for portable systems. I feel they deserve the same kind of respect the consoles get, especially considering that a handheld system was the best of it's generation twice in a row (GBA and DS were my favorite of their respective generation), at least in my opinion.

MrLuck87

Re: Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Wii console reviews

Postby MrLuck87 » November 11th, 2015, 9:15 pm

JWK1 wrote:Critic, I love you man, but grading the XBox 360 library as an A- and the PS3 library as a C sounds like a joke comment I'd expect to hear in the fanboy section of IGN or Gametrailers.  It's the same basic library!

JWK1 wrote:
Originally Posted by stikaAgain, it's his opinion, quality is subjective.
Actually, my point wasn't about whether or not the critic liked a large range of PS3 exclusives.  It's the fact that pretty much the ONLY games the critic considered for his grade on the PS3's library was the exclusives.  And that's not objective.

The bottom line is, when it comes to the hardcore games that the Critic reviewed for this generation on the 360, 90% of them were also on the PS3.  Yet, he's reviewing them as though they are 360 exclusives.

I'm actually glad someone else pointed this out. Subjectively preferring the Xbox 360 is one thing but it feels like he's heavily biased towards it. Without getting into it too much here's some things I've noticed.

"After taking a back seat to both Microsoft and Nintendo this generation, the Playstation name doesn't carry nearly the weight it once did."

-Actually PS3 sales picked up heavily and it outsold the Xbox 360. You may want to remove this line from your review.

-Most of the review of the controller talks about the Sixaxis that hasn't been produced since 2007. Most PS3 owners haven't even used it. Some people hate the triggers but that issue is usually solved by using your middle fingers for L2 and R2 or buying a $5 attachment on amazon. Meanwhile there is no mention about the Xbox 360's awful d-pads. Microsoft's first solution was to release a new $60-70 controller with a morphing d-pad that was still sub par. They eventually got it right with the Xbox One controller.

-My biggest issue is with the games review. It's already been brought up that most of the good games for Xbox 360 are available for the PS3 as well but so many key titles weren't even reviewed. There's a review of the so-so Killzone 3 but not a review of the critically acclaimed Killzone 2? Ratchet and Clank:Future Tools of Destruction gets an A- but no other games in the series are reviewed? Same goes for God of War. I get that he probably won't enjoy Demon's Souls but the Wipeout games were reviewed favorably on other systems. It seems bizarre that Wipeout HD isn't reviewed.

-Plenty of mention about how hard drive space quickly fills up but no mention of how easy it is to upgrade your hard drive. I spent about $40 for a 1TB one while your stuck using official Microsoft ones that cost a lot more.

-One final issue is expensive being listed as a con. If you spent $50 a year for Xbox Live since 2005 you would have spent an additional $500 on your 360.

I enjoyed all 3 consoles last generation but a lot of the criticism towards the PS3 makes no sense.

Atariboy

Re: Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Wii console reviews

Postby Atariboy » November 12th, 2015, 1:23 am

MrLuck87 wrote:Plenty of mention about how hard drive space quickly fills up but no mention of how easy it is to upgrade your hard drive. I spent about $40 for a 1TB one while your stuck using official Microsoft ones that cost a lot more..

If you even can find one new that's an official Microsoft product. After the 120 gig hard drive was superseded (which Microsoft sold for something crazy like $150, which I foolishly paid for back around 2008 or so), they just seemed to stop making official replacement HDD's widely available and seem to have discontinued them years ago at this point.

Usually if you wanted to upgrade your hard drive on the 360, it meant just buying a new console with a higher capacity drive, going with a used hard drive, or venturing into the bootleg marketplace and hoping for the best (And the worry in earlier years that you might be banned, something that never came to pass). And if you did the latter, it required that you restore a missing partition on your own if you wanted to enjoy backwards compatibility. It's a simple fix if you own the transfer cable that allows it to be attached to your PC via a USB port, but it's certainly annoying and you still never know the quality of the drive that you purchased.

Full support for external hard drives on the 360 for non-media purposes, a very late addition within the past year or so, helps these days. But even then it's not a perfect solution since the console doesn't see such a drive as an equivalent to a proper 360 HDD and thus doesn't enable backwards compatibility or work for those titles with mandatory installs (An annoyance that was once unique to the PS3 and which the Critic frequently cited as an issue, but which become increasingly commonplace in later years on the 360 for AAA releases).

I took some flak around here for this a few years ago, but I was quite fond of Sony's solution. The ability for the end-user to easily upgrade their own console with standard laptop HDD's was a great feature and sure beat Microsoft's proprietary drives or purchasing a ton of memory cards and juggling them around as you switched between games like we had to do during the PS1/PS2 years.

Return to “Review Feedback”