2013/3/10: Wii: Bit.Trip Complete, Centipede Infestation

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 10th, 2013, 1:19 pm

Here are two games that look great on the surface, but lack fun.

Like many modern games, the length of play is long at the cost of quality.

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » March 10th, 2013, 1:38 pm

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]Here are two games that look great on the surface, but lack fun.

Like many modern games, the length of play is long at the cost of quality.[/QUOTE]

I can't disagree with your score for Bit.Trip Complete, though I would probably give it around a 'C-' since I do like Runner quite a bit.  For the most part, though, these games lack the "just one more time" quality that great classic games have.  I actually played Beat the other night, and I realized why I haven't touched it in a while - the levels drag on way too long.  After playing through it once, I was done. 

Now, if you are looking for a fun under-the-radar title where the games are short and sweet, I recommend Guinness World Records: The Video Game.  I know it looks like shovelware, and there are a few too many games where you simply pump the Wiimote and nunchuk up and down as fast as you can, but there are some fun and addictive games here.  Every time I play it, it seems like I get hooked on one of the games and play it for a good hour.

Irenicus1

Postby Irenicus1 » March 10th, 2013, 10:38 pm

Challenge does matter.

I just picked up Space Invaders Extreme for the PSP. I got bored with it before my lives ran out. Too bad, because once I removed the obnoxious backgrounds the game had potential.

Speaking of backgrounds; ever feel like games are throwing in way too much visual effects into their games? I love bright contrasting colors, but when important objects start to blend into background objects something is really wrong. For example I prefer Tetris on NES over Tetris on the Wii for this very reason.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » March 11th, 2013, 6:03 am

Wow, a review I disagree with almost as much as Pole Position II on 7800.  Didn't see that coming.  I can't see disliking the Bit Trip series at all. 

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 11th, 2013, 4:31 pm

The Bit Trip review was tough, because my heart was telling me to like it.  The games are like a love letter to the 70's, with a musical quality to boot.

However, when I'm playing a game and I can't wait for it to end, there's no way I can recommend it.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » March 11th, 2013, 9:42 pm

My advice would be to simply give Void more time.  I hated that one, then one time it just "clicked."  For me, it's a lot like Kaboom.  Once you zone out and start to play on reflex, that one gets to be amazing. 

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » March 12th, 2013, 12:10 am

[QUOTE=Atarifever]My advice would be to simply give Void more time.  I hated that one, then one time it just "clicked."  For me, it's a lot like Kaboom.  Once you zone out and start to play on reflex, that one gets to be amazing. [/QUOTE]

Actually, I too should probably give a couple of the games, including Void, another try.  I probably didn't give them a fair shake, though they definitely didn't grab my interest the first time around.

But like I said, I do like Runner quite a bit.  It's the only game where I felt like playing it over and over. 

Overall, I feel a lot like the Critic - I want to really like these games a lot, and I can't deny that they are technically well-made and have great production values.  I just wish I had more fun when playing them.

Return to “Review Feedback”