2013/4/25: Saturn: Earthworm Jim 2, TNN Motorsports Hardcore 4x4, X-Men: Children of the Atom

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2013/4/25: Saturn: Earthworm Jim 2, TNN Motorsports Hardcore 4x4, X-Men: Children of the Atom

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 25th, 2013, 6:37 pm

Here's some Saturn action for you all to sink your teeth into.  All three reviews are new.

rift1

Postby rift1 » April 25th, 2013, 7:14 pm

there is no run button in x:men cota.  there may be a button on the saturn controller that the games maps 3 punches to, which is the shortcut for run, but i wouldn't call that a dedicated run button like what MK games use.  

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » April 25th, 2013, 7:29 pm

I enjoyed the reviews and have found X-Men Children of Atom to be one of the better US 2D fighting game releases. It's a lot of the fun and the 2D graphics hold up really well. It obviously isn't the best fighter on the Saturn but if you've played the rest this is still a really solid game. I wish it had a few more fighters though.

TheLastNightmare1

Postby TheLastNightmare1 » April 25th, 2013, 7:43 pm

You know you've been playing the Gameboy Advance too long when you look at what 3rd party publishers did with the Saturn's 4 sided polygons and cry for the beauty. "Look, the track is polygon based too! And the pixels are so small! Like bricks, instead of wooden planks!"

Okay, maybe not cry, but I admit I ran to the review because I couldn't wait to see you admit the Saturn could pull off respectable 3d in the right hands. It may not compare to Virtua Fighter 2 running in high resolution, or the sheer artistry of Panzer Dragoon saga, but it...actually, outside of Daytona USA having only 32 polygons per environment to work with, it looks better than this crap. Nevermind.

As for the rest, your Earthworm Jim reviews have put into words why I usually enjoy the thought of playing them more than actually playing them and why it works in reverse for X-Men: Children of the Atom.

If you keep writing reviews this high quality, rather than bashing games you don't understand (Slime World) or relying heavily on gay bashing jokes (thank you for at least toning those down), your site will become the only retrogaming resource anyone needs. 

I really don't think people are aware of how valuable a resource this place is, or how appreciate how difficult it is to make something like it. If your site ever goes offline, there's really no replacement...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 26th, 2013, 4:49 pm

LastNightmare -
Thank you for the kind words.  I'm always glad to hear that I echo the sentiments of other gamers.  Instead of considering what everyone else thinks about a game, I try to imagine myself as the first person to ever play it.
VGC

michaeld1

Postby michaeld1 » April 27th, 2013, 10:12 am

I'm a little confused why the Saturn Earthworm Jim 2 is worse than the Genesis one. I mean, they're both the same, except for the improved presentation on Saturn, yet, with the exception of the Lorenzo's Soil stage, you added criticisms to the Saturn review that can clearly be levied onto the Genesis version (and the SNES version, for that matter), like the password system, yet they weren't mentioned for the Genesis review and it got scored almost an entire letter grade higher. Were those issues more acceptable on Genesis for some reason to explain the score difference or was the Saturn one rated lower in comparison to the other games of its type on that system?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 27th, 2013, 11:20 am

I think the controls are a little tighter on the Genesis version.  It's hard to put my finger on it, but when played back to back the Genesis seemed more fun.  Also, no load times.

Still, it is basically the same game. 

Verm1

Postby Verm1 » April 27th, 2013, 3:38 pm

I'd have mentioned why Lorenzo's soil stage is more annoying on the Saturn than Genesis.

I'm imaging it's because the Genesis version doesn't have that local light around Jim that all other versions of the game do (i.e. the SNES version has it just like the Saturn version).

michaeld1

Postby michaeld1 » April 30th, 2013, 8:28 pm

OK, that makes more sense, then.  Although, as someone who's primary experience with Earthworm Jim 2 is the Super NES version, I do want to state that the spotlight around Jim in the Lorenzo's Soil stage is only present in 2 locations, unlike the Saturn version, where it's there all the time.  Everywhere else it's all bright, like on Genesis.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » May 1st, 2013, 10:25 am

I will respectfully disagree with the Critic's grade on EWJ 2 for the Saturn.  This is easily the best version of the game.  For me the upgrade to the music and sound fx alone makes it worth the upgrade.  I also think the frame-rate is better and the game just plays smoother on the Saturn.  So while it is essentially a port, it is also the definitive version of the game in my mind.  If you're a person with a Saturn and you love Earthworm Jim, you owe it to yourself to track down this version of the game.

Return to “Review Feedback”