2013/7/7: Tiger Game.com: Centipede, Resident Evil 2, Sonic Jam

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 7th, 2013, 10:22 am

What do you think of my new set of Game.com reviews?

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » July 7th, 2013, 10:46 am

Resident Evil two on a hand held.  Fab.  Centipede in all its glory.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » July 7th, 2013, 12:01 pm

I understand you grade in relation to other games on the system but I still don't get how a game that you couldn't imagine playing to the end (Resident Evil 2) can warrant a B ?

Pacman0001

Postby Pacman0001 » July 7th, 2013, 12:53 pm

It's nice to hear that there are some decent games on the system.  Sorry Sonic Jam was so painful. 

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 7th, 2013, 1:11 pm

[QUOTE=Sut]I understand you grade in relation to other games on the system but I still don't get how a game that you couldn't imagine playing to the end (Resident Evil 2) can warrant a B ?[/QUOTE]

The bar for the Game.com is pretty low.  If I can enjoy a game for an hour+, it's already above average.

Also playing into it is the fact that I'm the VGC and have 20 games to review at a given time.

PSX1

Postby PSX1 » July 7th, 2013, 1:37 pm

More Game.com reviews!! Great stuff.  Never played Centipede, but of all the Game.com games I was most looking forward to your reviews of Sonic Jam and RE2.  Like I've said before about those games, I found Sonic Jam to be completely unplayable (definitely an F game), and I was pleasantly surprised by RE2.  I agree with you that I couldn't put more than an hour or two of my life into RE2, but by Game.com standards it is definitely worthy of a B.  Of the remaining Game.com games, I'm probably most looking forward to your review of Jurassic Park.. Of the four crappy games I had as a kid (Lights Out, Quiz Wiz, Williams Arcade, and Jurassic Park) the JP game was my favorite, so I wonder how it holds up today.

Also Critic, I recently picked up an N-Gage... I have to admit that I'm pretty surprised by it, because it has a decent lineup of games.  I mention that because it is much better than the Game.com, so if you're at the point of reviewing for the lowly Game.com than you might want to consider looking into getting an N-Gage as well.  Graphically, it's in the range of a Game Boy Advance.  I've bought about 15 games with mine and I think they're pretty good.  It's a flawed system, definitely not on the level of a Nintendo, Sega, or Sony portable, but it's much better than Game.com (and even Neo Geo Pocket in my opinion).  Most of the good N-gage games came out towards the tail end of its life, but by then it had earned such a bad reputation that no one cared anymore.  If you can enjoy playing things on the Game.com, CD-i, Jaguar, etc., then you just might find a few gems on the N-Gage too.

P.S. Typo in Sonic Jam.  It says "pause we you grab a ring", but "we" should be "when".

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » July 7th, 2013, 2:44 pm

there was a typo on Sonic Jam, you said "we" instead of "when". Still, I enjoyed the reviews quite a bit. It's crazy how many high profile games the console got yet it simply didn't have the muscle to do many of them service. Sonic Jam just sounds terrible.

scotland171

Postby scotland171 » July 7th, 2013, 2:51 pm

Always fun to read your review, VGC. 

For RE2 you note that the Game.com can only run games at a slow deliberate pace, and yet right on the Centipede review you say the action is frantic and non-stop.   Those statements contradict each other.  Also, I don't think its necessary to describe Centipede as a 2D game.   It is, but that's so obvious you may as well say 'the eight legged spider'. 

I also agree with Sut about the grading.  Yes, the grades are all internal to the system, and the Tiger monochrome Gamecom has a low bar, but there should be something that shouts that fact out.  Since you have already used a comparison between the SNES and the Genesis for reviews, shouldn't the Game.com be rated versus the other handhelds of the time, Nintendo Gameboy Color, Neogeo Pocket Color and the Wonderswan Color.   Just seems deceptive to say if you get an hour of fun from a game, it gets a B or better, when other times you have said that even a game getting a C on your site is a respectable score.

DaHeckIzDat1

Postby DaHeckIzDat1 » July 7th, 2013, 4:53 pm

I'm genuinely surprised to see a favorable review on Resident Evil 2.  I clicked on the link expecting for you to tear it apart.  Interesting.

a1

Postby a1 » July 7th, 2013, 6:00 pm

[QUOTE=scotland17]Always fun to read your review, VGC. 

For RE2 you note that the Game.com can only run games at a slow deliberate pace, and yet right on the Centipede review you say the action is frantic and non-stop.   Those statements contradict each other.  Also, I don't think its necessary to describe Centipede as a 2D game.   It is, but that's so obvious you may as well say 'the eight legged spider'. 

I also agree with Sut about the grading.  Yes, the grades are all internal to the system, and the Tiger monochrome Gamecom has a low bar, but there should be something that shouts that fact out.  Since you have already used a comparison between the SNES and the Genesis for reviews, shouldn't the Game.com be rated versus the other handhelds of the time, Nintendo Gameboy Color, Neogeo Pocket Color and the Wonderswan Color.   Just seems deceptive to say if you get an hour of fun from a game, it gets a B or better, when other times you have said that even a game getting a C on your site is a respectable score.[/QUOTE]

I think if you're getting a Game.com then you know what you're getting into, and it makes sense to score relative to the sytem for the sake of people who buy one. A casual gamer isn't going to get a Game.com because he gave Resident Evil 2 a B.

Return to “Review Feedback”