2013/7/30: Xbox 360: Far Cry 3, Lost Planet 2, Risen 2: Dark Waters

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 30th, 2013, 6:47 pm

I'll be curious to know what you think about this set of summer-themed 360 games.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » July 30th, 2013, 7:12 pm

I loved Far Cry 3, I've give it an A for awesome! I loved the item crafting, though admittedly it was kind of annoying at times trying to hunt certain animals down, but it's not so bad once you learn the best locations to find certain animals.  I found myself enjoying the game the more I played it.

Lost Planet 2 certainly dosen't deserve an F IMO, it was just as fun if not mroeso then the first game, can't wait til the third one comes out next month!  Never tried co-op so I can't comment on that.  I never had any problems with the controls, they worked just fine for me, and I never felt like it was "clearly impossible" for me to complete a mission, even that one boss where you use the massive railway gun wasn't too much trouble for me to do solo.  For me an example of a truly "wretched" shooter is Damnation, now that game fails miserably in every single aspect.

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » July 30th, 2013, 9:19 pm

[QUOTE=darkrage6]

I loved Far Cry 3, I've give it an A for awesome! I loved the item crafting, though admittedly it was kind of annoying at times trying to hunt certain animals down, but it's not so bad once you learn the best locations to find certain animals.  I found myself enjoying the game the more I played it.

Lost Planet 2 certainly dosen't deserve an F IMO, it was just as fun if not mroeso then the first game, can't wait til the third one comes out next month!  Never tried co-op so I can't comment on that.  I never had any problems with the controls, they worked just fine for me, and I never felt like it was "clearly impossible" for me to complete a mission, even that one boss where you use the massive railway gun wasn't too much trouble for me to do solo.  For me an example of a truly "wretched" shooter is Damnation, now that game fails miserably in every single aspect.

[/QUOTE]
I have not play FC3 but what I really want to know is it better than FC2.  That game was a real bore.  Everyone liked it and then I bought it and was like okay.  Okay multiplayer.

I with DR here.  LP2 is not that bad.  Damnation is.

Also I think you are being a wee bit harsh on Risen 2.  C+  Though it is probably the best review I have seen for it.

Gilly1

Postby Gilly1 » July 30th, 2013, 11:01 pm

WOW! All I can say about Far Cry 3, my favorite game of last year, getting anything less than a B.
Interesting though.

Edward1

Postby Edward1 » July 30th, 2013, 11:23 pm

Critic, I get the feeling you don't like open world games with minor RPG elements like Far Cry 3.  I notice you tend to give games like this lower reviews than more linear games.  I guess they are two different types of games.  I like both types of games though. 

I actually think Far Cry 3 is among the best of the open world exploration action type genre.  I think the gameworld is fantastic, the fast traveling speeds things up, and it truly feels like you can do anything you want.  I'm generally not a fan of crafting, but I don't think the crafting system is really anywhere near as cumbersome as it can be in other games.  (Elder Scrolls, I'm looking at you.)  I don't think its that big a deal that you have to hunt a goat to get a second weapon, you can find them anywhere. I love this game and its a huge improvement over Far Cry 2, which you would probably hate (I hated it, and I enjoy these types of games.)

However critic, download a game off XBLA called Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon.  Its only 15 bucks and gets to the action much quicker than Far Cry 3. You would probably like it better. Its a bizarre parody of 80s action movies.  This trailer should tell you everything you need to know about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dofacvjRkc

Astrosmasher, Far Cry 3 is a huge improvement over Far Cry 2.   It actually makes Far Cry 2 completely irrelevant.  I can't comment on the multiplayer, because I haven't played the multiplayer in either game though.  However, both games seem to be single player focused to me.

Imagine what Far Cry 2 would be like without having to hunt for malaria pills, no responding guard posts attacking you every 20 feet, better melee and stealth abilities, no weapons jamming, a better gameworld that feels more natural, the ability to fast travel to anyplace you've been, slightly better graphics, a character leveling up system,  and far better missions. (Every mission is not assassinate guy x)  That game is Far Cry 3.  I hated Far Cry 2 but love Far Cry 3.   If you were intrigued by the idea of Far Cry 2 but found its execution lacking, give Far Cry 3 a chance.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » July 31st, 2013, 1:13 am

Edward-Far Cry 3 is definitely better then part 2, I enjoyed Far Cry 2 but I do recognize it's flaws, FC3 it takes out a lot of the frustrating aspects like malaria pills, having to drive long distances, respawning enemies at guard posts etc and just really streamlines the gameplay as a whole.

Risen 2 sounds pretty horrible(I never even heard of the first Risen game until recently), Angry Joe's review touched on many of the things VGC said about the game.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » July 31st, 2013, 2:22 am

wow... After all the glowing reviews for Far Cry 3 I was surprised to see anything less then a B. Still, your reasons seemed justified from what I've heard about the game but honestly I've never played it (or cared to). The other two were interesting. I've heard mixed things about Lost Planet 2 and was once again surprised to see such a low score. Still, I've heard the single player mode isn't that great and considering that you don't seem to play online too often, I can understand the score. I thought it was funny when you mentioned how the controls were so bad in Risen 2 that you could accidentally walk off balconies. Are you sure your pirates weren't drunk? That would explain the poor controls.

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » July 31st, 2013, 11:24 am

[QUOTE=darkrage6]

Edward-Far Cry 3 is definitely better then part 2, I enjoyed Far Cry 2 but I do recognize it's flaws, FC3 it takes out a lot of the frustrating aspects like malaria pills, having to drive long distances, respawning enemies at guard posts etc and just really streamlines the gameplay as a whole.

Risen 2 sounds pretty horrible(I never even heard of the first Risen game until recently), Angry Joe's review touched on many of the things VGC said about the game.

[/QUOTE]
Well DR.  I have changed my mind about Risen 2 B+.  The thing about it was it was made by a small team of programmers.  I have Risen and Risen 2.  Like Far cry and Far Cry 2 the first one was better. 
I love RPGs and the critic just does not.  I mean every time he puts up a review of a baseball game and says it is good.  I think it looks exactly like the last one.  What I am saying is different strokes for different folks.
Time for him to try (VGC) Port Royal 3?

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » July 31st, 2013, 4:32 pm

To each their own, I suppose, but Far Cry 3 is one of my 10 favorite games of the generation.  It's easily one of the best games released in the last year and it hangs easily with modern classics like Tomb Raider, The Last of Us, and Bioshock Infinite.  I'm very surprised you weren't into this game more, Critic.

That said, I hated how bad the language was.  When I feel embarrassed to play a game around my wife, I know something's wrong.  Other than that... wow, what a fun game!  Graphics, gameplay, open world, music, production values.  And how can you hold anything against a game that lets you set a tiger on fire and make a backpack out of a shark??  Come on!  This game's amazing.

Return to “Review Feedback”