2013/10/13: Playstation 3: Dragon's Crown

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 14th, 2013, 8:47 pm

Josh brings up a very good point.  It seems like every one of the "updates" tend to be a lot less fun, despite the modern technology employed.

I think part of the problem is that publishers don't put a lot of effort into 2D games, because they are regarded as so easy to program.   After all, 2D games are a dime a dozen on smart phones and Xbox Live.  

The point they miss is that the programmers of the original games spent a lot of time making sure the game was balanced, easy to control, and fun.  

You can just follow a standard formula to create a 2D beat-em-up and assume it's going to be as good as Streets of Rage.  I think that's part of the reason that Flash games are frowned upon by some.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » October 14th, 2013, 8:58 pm

One updated game I rather enjoyed was TMNT: Re-Shelled.

There are some pretty good flash games, though the beat-em-up ones are pretty forgettable.  By far the best flash game i've ever played is Anaksha: Dark Angel.

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » October 15th, 2013, 9:01 am

[QUOTE]Originally Posted by TheLastNightmare
Discovering that this game really isn't the greatest beat 'em up ever made wasn't a surprise, but seriously? It's really that bad?[/QUOTE]

No.  It's not.

I love the Critic's site and his reviews but look at any of the major review sites (GameTrailers, Machinima, IGN, joystiq, etc) and you'll realize he's in the minority.  Destructoid is pretty tough with their scores and they gave it 95/100.  Keep in mind that the Critic has said he didn't like Odin Sphere or Muramasa either, so this isn't all that surprising.

There seems to be even more of a consensus among gamers.  Folks love it.  I don't know who watches what on youtube, but I follow The Happy Console Gamer pretty closely and he had an episode dedicated to the game where he called it the greatest old school action RPG he's ever played (here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x78V-NmZw1c).

And on a personal level, I've loved the game.  So much that I bought it twice!  It's one of my favorite games of 2013.  I got my warrior up to level 20 on the PS3 version and now I'm looking to start over with the Elf on the Vita version.  It's a fantastic game and most who love old school, 2D games like this think so... except the Critic.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 15th, 2013, 8:28 pm

You need to remember my unofficial slogan: I hate everything!!  Just kidding.

On paper Dragon's Crown is an easy A.  It's got everything: awesome graphics, 2D gameplay, depth, and multiplayer action.  So I think mentally I started with the mindset that the game was an A.

Then I started playing and I just didn't think it was all that fun.  I tried a few different characters.  I played coop with a few friends and their reaction was equally lukewarm. 

It should be noted that the game is NOT bad.  A "D" grade from me is probably equivalent to a C on most sites (if not higher).  

To be honest I'm glad most critics like it, because I really would like to see more big budget beat-em-ups on the consoles.

SpaceKitty1

Postby SpaceKitty1 » October 16th, 2013, 8:39 pm

Urgh, I'm surprised to see that you missed the mark so badly on this one. I've been lurking and reading reviews here for years, and even though there have been quite a few that I didn't agree with, this is the first one that actually irked me enough to create an account.

It makes me sad to see all the people on here who will not be experiencing Dragon's Crown... if ever there was a reason for an old-school gamer to own a PS3, this would be it. I'm 150 hours in, platinumed it ages ago, and will probably still be playing it when Christmas comes around.

So anyway, about that review...

I'm not sure how creating a character turned into an extended ordeal for you, when there's only a single screen. All you have to do is pick a name, color, and voice. Actually, you don't even have to do THAT... you can just click on 'Create' and accept the defaults, thereby completely bypassing the entire grueling experience of selecting three options. If you'll be playing online, you can also add short quotes for your character, but that's entirely optional.

Using the digital pad to control your character instead of the analog pad is indeed an option. It's in the 'Options' menu, oddly enough, and highly recommended... this kind of game was meant to be played with the accuracy of a d-pad.

The graphics look wonderful, especially on a big ol' HD screen. Things can get chaotic at times, especially if you're in a full party, but that's all part of the fun. If you're soloing, it shouldn't be an issue at all. At least until you get into Infernal difficulty, but you should be well-adapted by then.

Finally, the look and feel of the combat definitely isn't "all wrong." I dont even know where to begin with that one... the controls are spot on, and landing combos, spells, and juggles never stops being deeply satisfying. Plus, it just gets better and better as you fill out your skills and start getting some decent gear. Maybe the fact that you were playing with the analog pad made things feel mushy or something? I dunno.

Anyway, for anyone who's on the fence about picking this up, here's some good stuff:

- Six character classes, each of which requires a completely different playstyle
- Beautiful hand-drawn HD graphics
- Tons of loot to, uh... loot
- Super-accurate collision detection
- Multiple ways to build your character to match your playing style
- A 99 level post-game dungeon to ransack for even more loot
- Play solo, in an online party, with a friend on the couch, or with AI teammates
- Boobs! Owlbears! Monty Python references!!

And no hard feelings, Mr. Critic. I still love you [smile]

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 16th, 2013, 11:28 pm

You make a compelling argument SpaceKitty.  Thanks for chiming in!

Maybe one day when I get a working Playstation 3 I'll go back and try the digital control option.

Gentlegamer1

Postby Gentlegamer1 » October 17th, 2013, 11:19 am

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]You need to remember my unofficial slogan: I hate everything!!  Just kidding.

On paper Dragon's Crown is an easy A.  It's got everything: awesome graphics, 2D gameplay, depth, and multiplayer action.  So I think mentally I started with the mindset that the game was an A.

Then I started playing and I just didn't think it was all that fun.  I tried a few different characters.  I played coop with a few friends and their reaction was equally lukewarm. 

It should be noted that the game is NOT bad.  A "D" grade from me is probably equivalent to a C on most sites (if not higher).  

To be honest I'm glad most critics like it, because I really would like to see more big budget beat-em-ups on the consoles.[/QUOTE]Most critics give games at least a 7 for production values, resulting in the 7-9 review scale. To me, that's anti-criticism.

If you didn't enjoy a game, even though it looks pretty, it deserves a low or mediocre grade. That's criticism. That's one reason why your reviews are much more legitimate to me than the "professional enthusiast" review sites.

Return to “Review Feedback”